Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Uconnect newb. Need some help.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uconnect newb. Need some help.

Just got back in the jeep game for first time in over 10 years. Bought a 2007 Unlimited Sahara.

Click image for larger version

Name:	635689506594780323-1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	618671

I am spoiled by bluetooth both for phone calls and streaming music. Not knowing any better, I thought I was getting it with my new baby. I now realize that just because the button with the phone is on the stereo doesn't mean you get the option to use it. I planned on getting the connectivity module, but I read that streaming music on the 07's is not an option. Is this true? By the way, this is my stereo. I am still unsure of what to call it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150720_191447.png
Views:	153
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	618672

Sorry, using my phone and it rotated the picture for some reason. Anyways I know that another option is to upgrade to a newer stock unit, but then I'd have to still purchase connectivity module, correct? Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to go aftermarket? I don't mind doing the work myself and I'd love the look of a touchscreen if I'm looking at spending a few hundred dollars regardless of going stock or going aftermarket. I want bluetooth calling and streaming. Navigation is not needed at all. Had it in my last vehicle and rarely used it. I love customization as far as the screen on the unit with pictures and lights and what not, but I'd like to stay under 500 bucks. Any suggestions? Whew, lengthy first post!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Anybody?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that radio (RES 130) and the next step up (430) which some of have nav would require the uconnect model. If you got a 730 head unit it has the uconnect built in but they are a lot more money. You can sometimes find one in the for sale section here for a decent price but not cheaper than aftermarket.

The only real plug and play unit I have seen is the Raxiom unit from Extreme Terrain, I have read somewhere that if you have premium sound it might not work though!

Then there are a ton of cheaper Double din units that would fit but might need a little trimming to fit properly. (You can find some youtube videos of installs) Steering wheel controls may not work with some head units though and would also need an adapter harness!

I am in the same boat but I just cant figure out what I want to do, I am leaning toward the Raxiom unit just can't get myself to pull that trigger though!

Good luck in your hunt!

Oh and Nice Jeep
Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brewz
Yes that radio (RES 130) and the next step up (430) which some of have nav would require the uconnect model. If you got a 730 head unit it has the uconnect built in but they are a lot more money. You can sometimes find one in the for sale section here for a decent price but not cheaper than aftermarket.

The only real plug and play unit I have seen is the Raxiom unit from Extreme Terrain, I have read somewhere that if you have premium sound it might not work though!

Then there are a ton of cheaper Double din units that would fit but might need a little trimming to fit properly. (You can find some youtube videos of installs) Steering wheel controls may not work with some head units though and would also need an adapter harness!

I am in the same boat but I just cant figure out what I want to do, I am leaning toward the Raxiom unit just can't get myself to pull that trigger though!

Good luck in your hunt!

Oh and Nice Jeep
Thanks for clarifying. Plug and play isn't a huge concern. I don't mind doing a little modification and installation to save money. No steering wheel controls either. I do have the infinity sound system in my Jeep, and I would like to keep my sound. I think the stock system is more than good enough for what my ears need.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

I am in the same boat. Same year and setup. It looks like I have uconnect and have the aftermarket mic. It just says unavailable.
The following users liked this post:
amberrose83 (05-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Uconnect newb. Need some help.