Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading stereo, using steering wheel blank buttons?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading stereo, using steering wheel blank buttons?

I really have searched the forums to answer this and I might have found the answers the problem is i don't actually understand them because they reference uconnect/mygig & i don't know what UCONNECT or myGIG do cause i've got the basic stereo on my 2014 jk sport (am/fm/cd NO blutooth). It has steering wheel buttons but only for cruise control and cycling through milage stuff (and volume/seek on back) but there are three blank buttons on the steering wheel that don't press in or do anything.

I'm upgrading my head unit to a Pioneer NEX4000 (to get carplay/bluetooth) and I'd like to be able to have the buttons that you'd get with Uconnect (answer/hang up, and blutooth i think?) is this possible to do?

Also random but would it be possible to use these buttons for anything? there's still a blank, could it be used for offroad lights on/off? I love the stock look and hate adding random switches on the jk.

thanks, J
Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

You have to buy a $400 module to use UCONNECT, when I bought mine I went to the jeep dealership in my area and asked why I couldn't use it and that's because you have to buy the module if it didn't come in it
Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Don't want to use UCONNECT whatever that is... I just want to use the blank steering wheel buttons & the guys at carrots don't know if they can till they rip it apart.... Hoping to shed some light on this prior to.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at idatalink Maestro ...it's amazing ....too bad I don't have steering wheel controls ...easy to install but pricey ....there's many videos on YouTube on the Maestro

Quick Reply: Upgrading stereo, using steering wheel blank buttons?