Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winch JUST installed and battery wont crank?

Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch JUST installed and battery wont crank?

Hello,

Hooked up smittybilt X2O 10k this morning. Winch wiring is good, triple checked before and after install. Stock battery.

When I tried to start Jeep, got a half crank. Then just a click. Headlights don't seem to be dim though. Had to get to work so no time to disconnect winch cables and try again to see if maybe there is a draw going to winch. BTW, winch remote unplugged/wireless function turned off.

Anyone hear of this before?
Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Installed winch and immediately engine wont crank.

Hello,

Just this morning I hooked my new Smittybilt X2O 10k winch up to my battery. Running aftermarket battery, don't remember brand (came with used 2011 jeep when I bought it in 2014). Never had battery issues before.

The winch is wired correctly according to factory diagram (triple checked) There are no kinks or frays in the (+) or (-) running from the winch to the battery. Winch wires are connected to the "winch only post" on my Quadratec HD battery terminal. Remote was not plugged in, and wireless function was turned off on both solenoid and the remote.

Problem is battery wont crank, gave a half start at first, then one click only. Headlights and dash lights didn't seem to be dim though.

I had some time before work today and had planned to spool the winch under tension with my neighbors help, but ended up having to get help giving a ride to work (and show up late) instead

Any ideas for when I get home? Am considering just having someone run me by autozone or sears to get a better battery (was on the list anyway) but am afraid if there is an issue it might kill new battery too?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you put either winch cable under the nut closest to the battery terminal you need to move them. That is a cam nut that tightens the battery connection.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:03 AM
JK Junkie

Are you sure all the connections are tight? Did you run the winch to test it? How old is the battery? How did you prepare the factory ends?

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-11-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If you put either winch cable under the nut closest to the battery terminal you need to move them. That is a cam nut that tightens the battery connection.
Installed them exactly as shown on picture here, as well as in instructions (link on page)
Quadratec Exclusive Extreme Duty Battery Terminals for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK | Quadratec
Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I've merged the two threads in order for the assistance to stay in one place.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jedg
I've merged the two threads in order for the assistance to stay in one place.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Are you sure all the connections are tight? Did you run the winch to test it? How old is the battery? How did you prepare the factory ends?
The last thing I did before running to work was check all connections and hook up remote and try to run winch. Ran winch in for one revolution. Ran fine. Disconected remote and still no crank.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MAJKF
The last thing I did before running to work was check all connections and hook up remote and try to run winch. Ran winch in for one revolution. Ran fine. Disconected remote and still no crank.
To be clear, did not run it on battery alone before trying to crank. Engine already was not cranking with dead battery simptoms before I tested the winch on battery power.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you connect the winch power cables on the battery connection? To the small bolts on top of the clamp where other wires connect, or to the main clamp bolt that hold the clamp tight to the battery post?

Quick Reply: Winch JUST installed and battery wont crank?