Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where can I get a switched hot lead under dash?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get a switched hot lead under dash?

I want to power my dash cam and was wondering if I can gain access to the 12V switched power outlet on the dash or some other switched ignition power.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I want to power my dash cam and was wondering if I can gain access to the 12V switched power outlet on the dash or some other switched ignition power.
The cigarette lighter is a popular one. Not sure how much power your cam takes, but you can run it to a relay which will allow you to use as much power as you need.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

in the fuse block in the engine bay, the fuse M8 (i think thats what its labeled as, its for the seat heaters) is ignition hot
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-15 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Check that out. It plugs in without messing with any of the factory wiring. I used it to power my CB so it only gets power with the ignition on. Somewhat pricey, but well worth it I think.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chronotripper
Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-15 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Check that out. It plugs in without messing with any of the factory wiring. I used it to power my CB so it only gets power with the ignition on. Somewhat pricey, but well worth it I think.
This is a lot of work, I guess I have to run a hot from my fuse box under the hood. This would be easier than ripping the dash apart.

I don't mind tapping into the dash power port wire I just need to know where it is accessible.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
This is a lot of work, I guess I have to run a hot from my fuse box under the hood. This would be easier than ripping the dash apart.

I don't mind tapping into the dash power port wire I just need to know where it is accessible.
I installed one of those harnesses. It literally took 10 minutes to do.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya, I debating fuse box or ripping the dash apart. It's probably better to go the dash route.

Quick Reply: Where can I get a switched hot lead under dash?