Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Switch-Pros SEMA Award Winning SP8100 Switch Panel Power System

Old 07-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4chick
So, after watching the video and looking on the website, it looks like this unit does not come with a fuse and rely kit like the sPod, correct???
Our power module uses mosfets, they are solid state switches that have built in overcurrent protection. The microcontroller inside the power module also monitors current levels and shuts off the load if there is an overcurrent condition or a short circuit. It is the latest ekectronic automotive technology. So the advantage is that the mosfets are more reliable than relays and turn off 1000 times faster than the time it takes for a fuse to blow.
In the case of a short or an overcurrent condition the output will turn off and the switch indicator led will flash 3 times indicating a fault.

I hope this explains it.

Robert

Last edited by SWITCH-PROS; 07-01-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWITCH-PROS
Our power module uses mosfets, they are solid state switches that have built in overcurrent protection. The microcontroller inside the power module also monitors current levels and shuts off the load if there is an overcurrent condition or a short circuit. It is the latest ekectronic automotive technology. So the advantage is that the mosfets are more reliable than relays and turn off 1000 times faster than the time it takes for a fuse to blow.
In the case of a short or an overcurrent condition the output will turn off and the switch indicator led will flash 3 times indicating a fault.

I hope this explains it.

Robert
Yes it does, Thanks.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Can I use this unit to run my ARB compressor direct? Can you please explain how I would hook it up? I heard you can hook up the SPod directly but mine pulls 52 amps when running. Your thoughts?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ameise2015
Can I use this unit to run my ARB compressor direct? Can you please explain how I would hook it up? I heard you can hook up the SPod directly but mine pulls 52 amps when running. Your thoughts?
If you read the instructions, it says you can run a compressor. But, if you read the install instructions it also says to not go over the switch current output, which is 30AMP. Looking at the diagram is shows you can use switch 8 as a 30AMP max or 2x 15AMP switches. Most compressors are rated for more than 30AMP. So from my reading and to my knowledge, you can NOT run a compressor rated higher than 30AMPs directly to the Switch pros (thats why they recommend you to NOT connect a winch either). You can run the winch and compressor power and ground directly to the battery, then use a relay to use as an ON/OFF switch for your Switch-pro system. Thats exactly what I did with my SPOD, but would do the same for the switch pro system, if I were to get it.

Like I said before, if this kit was available prior to me getting an SPOD, then I would have gotten this, but wired it up the same way. This way you can ensure you are not going to pull more than your max.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mhockey9090

If you read the instructions, it says you can run a compressor. But, if you read the install instructions it also says to not go over the switch current output, which is 30AMP. Looking at the diagram is shows you can use switch 8 as a 30AMP max or 2x 15AMP switches. Most compressors are rated for more than 30AMP. So from my reading and to my knowledge, you can NOT run a compressor rated higher than 30AMPs directly to the Switch pros (thats why they recommend you to NOT connect a winch either). You can run the winch and compressor power and ground directly to the battery, then use a relay to use as an ON/OFF switch for your Switch-pro system. Thats exactly what I did with my SPOD, but would do the same for the switch pro system, if I were to get it.

Like I said before, if this kit was available prior to me getting an SPOD, then I would have gotten this, but wired it up the same way. This way you can ensure you are not going to pull more than your max.

The Switch-Pro will run any ARB compressor without any issues. The ARB compressors have built in relays that interface with the ARB switch harness that is supplied with the compressor. The compressors all have seperate battery connections. The Switch-Pro ARB harness connects to the ARB switch harness connector to turn on the compressor. So the Switch-Pro controls the internal relay of the ARB air compressor which draws less than 1amp.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SWITCH-PROS
The Switch-Pro will run any ARB compressor without any issues. The ARB compressors have built in relays that interface with the ARB switch harness that is supplied with the compressor. The compressors all have seperate battery connections. The Switch-Pro ARB harness connects to the ARB switch harness connector to turn on the compressor. So the Switch-Pro controls the internal relay of the ARB air compressor which draws less than 1amp.
Yes, my ARB compressor came with a harness as well, which I used to connect to my SPOD. The ARB compressors power/negative cables are still connected to the Jeeps battery.

But what I was trying to get at, is the compressors main positive/negative cables are still hooked to the battery, while the switch harness allows you to hook up too a switch system such as a switch-pros or SPOD setup. You can not run the compressors power and negative cables directly to your system, which was a question asked a few post up.

Did that clarify my original reply a little better?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just received my Switch-Pro system yesterday. Awesome quality and love that the switch panel itself is nice and small. Provides a lot more options for mounting location. Can't wait to get it all wired up this weekend. Also the conversation here will be helpful as one of my components that needs a switch is my ARB twin compressor.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Did you install you unit yet?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE="ameise2015;4130273"]Did you install your unit tet?

Quick Reply: Switch-Pros SEMA Award Winning SP8100 Switch Panel Power System