Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sub box plans

Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRothermel46
I have a 10" subwoofer mounted in the area between the roll bar and back seat of my JKU. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between the 2 and 4 door or what you are going to be mounting it in. After working on it trying different mounts for about 6 months I found something that is pretty sturdy, doesn't look completely out of place (at least to me), and if somebody really wanted to steal it if I had my top down then I'm at the point of saying their win because it took me an hour and a half to get it in and completely tightened down the way I wanted it. When I get a chance to take some pictures of it I will try to post them. Altogether I have about $50 into the box and mount but more than I would like to count in hours of building and installation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-95319056.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	612651
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 10" subwoofer mounted in the area between the roll bar and back seat of my JKU. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between the 2 and 4 door or what you are going to be mounting it in. After working on it trying different mounts for about 6 months I found something that is pretty sturdy, doesn't look completely out of place (at least to me), and if somebody really wanted to steal it if I had my top down then I'm at the point of saying their win because it took me an hour and a half to get it in and completely tightened down the way I wanted it. When I get a chance to take some pictures of it I will try to post them. Altogether I have about $50 into the box and mount but more than I would like to count in hours of building and installation.

Name:	image-3605278981.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	612652
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

This is going into a 2012 4dr. Do you have a picture of the other side (inside shot)? What sub is the box loaded with?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crush12JK
This is going into a 2012 4dr. Do you have a picture of the other side (inside shot)? What sub is the box loaded with?

Name:	image-3869517152.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	612664

This is the inside shot, sub is a Polk db1040 DVC running off of a sound stream Picasso nano 5 channel amp with Polk db651 and db6501 speakers in the stock locations with my stock HU
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Attachment 612664

This is the inside shot, sub is a Polk db1040 DVC running off of a sound stream Picasso nano 5 channel amp with Polk db651 and db6501 speakers in the stock locations with my stock HU
That's nice. What's the box volume? What's the box depth? How do you like it? This is about the same setup I'm going to have. I'm running away from the Polk db1040 DVC because of the pole vent and I don't want the box to stick out into the cargo area (depth of 6 inches.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crush12JK
That's nice. What's the box volume? What's the box depth? How do you like it? This is about the same setup I'm going to have. I'm running away from the Polk db1040 DVC because of the pole vent and I don't want the box to stick out into the cargo area (depth of 6 inches.
I honestly don't remember what the exact volume is but it was somewhere in the area of .7 cu ft. I went with the sealed enclosure for it because it fit the area that I wanted it to be in and would fit the volume required. As far as the depth I would have to go measure it which I don't have access to a tape measure but by a rough guess from what I can come up with it is around 6 1/2" give or take a couple fractions of an inch. It's hidden enough that the cone of the sub just sticks out to where it could possibly be hit. In the future I'm hoping to make some sort of cover/shield for it due to having a kid that will probably throw something in the back and hit the speaker and ruin my day. As far as the sound goes I couldn't be happier with it. Driving down the highway with the top down and doors off I can still hear and feel the bass as well as the rest of the speakers which is the improvement that I was looking for. It's protected enough that I just had 23 cinder blocks loaded in the back and still had great sound on the drive home.

Name:	image-3257673536.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	612697
Old 05-29-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XrayTech88
Car toys built this custom box for me and matched the black carpet as well. It houses a 10" woofer. It makes a good arm rest too.

They also hid my amp on the drivers side foot well.
Any chance you can take some pics pointing up into the footwell to show how the mounting plate for the amp is attached. I'm ready to do the audio in dash thing this summer, and have resigned myself to just winging it when the time comes, with some brackets, cable ties, mdf and other options to hand, and just making it all work somehow. If you could take and post these you'd be helping me a great deal. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Suggestion for you (If you haven't gotten too far along). Build the sub enclosure in the factory location. I was able to glass an enclosure in the factory location that didn't take up any more space and expanded the internal volume to .55 cu ft. It didn't stick up over the top of the tub so it wasn't hanging out there to be stolen, I could open the storage door below and looked somewhat factory. This was my first prototype Sub that I built the weekend I got my Jeep. Great with the hard top on, ok with the soft top, but dropped off considerably with no top. I eventually sold it and kept moving my woofers forward so I could get bass with the top off. This one has a 10" Rockford Fosgate shallow.

Name:	IMG_6293.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	612757
Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

A bit off topic but I'm also looking for a sub solution and, based upon what you could reasonably expect from a Jeep, can't decide if a custom underseat design would be worth it over a compact all-in unit. The time and money to make something, with the extra parts and pieces to tie together, box, amp, cabling, woofer, is it going to be that much better, again considering this is a Jeep? Pricing out a reasonable woofer, amp and cables, add about $40 for a custom box, I figured this would run a minimum of $250 to $300.

If I am only looking to round out the music, across the whole range of classical to house, would a compact solution do the trick? Along with Kicker, Kenwood and many others, I found this:

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/all-...28-vpas10.html

which puts a 10in sub from a decent brand into the mix. Any user feedback from this and other all-in underseat offerings?

Sorry for hijacking, just wanted to throw in another perspective while soliciting some feedback on the options possible.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by antpink
A bit off topic but I'm also looking for a sub solution and, based upon what you could reasonably expect from a Jeep, can't decide if a custom underseat design would be worth it over a compact all-in unit. The time and money to make something, with the extra parts and pieces to tie together, box, amp, cabling, woofer, is it going to be that much better, again considering this is a Jeep? Pricing out a reasonable woofer, amp and cables, add about $40 for a custom box, I figured this would run a minimum of $250 to $300. If I am only looking to round out the music, across the whole range of classical to house, would a compact solution do the trick? Along with Kicker, Kenwood and many others, I found this: http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/all-...28-vpas10.html which puts a 10in sub from a decent brand into the mix. Any user feedback from this and other all-in underseat offerings? Sorry for hijacking, just wanted to throw in another perspective while soliciting some feedback on the options possible.
I came really close to doing something similar, but one thing I like about matts custom unit is it virtually impossible to steal/remove from car without removing the seat. I run doorless a lot and stealthy design was worth the extra bucks to me.

Quick Reply: Sub box plans