Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

U Connect

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5280transplant
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a 2009 Sahara with the regular radio (Not a nav unit) and I have the uconnect button. When I push it I get the standard "not equipped" message. Is there a way to buy the 1$ mic without the nav. unit? I haven't checked the letters in the bottom right side, but I will when I get home. I have looked and I can't find the answer to this.
Why would you think you are Hi Jacking? We are all here to Help, Learn , and my favorite. Get to Do both of those reasons...lol...

Ok, There are only 2 Models of the MyGig that has it all in one Package and those 2 are the RER and later, 2011 Model RHR...all made by Harman Kardon's company Harman/Becker...They make for more manufactures then aby other.....
On your Head Unit at the bottom right corner,you might see 3 Letters...

No touch screen? Original unit?

is it a REN....RBZ??

The Hard Key for Uconnect is pretty much on every unit so it can be added...

Except when it came to the Wrangler, 2007 model was the First to get the new High Speed MyGig....Grand C didn't even have it or The 300....lol..
Well that fact on the Hard Key above stayed True until Chrysler decided to put the Top High End Infotainment system in the Wrangler and it was just a over priced waste, because the Wrangler didn't take advantage of all that the Unit had Built into it...Modules to control the Features were already there, You Just Added simple Hardware (Rear Camera, Microphone, etc) All that are easy and cheap to get from anywhere...lol

Well the first weekend I had my Jeep, I had it doing it's full abilities...lol...

I think around 2 years Later Chrysler started offering 2 styles of Uconnect Module for VR and Bluetooth...one added BT for non BT....other was a over priced Bulky module to just add a microphone...HUge cost to buy..

Well I never could understand what they were doing...First night i owned mine, drilled a small hole in dash and installed a mic the size of a pencil....plugged it in and i was in business..

I think Chrysler did a lot of Wrangler owners Dirty with offering that very expensive microphone option which was surface mounted...that extra hardware was a waste and not needed....AT ALL...all it did was move the 2 keys, VR and U closer to you but added nothing new or extra in features when they could have done what is now done in the newer Wranglers which is a Mic installed in the A Pillar on Driver's side and just Plugged into the MyGig..

I bet you it was a major screw up and the module made up for it in a way they could make more money and less labor...I bet the design on Wranglers 2007-2010 were planned for Steering wheel controls then changed with the Fear of Customer complaints and the number of dealership having an overload with Wrangler's brought in to fix the Voice Recognition not hearing the customer, because of the top off or however Us Jeep lovers like to ride our Jeeps...lol

In Fact i know it was Planned, Gone thru building sheets, wiring harness repair kits. in the first wire diagrams...All show this Fact....

The cost of the Module add-on also gave Chrysler another reason to not update the sales code on wrangler so remote switches could be added...that would have been cheap to do...Too cheap for Chrysler..and to offer the upgrade on software to work also means they would need the mic that they didn't offer.....so they refuse to update so it can be added

lol....sorry, you got me to thinking and it all makes sense now...

Wranglers have had Switches on the Steering wheel a few times....on past models did...So all chrysler models have option for media/volume control on SW...EXCEPT the Wrangler...2007-2010 Wranglers had nothing on Steering Wheel except Air Bag...Cruise Control was mounted under the wheel...kinda like an after thought......Just like the Hard Top change after 2010 model...they Modified one of the L shaped Latches to the front and Moved the Center Loop above the Windshield (used for hold down strap on Hood) to now hold the Targa top down......lol...

...But you can find a used unit to add on to yours if you want that feature working

Last edited by AtlJeepsTer; 02-15-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
You probably need to activate the JK Voice recognition in the engineering mode of the RER.

Turn on your mygig.

Press and hold the seek up and seek down buttons along with the menu button.

A screen will pop up asking if you want to go to the engineering menu, select yes.

Scroll down to page 5, look for the "Enable JK VR/HFM" option, and select it.

LOL, Looks like ATLJeepsTer beat me to it.

I have a 2011 JKU. I have uconnect. When I got the jeep I didn't have the mygig. I got one from eBay out of a 2012 JKU. I did the menu thing as listed above and the jk VR was greyed out. I know I have uconnect it worked before I put the mygig in. Any ideas??
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by firefighter53111
I have a 2011 JKU. I have uconnect. When I got the jeep I didn't have the mygig. I got one from eBay out of a 2012 JKU. I did the menu thing as listed above and the jk VR was greyed out. I know I have uconnect it worked before I put the mygig in. Any ideas??
Do you have a Mic plugged in?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mister ed

Do you have a Mic plugged in?
Yes. Everything's plugged in
Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Howdy....You said you know you have Uconnect because it worked before you put in the MyGig you just bought, correct?

That would mean either, you are trying to use the Uconnect Module (which is a Separate Add-on) with a MyGig Unit that has the 3 Letters ( RER or RHR ) marked at the bottom right corner of the Unit,
which these Units already have Uconnect Built into the Unit. Only a Mic, not a module, connected/added to the Unit to function.
Or

The MyGig you just installed would need the Uconnect Module added/installed to make this Function work.

By the Menu's VR setting being Grayed out doesn't always mean it's not available or not working...it can be grayed out if working fine and grayed out if not...lol...sorry, I didn't design the software..

Mind if I ask what those three Letters are?

Also Try this:

Like the Newer Windows Operating systems (Windows 7 to present) each program/software has a Separate Volume Control with Difference being the MyGig Unit's Individual Volume Control is Active only when you change the volume and the feature (FM, Sat Radio, Hard Drive Music) you are currently using.
Example: You are Listening to Music etc and you press Uconnect or VR button, if you want to change the Volume of either one you need to change the Volume as the Voice is Speaking to you. If you wait til it's done, the control goes back to Main volume Control.

Good Luck
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlJeepsTer

Howdy....You said you know you have Uconnect because it worked before you put in the MyGig you just bought, correct?

That would mean either, you are trying to use the Uconnect Module (which is a Separate Add-on) with a MyGig Unit that has the 3 Letters ( RER or RHR ) marked at the bottom right corner of the Unit,
which these Units already have Uconnect Built into the Unit. Only a Mic, not a module, connected/added to the Unit to function.
Or

The MyGig you just installed would need the Uconnect Module added/installed to make this Function work.

By the Menu's VR setting being Grayed out doesn't always mean it's not available or not working...it can be grayed out if working fine and grayed out if not...lol...sorry, I didn't design the software..

Mind if I ask what those three Letters are?

Also Try this:

Like the Newer Windows Operating systems (Windows 7 to present) each program/software has a Separate Volume Control with Difference being the MyGig Unit's Individual Volume Control is Active only when you change the volume and the feature (FM, Sat Radio, Hard Drive Music) you are currently using.
Example: You are Listening to Music etc and you press Uconnect or VR button, if you want to change the Volume of either one you need to change the Volume as the Voice is Speaking to you. If you wait til it's done, the control goes back to Main volume Control.

Good Luck
Bring it to the dealer, it may need them to just give it a quick flash for it to start up.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
Bring it to the dealer, it may need them to just give it a quick flash for it to start up.
How much will that Cost Him to Have the Deaker Flash it?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

I believe I use to have the 130 RER. Now I have the 730 RHR
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

My unit is non Sat but has the telephone button. When I click uconnect it also says not available. Do I have to buy some special part to make this work? My vehicle is an 07 Wrangler.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

I believe I use to have the 130 RER. Now I have the 730 RHR
So you had Uconnect on the 130? that woul have been a Module separate from the Head Unit. Where is the Mic Located?

Quick Reply: U Connect