Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tweeter upgrade (again)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
Arrrgh I gave them to my cousin last year. Will have to buy some new ones. Hmmm something to run off the Kenwood head and reasonable priced?
Gonna try these Polk Audio DXi 1000 at Crutchfield for $39. Normally $99. Can't beat that price.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

So will most/any 1" tweeter fit in the stock location of the JK without mod needed? I am trying to figure out which ones will work and which ones you will have to make some cuts for.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eight6

I'm guessing you mean to the tweeter carcass?

If so, you first remove the tweeter/carcass unit from it's "tombstone". Then, from behind, you just pull out the stock tweeter from the carcass: a couple of tabs hold it in place. Once that's done, take an exacto knife and cut out the grille that's molded into the carcass, then carefully clean up the edges with a dremel tool. You might want to test fit a few times to avoid removing too much material with the dremel, otherwise the fit will be too loose.

The JL tweeter will just press into the carcass from the front. Connect the wiring (in this case, the tweeter is wired to the front speaker crossover) and re-install the tweeter into the stock location.

Took me about 40 minutes for the pair.
Where are the stock crossovers at? Are they closer to the tweeters or closer to the woofer? I'm just changing the front tweets for now and the new crossovers. Changed the rears already, those were easy.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
Where are the stock crossovers at? Are they closer to the tweeters or closer to the woofer? I'm just changing the front tweets for now and the new crossovers. Changed the rears already, those were easy.

Again, I'm probably guilty of not being clear. I don't know where the stock Xovers are (or if they even exist for that matter). I was referring to the JL Audio Xovers that came with the component speakers. Those I put into the front speaker pods. They fit nicely into the back of the pods.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, just to clarify once more, so the ZR100-CT fit into the stock location without needing the carcass from the stock tweeters? In other words, you could just pop out the factory ones and put in the new ones?

Thanks, I am just trying to make sure I really understand.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

I didn't write the install notes but there is a post he wrote in response to my confusion where he explained how they fit in the carcass but how you need to cut out the grill on the factory tweeter and fine tune the size of the opening so the new tweeter fits just right

His install was sweet, it looked just like a factory fit

I'm ordering those tweeters and I already showed a printout of his pictures and directions on cutting out grill and using dremel to my local custom car audio guy
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I didn't write the install notes but there is a post he wrote in response to my confusion where he explained how they fit in the carcass but how you need to cut out the grill on the factory tweeter and fine tune the size of the opening so the new tweeter fits just right

His install was sweet, it looked just like a factory fit

I'm ordering those tweeters and I already showed a printout of his pictures and directions on cutting out grill and using dremel to my local custom car audio guy
Yeah see, that is what I am confused about. I know he said the ones that came from the C5 set required modification, but then he mentioned that the others were a perfect fit into the stock enclosure. That is what I am confused about.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fishmd
Yeah see, that is what I am confused about. I know he said the ones that came from the C5 set required modification, but then he mentioned that the others were a perfect fit into the stock enclosure. That is what I am confused about.

Sorry for the confusion everyone, I'll give it another try...

These are the JL Audio Evolution ZR100-CT tweeters. They will fit into the stock openings almost perfectly.

I just had to clean up the edges of the stock opening on the one side (drivers side) ever so slightly. It is a tight fit, so if you want to you can remove a bit more material.

The tweeters that require mods to the carcass are the ones that come as part of the JL Audio c5-650 component set. They are smaller in dimension than the ZR100-CTs, so you need to use the carcass to properly install them in the tombstone.

Feel free to ask if you need more info or pics.

Last edited by eight6; 03-06-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
JK Junkie

Ok that was confusing...so the jl tweeters that they sell separately should fit ok without a lot of mods?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Ok that was confusing...so the jl tweeters that they sell separately should fit ok without a lot of mods?
That's right.

Quick Reply: Tweeter upgrade (again)