Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sub box plans

Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not get a truckbed box whatever you do!
Make sure if you are making the box yourself you know the recommended dimensions.
Do yourself a favor and get a 12. If your gonna get 10s you have to get two. Otherwise you will never hear it.
One 12 is loud enough especially since it is in the cab.
Look for something that is around 350 - 650
Chances are you are gonna want it louder at some point. You can always turn it down but dont limit yourself 😂
I personally run a 1000 mono block clarion to a 1000RMS incriminator audio lethal injection. I also have Polk audio mids, co axils and tweets. Best sound system I have ever heard in a jeep.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crush12JK
There's been some progress on this project. The box is built, glued, and screwed. I purchased a Sundown SD-3 10in sub and that got delivered. I've never used anything by Sundown, but just doing an inspection I'm impressed. I also picked up a speaker terminal cup, some carpet and adhesive. The holes for the speaker terminals and sub are cut. I pre-drilled the holes for the speaker terminal cup. I'm using some small wood screws for it. I drilled all the holes for the sub and mounted 10-24 T nuts with a little glue (just in case). I'm waiting for delivery of a 1.5in x 1.5in x 1/4in angle aluminum stock. I mocked up the mounting using some corner braces, but I don't thing it will hold. The plan is to use the hard top bolt holes (2x) with the angle stock and 3 or 4 bolts through the sub box itself. So close...
Attachment 616269
There's a shop in fort lauderdale florida called SOBE Jeeps which is already making the same type of design you're trying to do. I've heard it in person and they sound very good. Don't take any space in the cargo area. You should have good results with yours. Good Job!
eddy
Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default sub placement

has n e tried to mount sub on tail gate
Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knupe387
has n e tried to mount sub on tail gate
Yes, there have been some posts in the past. You'll have to search.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

It's the home stretch now. I used a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 x 2ft piece of angle aluminum. I cut it to span the two hard top bolt holes and got some spacers to account for the hard top being there (I have my soft top on right now).
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150716_150226.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	618183
I lined up the box where I wanted it to mount to this rail and marked it before carpeting the box. 3x 5/16 bolts were used to go through the back of the box and the rail.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150716_150216.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	618185
My carpeting job is not the greatest(first time), but it's covered. I hooked it up to my amp just to make sure it all worked and it does. Today I'll paint the aluminum bracket black and final assemble the box. Then all I have to do is run a speaker wire and tune my amp. I'll post again when that's done with some final thoughts on how this sounds.

Quick Reply: Sub box plans