Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Toggle Switch For Multiple Interior Dome Lights

Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toggle Switch For Multiple Interior Dome Lights

I've been searching around and couldn't seem to find much information on this topic - so I thought I would ask.
Essentially, what I am wanting to do is have the standard stock dome lights (dome lamp and cargo lamp - which I've upgraded with a new brighter led light) and two additional dome lights (which will have greed led lights) to be connected to toggle switches which will be installed on the sound bar. What I am trying to do is allow for either regular lighting (via the main stock dome light) or the green lighting, with the switches allowing me to turn on/off as I desire. How could I go about tieing into the existing wiring for the dome light to make this happen?

Would I simply install a switch (for the existing dome light) connecting to the BROWN wire going to the dome lamp and then tie-in to the the wire before the switch for the existing dome light for the wiring for the new green dome lights - which would then connect to the BLACK wire leaving the existing dome lamp (or would it need to tie-in to the YELLOW/LT BLUE wire leaving the cargo lamp?

I think I might be in a little over my head here and don't want to order any parts until I have a firm understanding of what this is going to involve.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

To clear up what I am talking about, I've drawn a diagram. The green and cyan bits are new. The rest is as is.
Is this the way I should wire the lights? Is there a better way?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lighting Diagram.JPG
Views:	1989
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	607939  

Last edited by Jaan Henriksen; 04-24-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome, Jaan!

You could do what you want pretty easily with a 3 position switch. The factory dome feed would connect to the middle pin. The factory domes would then connect to the top or bottom pin. The new domes feed would then connect to the third pin. You could then choose which ones you want to come on by flicking the switch, or have neither come on by centering the switch. I believe the yellow/white wire feeds the OEM domes, so that would be the one to connect to. But make sure you test it first as I haven't done this.

Something like this...

The way you drew it, the stock cargo dome would still come on with the new domes.

Name:	Dual domes.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	607947  

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-24-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help! I realize this is a fairly elementary problem and I appreciate your suggestion - I really like the idea of the 3 way switch.

To understand what you are saying about the cargo lamp still coming on....I need to put the switch before the split to the two existing lights? I was thinking that the split in wiring was to accommodate the push activation switch feature for the rear cargo light. Is that not what is happening?

I was also hoping that I could tie into the wiring near the existing front dome so that I could reduce the amount of wiring I would need to run. I guess this will not be an option.

Below is another diagram utilizing the switch you suggested. Does it appear that I am using it correctly?

Thanks again!

Name:	Light Diagram (3 way switch).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	607962  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jaan Henriksen
Thanks for the help! I realize this is a fairly elementary problem and I appreciate your suggestion - I really like the idea of the 3 way switch.

To understand what you are saying about the cargo lamp still coming on....I need to put the switch before the split to the two existing lights? I was thinking that the split in wiring was to accommodate the push activation switch feature for the rear cargo light. Is that not what is happening?

I was also hoping that I could tie into the wiring near the existing front dome so that I could reduce the amount of wiring I would need to run. I guess this will not be an option.

Below is another diagram utilizing the switch you suggested. Does it appear that I am using it correctly?

Thanks again!
If you put the switch before, either all or none will come on.

Looks like your new design will work to me.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

I haven't seen the oem schematic for the domes but it is most likely two separate feeds to the domes. The first being a constant 12v to the buttons on the domes and the second coming from a relay triggered by the door switches, the key fob, etc..
Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to tie your green lights to your dash lights with a switch in-between so if you are running down the road and you need some light you can flick the switch to have your green led's pop on and not blind you. You would be able to control the amount of light with the dimmer. Then when you are getting out of your car the dome light will pop on and off as before... Don't know if that is a way you would want to go... that would require a bit more wire though.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chemlight_ninja
Another option is to tie your green lights to your dash lights with a switch in-between so if you are running down the road and you need some light you can flick the switch to have your green led's pop on and not blind you. You would be able to control the amount of light with the dimmer. Then when you are getting out of your car the dome light will pop on and off as before... Don't know if that is a way you would want to go... that would require a bit more wire though.

I had not thought of that before...but, I do like the idea. At night, the dash lights would be on anyways and so all I would have to do is turn on the new lights. I will have to look more into this.

Thank you all for your help. It is very much appreciated!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

They wouldn't be as incognito, if that is what you were going for, but they would be dimmable. The LEDs won't come on when you open the door or use the fob to unlock, the regular dome will instead. If that's not an issue, there are some good tap points for the dash lights in the first post of this thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...lights-311176/

Quick Reply: Toggle Switch For Multiple Interior Dome Lights