Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

USB Wiring Help

Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB Wiring Help

Hey guys. Need some direction on my next project. I am installing the wiring for my bumper and windshield lights to the pillar. Since the Pillar Pod I purchased has 4 switch spots I thought I would hook up a USB connection made live by a switch. So:

2 switches are for lights,
1 switch is for the USB power
1 USB connections

I believe I am good on the wiring for the lights. My question is should I wire the USB using a relay the same as the lights or is there another route I should be going down? Different consideration on fusing? I appreciate any feedback on it. Just want to make sure I wire it right in the first place. I want to have the ability to throw a short cord to my gps or iPhone since I like them in that corner when using them. I don't always which is why I figured I would put it on a switch.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Klinger~
Hey guys. Need some direction on my next project. I am installing the wiring for my bumper and windshield lights to the pillar. Since the Pillar Pod I purchased has 4 switch spots I thought I would hook up a USB connection made live by a switch. So:

2 switches are for lights,
1 switch is for the USB power
1 USB connections

I believe I am good on the wiring for the lights. My question is should I wire the USB using a relay the same as the lights or is there another route I should be going down? Different consideration on fusing? I appreciate any feedback on it. Just want to make sure I wire it right in the first place. I want to have the ability to throw a short cord to my gps or iPhone since I like them in that corner when using them. I don't always which is why I figured I would put it on a switch.
USB devices pull very little amperage (like 5 amps tops). So long as your switch is rated for above that you could wire it without a relay. If you're using OTRATTW switches, they are rated to 20 amps ( I don't go above 10 amps with them before moving to a relay). You will still need a fuse between the switch and the power source.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! That helps!

Quick Reply: USB Wiring Help