Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrade Sound System, where to start, any pro's here?

Old 04-04-2015, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade Sound System, where to start, any pro's here?

So I have decided I would like to upgrade my stock sound system. BUT I don't know a damn thing about car audio and don't know where to start.

I have a 2013 Rubicon with just the basic system in it. I'm looking for more than "improved sound" but less than "ridiculous" If I kick the volume up I want your average person to say dammmmm but your audio enthusiast to say "meh not bad"

I think I would like to keep the price tag at less than $800 max preferably much less but you need a ceiling although I don't really know if that is reasonable or not and I'm looking to be steered in the right direction.

So specific question might be does anybody recommend a place in San Diego county that can take my money and turn it into a system I can be proud of or should I attempt this myself or??? I am decent at electrical and mechanical just not audio specific.

Any audio pros out there that can offer some advice or a place to start researching?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grab a Kicker Bass Station for around 250.

Grab the Kicker JK Replacements for around 180 for all 4.

Maybe new tweeters for 100 or so.

Grab around 5 bucks worth of Poly-Fil.

Use the rest to put towards a receiver.

Do it all yourself!!!

Last edited by Zroe; 04-05-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do it yourself. Not very hard. I did upgraded my base system with a head unit and amp. If you want a bass, just get a head unit with sub rcas out and add a powered bass. My was under 400 and it works with the canbus and steering wheel controls. This thread has the wiring in it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...issues-318560/
Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
So I have decided I would like to upgrade my stock sound system. BUT I don't know a damn thing about car audio and don't know where to start.

I have a 2013 Rubicon with just the basic system in it. I'm looking for more than "improved sound" but less than "ridiculous" If I kick the volume up I want your average person to say dammmmm but your audio enthusiast to say "meh not bad"

I think I would like to keep the price tag at less than $800 max preferably much less but you need a ceiling although I don't really know if that is reasonable or not and I'm looking to be steered in the right direction.

So specific question might be does anybody recommend a place in San Diego county that can take my money and turn it into a system I can be proud of or should I attempt this myself or??? I am decent at electrical and mechanical just not audio specific.

Any audio pros out there that can offer some advice or a place to start researching?
The weakest link in terms of sound quality, are typically the speakers.
I've found that Boston Acoustics deliver good, open sound, which equals and even better than some quite more expensive speakers.
I'd add a good amplifier, and that's all.

The source, CD or Disk On Key, usually has little influence on sound quality.

Using full resolution recordings, rather than MP3 etc', gives better and more detailed sound.

If you have a hardtop, fixing HotHead Headline to it (plus the rear sides) improves the sound.
Link - http://www.hotheadheadliners.com/

Last edited by GJeep; 04-05-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

So are there really any benefits to a new head unit in terms of sound quality or is a new head unit mainly for its added features?
Old 04-05-2015, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

In my experience, my entire life, factory sound systems suck.

My system sounds way better. But I added an amp at the same time so I can't really say the HU made a difference. I would have had to make one upgrade at a time to make that call honestly.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do any of the manufacturers make a complete system worth buying? HU, amp, speakers sub plug n play

Last edited by rsbmg; 04-05-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
So are there really any benefits to a new head unit in terms of sound quality or is a new head unit mainly for its added features?
A new head unit can give you a large touch screen and the options that go with it.

From my experience, and I did upgrade one-at-a-time more than once, the only true sound improvement of a better head unit is the tuner.
I listen to the radio a lot, so I upgraded to a unit that had a tuner with better reception and radio sound.

If the radio sound, large touch screen and the extra options are not important to you, I don't see the point in replacing the head unit.
Good speakers and amplifier will give you sound that you can enjoy.

I don't understand why Infinity speakers have such a good reputation, as Boston Acoustics have a much better sound.

However... if you can, drop at some installer and listen to a few options, as sound is very subjective.
(They will try to drag you beyond what you need or want... )
Old 04-05-2015, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I probably just need to start reading up on sound systems so I have a better understanding of the component pieces. I have been on Crutchfield I just don't really know what's good and what isnt.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

Well they all do. As far as working together. Plug and play with the vehicle is a different story. The RP4-CH11 will make the components work with your Jeep. Some manufacturers are better at HU or amps or speakers and you can combine them to your needs. Think about the features you want in your HU, whether it is Bluetooth or Pandora or ipad compatibility or programmable colors even, etc. and go from there. Check the output power of the HU and decide if you want an amp for more power. If you want a sub then make sure the HU has outputs for the sub.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Sound System, where to start, any pro's here?