Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ultracapacitor question...

Old 09-25-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ultracapacitor question...

Hey all,

New member as of 30min ago.. But ive been wanting to ask this for a week or so...

Ive done plenty of searching but haven't found any posts with the size capacitor in question.

So i have train horns and im using a Smittybilt 50-60Amp 5.8cfm compressor, it kicks on every time i honk my horn.
I have a dual battery setup, but im looking to just help with the compressors initial draw every time it kicks in. (along with my 30amp light bar..)

I figured it can only help installing a capacitor.. I realize the ones they sell on amazon are much to small to really make a difference, but i recently found some on ebay that seem to be decent quality and pretty big.

link:
233F15V Engine Start Boost Module Kit Ultracapacitor Super Capacitor | eBay

its made with six 2.5V 1400F ultracapacitors.. which in series creates 15V @ 233F..

they also make a bigger (more dangerous, i would need to make a enclosure for it) DIY setup..
6X 3000F 2 7V Maxwell Ultracapacitor Super Farad Capacitor Booster Cap BCAP3000 | eBay

So i figured if i installed one of these in my trunk, and run a 1 to 0 gauge + wire to my battery, this could help my compressor.. and potentially the initial surge of amps when my 6.5hp winch kicks on.

Looking for opinions? i realized i could maybe get flamed out a little on the forums (seems every capacitor post does) but i just haven't seen anyone ask with a bank this big..

ANY input is appreciated, even if you don't like the idea I would like to hear why it would be unpractical..

Thanks!
Zauggerr
Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

This guy had good ideas when I had looked it up a while back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zauggerr
Hey all,

New member as of 30min ago.. But ive been wanting to ask this for a week or so...

Ive done plenty of searching but haven't found any posts with the size capacitor in question.

So i have train horns and im using a Smittybilt 50-60Amp 5.8cfm compressor, it kicks on every time i honk my horn.
I have a dual battery setup, but im looking to just help with the compressors initial draw every time it kicks in. (along with my 30amp light bar..)

I figured it can only help installing a capacitor.. I realize the ones they sell on amazon are much to small to really make a difference, but i recently found some on ebay that seem to be decent quality and pretty big.

link:
233F15V Engine Start Boost Module Kit Ultracapacitor Super Capacitor | eBay

its made with six 2.5V 1400F ultracapacitors.. which in series creates 15V @ 233F..

they also make a bigger (more dangerous, i would need to make a enclosure for it) DIY setup..
6X 3000F 2 7V Maxwell Ultracapacitor Super Farad Capacitor Booster Cap BCAP3000 | eBay

So i figured if i installed one of these in my trunk, and run a 1 to 0 gauge + wire to my battery, this could help my compressor.. and potentially the initial surge of amps when my 6.5hp winch kicks on.

Looking for opinions? i realized i could maybe get flamed out a little on the forums (seems every capacitor post does) but i just haven't seen anyone ask with a bank this big..

ANY input is appreciated, even if you don't like the idea I would like to hear why it would be unpractical..

Thanks!
Zauggerr
Please correct me if i am wrong, but I dont think the capacitor is going to help you at all in a series wound DC motor. I think you would be better off adding an additional battery to supply the current required by your accessories. The capacitor is only going to supply a few nanoseconds worth of power when either the winch or compressor motors starts up. After that, all the juice is coming from the battery or the alternator.

As I understand it, a series wound DC motor is going to reverse the polarity in the windings several times in each rotation. Each time the polarity is reversed there is an inrush of current to saturate the windings. This is different from an AC motor where the field is modulated by the alternating power instead of the commutator and brushes.

Finally, I like your idea. However I think the most benefit you would get by adding capacitance to the power source is you would improve, or reduce, the amount of electrical noise in the entire wiring harness. To me, the Jeep seems to have an exceptionally noisy power system. You can hear it in the radio, on your CB, on my HAM radio, and it affects any other electrical equipment you connect. I even hear it in my phone when it is connected via USB. There seems to be very little noise filtering of the switching power sources, like the Pulse Width Modulated headlights. The amount of capacitance you are talking about adding would probably eliminate much of this electrical noise. However you would have to make the cables that connect the caps the absolute minimum length possible and connect them directly to the battery.

Just my $.02
Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I may have them confused but just one of the super caps won't get it. I believe it's 5 of them wired together that's makes them run around idle voltage. They respond very quickly to voltage drop and rebound super fast. If they are about as much as a decent g31, I'd say opt for the battery and make a frame mount if possible

Quick Reply: Ultracapacitor question...