Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Will disconnecting speakers mess up the stereo?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will disconnecting speakers mess up the stereo?

I have a 2015 Rubi with an unmodified stock audio system. For various reasons, I would like to disconnect and remove the top speaker bar and the subwoofer in the rear. If I do so, will removing all that load damage the audio system? Will it affect the sound quality from the remaining speakers?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:04 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

majority of modern radios are designed at "x" wattage per channel. So in short, the answer is no. If yours isn't, well if you're driving a 2015 at least you still have the warranty
Old 04-25-2015, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for posting this ; I want to remove big speakers from sound bar, use the cavity for storage. I seldom, if ever, use the radio . Storage space more useful .
Removed speaker, storage space more trouble than its worth.

Last edited by Four Low; 05-20-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

OK, so I removed the overhead "sound bar" in its entirety, as well as the subwoofer that was in the little underfloor cavity near the rear tailgate. I bagged and secured the loose wiring connectors.

Instead of 9 speakers, I now have just the four up front.

It's been a few weeks. So far, I haven't had any problems with the sound system. No distortion or other funky sounds that might indicate an impending failure. No blown fuses or smoke. But the jeep is a bit lighter (that sound bar and the subwoofer were both amazingly heavy!). No one will bang their head on the sound bar. And I now have a nice little storage spot under the rear floor where I put my tent, my big tow strap, my tarp, and a few other things.

And assumedly, if I want to listen to the radio for awhile while parked, the sound system is not using as much power (though I can't prove that part!).
Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

When you removed the sound bar, that means Dome Light too, right ? I wouldn't miss Sound Bar, the weight you mentioned means I don't have to feel guilty for all the "stuff" I carry " Just in Case". But I do like the dome light function , guess a "mod" is coming on.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Four Low
When you removed the sound bar, that means Dome Light too, right ? I wouldn't miss Sound Bar, the weight you mentioned means I don't have to feel guilty for all the "stuff" I carry " Just in Case". But I do like the dome light function , guess a "mod" is coming on.
My dome light is located on the top rear rollbar...this is an Unlimited (4-door). So all I lost was the big bulky speaker, no lights. Maybe on two-door models it's on the sound bar?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Apparently 2drs have dome light in Sound Bar ; how much do you guess-timate Sound Bar weighs ?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not an expert but I believe you can blow your head unit outputs by having no load on them. Be sure to tune your fade all the way to the front, so the rear outputs are not used. The sub should be fed by remote power feed to the amp which is different than the 50 watt per speaker output built into the head unit. On my alpine head unit in my ford ranger I didn't install rear speakers for a year and by then the outputs were pooched, had to buy a new head unit to get my rear speakers to work

if you can read this, my Jeep is broken....
Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

My four door has a dome light in the sound bar and on the roll bar in the rear. I would question if the weight savings is really worth the trouble. I love the sound in my 15 and would hate to give it up for that amount of weight.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

The weight of the sound bar is trivial on my 2 dr, it is very easy to remove. The storage area is more useful to me than the sound , radio of no interest. It is a "base" sound system, no big loss.
I'm going to fabricate a storage tray to replace the Sound Bar; if it works out, will post it later. If not, back in with the Sound Bar.

Quick Reply: Will disconnecting speakers mess up the stereo?