Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

TPMS and Security Light Flashing Under 32 Degrees

Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and Security Light Flashing Under 32 Degrees

Hi All,

My JK's tire pressure warning and security light have been flashing on and off in temps below 32 degrees for a long time. I haven't been able to figure out what's going on so I'm posting here for the Jeep gurus (or others who have dealt with the same thing). I used to hear a chime with the flashing lights but this year it's decided not to do it any more lol. It only does it while driving and within a minute or two afterwards. Below is what I've tried so far with no luck:

- disconnected battery overnight to reset computer
- rotated/balanced tires
- replaced tires (Discount Tire said they reset the TPMS). Needed some new Duratracs anyways!
- set TPMS threshold to 26 via Superchips Flashpaq - set TPMS to 30 and back to 26 (played with different numbers to see if that helped)
- used different tuner performance settings for 87, 91, etc

I don't have any aftermarket electronics so I don't think it's anything I've done. There's also no security system, power locks, or any of that jazz so I don't know what would cause the red security light to come on (ever). The only time I've seen it light up is with the tire pressure warning.

What could be causing this? Any suggestions for a fix? If you're nearby there's a case of beer for whoever figures this out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1294713994.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	631440  
Old 12-02-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

when it is cold the tire pressure drops. add 38 psi run around for a while and see what happens. I have mine set at 22psi and when I air down I have to pump them back up to around 30 psi for the warning light to go off. once it goes off I can lower them back down to 26-28psi and be good.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Is this a common thing then? I've seen some posts about similar issues online but haven't met anyone else who has dealt with it.

It seems wrong to have to inflate/deflate every day when it's cold out...
Old 12-02-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ABNjk09
Is this a common thing then? I've seen some posts about similar issues online but haven't met anyone else who has dealt with it.

It seems wrong to have to inflate/deflate every day when it's cold out...
you don't. when you lower the psi just do it when it is cold so it does not go too low. If you set the psi when it is warm or the tire is heated up then when it is cold it will go lower. raise it up drive it till the lights go off and then wait until morning or the tire has completely cooled down and then lower it to where you want to be.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same here!

I've had my '09 JKU Automatic for nearly 5 years....never had occurred before until yesterday afternoon. It was about 40 degrees out. Had to open the manual to find out what the little red light was for. Happened twice this morning about 10 degrees out. That's when I noticed the TPMS also lights up. Only lasts about a second and don't know what the heck is going on.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beer Me!

Originally Posted by ABNjk09

What could be causing this? Any suggestions for a fix? If you're nearby there's a case of beer for whoever figures this out!

I had my Wireless Control Module replaced yesterday. I believe this is the fix. It apparently has to do with static buildup (increased at low temperatures with the heater on) within the WCM. There is the potential for it to put your Jeep into a no start situation.

Quick Reply: TPMS and Security Light Flashing Under 32 Degrees