Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sub and Amp combo (w/ stock enclosure)

Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub and Amp combo (w/ stock enclosure)

I think I'm getting one of the amps below...

NVX JAD900.5 (sub channel: 220W @ 4ohms / 440W @ 2 ohms)
NVX JAD900.5 (JAD9005) 900W RMS Full Range Class D 5-Channel Car Amplifier

Or

Alpine PDR-V75 (sub channel: 250W @ 4ohms / 350W @ 2 ohms)
Alpine PDR-V75 (pdrv75) 750W PDR Series 5-Channel Class D Car

I'm looking for ideas for a 8" sub to to into the stock enclosure. Looking for help to choose from this list (or suggestion on others):

1. Alpine SWR-8D4 8" Car Subwoofer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D0F2WH6/...I3J23B6P67TL6E

2. Kicker 40CWR84 8" CompR Car Subwoofer
Robot Check

3. Infinity Reference 860w 8-Inch 1,000-Watt High-Performan​ce Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil)
Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 860w 8-Inch 1, 000-Watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil) : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

4. JL Audio 8W3V3-4 8" Single 4-Ohm W3V3 Series Subwoofer
Amazon.com: JL Audio 8W3V3-4 8" Single 4-Ohm W3V3 Series Subwoofer: Electronics

5. Kicker 40CWS84 8" CompS Car Subwoofer
Amazon.com : Kicker 40CWS84 8" CompS Car Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

6. Kicker 40CWD84 8" CompD Car Subwoofer - Each (Black)
Robot Check

Just trying to get the most for my money. Any sub suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

I used a PPI BA2200.5 5 Channel AMP which is very similar to the NVX. I think either of the two AMPS you listed are both good choices. The Sub on the other hand will be the challenge. the factory enclosure inst very big ~.38sft. i think all the ones you listed are shallow mount or close to being., and even thou they say they run well in small boxes sealed enclosures the response is no so good. you'll get more rattle then roll. I used a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 that was supposedly made with jeep in mind. however its still had the same issue of enclosure size. I ended up porting the stock enclosure and tuned it to the Pioneer SUB. It works incredibly well. you can hear the bass coming down the road with the tops on and windows up...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

Cool

I'm looking at a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 to put in my 08 JKU factory sub enclosure, you mentioned porting for better performance Do you have any pic's to point me in the right direction on porting the enclosure?
Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted by gjasonjames
I used a PPI BA2200.5 5 Channel AMP which is very similar to the NVX. I think either of the two AMPS you listed are both good choices. The Sub on the other hand will be the challenge. the factory enclosure inst very big ~.38sft. i think all the ones you listed are shallow mount or close to being., and even thou they say they run well in small boxes sealed enclosures the response is no so good. you'll get more rattle then roll. I used a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 that was supposedly made with jeep in mind. however its still had the same issue of enclosure size. I ended up porting the stock enclosure and tuned it to the Pioneer SUB. It works incredibly well. you can hear the bass coming down the road with the tops on and windows up...
Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, hold on. The Pioneer sub you mention recommends a sealed box size of .5 cu ft and the factory enclosure is .35 so that woofer is not recommended. In fact that Pioneer woofer is recommended for either sealed or infinite baffle mounting, it is not recommended for a ported enclosure at all. Also it is a dual 2 ohm woofer rated at 600w so you will need an amp that will do 500-700w at one ohm or 4 ohms to match up to that woofer. Not a good
Match for the factory enclosure at all (or for the amps you mention)

On ported vs sealed: 99% of the time a ported box will be larger than a sealed box for use with the same woofer. An example, the 8" RF shallow mount calls for a .35 cu ft sealed box or a .6 -.75 cu ft ported box. The Kicker 40CWRT80 requires a .2 -1.25 sealed box or a 1.25-1.75 cu ft ported box. See the pattern? Sealed box requirements are smaller than ported box requirements.

So when you choose a woofer, choose one that fits in the factory enclosure of .38 cu ft or less sealed (ie the RF or Kicker I listed above) and be sure that it matches your amps wattage and ohm requirements. (If your amp does 400w at 1 ohm, choose a dual 2 ohm woofer. If your amp does 400w at 2 ohms you can choose either a dual 1 ohm or dual 4 ohm woofer - see Crutchfield for proper woofer wiring)

A couple of other things about the factory enclosure pre-2015: it is a terribly flexible box and needs a mounting ring. Cut a 1/2" MDF or plywood ring that fits the opening and will allow you to mount your woofer to it (paint it black to match your interior). Stuff your box with fiberfill. It actually "fools" your woofer into thinking it is in a bigger box as much as 20%.

Quick Reply: Sub and Amp combo (w/ stock enclosure)