Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgraded Alpine to Kickers (77KICK10) - not much improvement

Old 12-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oloolo
ok, I see.
looks like I should get 4 of this to upgrade my system. I mostly listen to conversations, and current bass is good enough for me
need clean and crisper sound.
thanks
If.you want a crisper sound, go with the Focal components over the Kicker. They sound way better..
Old 12-07-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like need a rim holder as the layout of holes is different from Wrangler's

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
If.you want a crisper sound, go with the Focal components over the Kicker. They sound way better..
Old 12-12-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joecam
Current 14 JKURX looking to upgrade the "premium" Alpine system. I will keep the head unit (430), but I terms of everything else, do I just need new speakers and replace the amp? What are the Canbus concerns do I need to do something with the signal out of the radio? Or do I just use the existing amp and put another one behind it? Also would like to replace the existing stock Alpine Sub? Also, does anyone know where the stock amp is located in my Jeep? Thanks fir any help as I try to figure out what to buy? Joe
Hey guys,
I'm new here, but the Wrangler Forum has threads on upgrades to the Alpine and Infinity systems that increase the quality and volume of sound for less than $150. They call it the "PRS" or "PRS+" speaker modification. It involves changing out the capacitors on the tweeters (from the stock 2.2 if to 4.7 or 6.8uf capacitors, replacing the sound bar speakers with Infinity 6032si speakers (dash speaker change out optional, but recommended) and replacing the Alpine sub with a Pioneer 2ohm DVC sub (PPI amp optional to create the "+" system.
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm acquiring components to pull the trigger...
Old 12-22-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did partial PRS upgrade last week and the result is pretty good comparing to my stock Alpine system.
I changed out Sub and soundbar speakers according to PRS setup, namely, use 8" shallow Pioneer TS SW2002D2 to replace the stock subwoofer and Infinity 6032si to replace the soundbar speakers.

The system now sounds much cleaner, with broader range of musical sound and prompt response, thanks mostly to the component 6032si speakers. Comparing to stock sub, the Pioneer one is less muddy, more punchy. I do have polyfill to the soundbar and sub box.

I am not going to apply the capacity change as described in PRS but instead will directly swap out the front speakers with another set of 6032si. The 6032si has a tweeter that can rotate to make high frequency sound directing to you better.

Originally Posted by JeepHog71
Hey guys,
I'm new here, but the Wrangler Forum has threads on upgrades to the Alpine and Infinity systems that increase the quality and volume of sound for less than $150. They call it the "PRS" or "PRS+" speaker modification. It involves changing out the capacitors on the tweeters (from the stock 2.2 if to 4.7 or 6.8uf capacitors, replacing the sound bar speakers with Infinity 6032si speakers (dash speaker change out optional, but recommended) and replacing the Alpine sub with a Pioneer 2ohm DVC sub (PPI amp optional to create the "+" system.
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm acquiring components to pull the trigger...

Quick Reply: Upgraded Alpine to Kickers (77KICK10) - not much improvement