Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Trying to pick windshield lights

Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to pick windshield lights

I did a search but can't seem to find much from this decade on windshield lighting.

Here's my options:

a)Set of 2 OLB or similar with brackets that will run about $200-250
b)Set of 4 eBay Cree LEDs with brackets for about $180-200

My question is...are the "better lights" good enough to warrant having only 2 rather than 4 for the same cost. The OLBs advertise 2200 Lumens and the ebays advertise 1200-1800 for a pair. I'm out of my element here so reaching out for recommendations
Old 05-30-2015, 01:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwithawhy
I did a search but can't seem to find much from this decade on windshield lighting.

Here's my options:

a)Set of 2 OLB or similar with brackets that will run about $200-250
b)Set of 4 eBay Cree LEDs with brackets for about $180-200

My question is...are the "better lights" good enough to warrant having only 2 rather than 4 for the same cost. The OLBs advertise 2200 Lumens and the ebays advertise 1200-1800 for a pair. I'm out of my element here so reaching out for recommendations
Make sure you use spot lights only. Less glare off your hood. I have been looking at the new "osram" led lights. They look like a winner for a pillar lights.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
Make sure you use spot lights only. Less glare off your hood. I have been looking at the new "osram" led lights. They look like a winner for a pillar lights.
I'm probably going to do ORA headlights which are Cree/Osram LEDs so I think those are a winner, I'm just wondering if they are good enough that it warrants having 2 over having 4 at the same cost.

As far as floods vs. spots my original intention was to do a set of each on the cheapies or just floods on the good ones, But if the reflection is that bad I will do spots.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor

You have to ask yourself what you really need the lights for?

In reality 1 pair 6CUBEs on the A pillar would be enough light. Two lights obviously give you double the light, but unless you love the way it looks, you are getting into light bar price territory.

Like Kojack said, we really would only go with Spot mounted there, flood will give you a lot more hood glare. Mount the flood, higher, or best spot would be lower, below the hood.

One thing that I noticed you are not taking into consideration is quality. It's always god to try to find a medium with price and quality. You might be getting 4 Ebay lights, but what good are they if they go bad in a few weeks? How scrupulous is the seller, how good is the warranty? All of those should be factored in.

Have you taken a look at our A pillar kits? You can pick up a 6CUBE apillar kit for $204.99 and that comes with all the hardware and wiring needed to install. They put out 2375 lumen and use our newest Osram LEDs. The JK forum 10% discount also applies to them, bringing it down to $184.49.

We also sell Headlights running Osram LEDs as well, and come with the antiflicker harness, and everything you need to install, and tap into for the DRL feature. You could buy both and save in shipping.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sami@inspired-engineering
You have to ask yourself what you really need the lights for?

In reality 1 pair 6CUBEs on the A pillar would be enough light. Two lights obviously give you double the light, but unless you love the way it looks, you are getting into light bar price territory.

Like Kojack said, we really would only go with Spot mounted there, flood will give you a lot more hood glare. Mount the flood, higher, or best spot would be lower, below the hood.

One thing that I noticed you are not taking into consideration is quality. It's always god to try to find a medium with price and quality. You might be getting 4 Ebay lights, but what good are they if they go bad in a few weeks? How scrupulous is the seller, how good is the warranty? All of those should be factored in.

Have you taken a look at our A pillar kits? You can pick up a 6CUBE apillar kit for $204.99 and that comes with all the hardware and wiring needed to install. They put out 2375 lumen and use our newest Osram LEDs. The JK forum 10% discount also applies to them, bringing it down to $184.49.

We also sell Headlights running Osram LEDs as well, and come with the antiflicker harness, and everything you need to install, and tap into for the DRL feature. You could buy both and save in shipping.
Thats not a bad idea seeing as I was looking at your headlights anyway. I might actually be getting a set for my '69 camaro as well. I'll Pm you
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bryanwithawhy
Thats not a bad idea seeing as I was looking at your headlights anyway. I might actually be getting a set for my '69 camaro as well. I'll Pm you

That would be really cool!
Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default Vision X

VisionX LED Rock Light's is a pretty good option. They have good reviews too.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sami at Inspired hooked me up with those and headlights. Very excited to get them and install

Quick Reply: Trying to pick windshield lights