Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winch JUST installed and battery wont crank?

Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the battery. I would have it load tested. A deep cycle battery is better for a winch like an Optima Yellowtop (although I hear their quality keeps declining) or Diehard Platinum.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove winch cables and try and start. I just don't see how just all of sudden the jeep won't start just from adding winch cables. There must be a bad connection or short.

Not saying the battery isn't weak. But it very well could be, so making a good connection is even more important.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 09-11-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Where did you connect the winch power cables on the battery connection? To the small bolts on top of the clamp where other wires connect, or to the main clamp bolt that hold the clamp tight to the battery post?
To the bolts on top of the brass buss closest to the terminals. The instructions from quadratec list that as the high amp (winch) connection point. I linked to the site in prior post. The quadratec instructions have the jk wiring going to second (middle) post and accessories to third post farthest from battery terminals.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MAJKF
To the bolts on top of the brass buss closest to the terminals. The instructions from quadratec list that as the high amp (winch) connection point. I linked to the site in prior post. The quadratec instructions have the jk wiring going to second (middle) post and accessories to third post farthest from battery terminals.

http://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/133117.pdf
Old 09-11-2016, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Remove winch cables and try and start. I just don't see how just all of sudden the jeep won't start just from adding winch cables. There must be a bad connection or short.

Not saying the battery isn't weak. But it very well could be, so making a good connection is even more important.
Just got home and tried this. Same even without winch connected. Get a single click when i turn the key. Gonna try and jump and head to auto parts store to test battery and buy a deep cycle agm.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got the kids to sleep and ran to autozone justbefore closing. All they had was standard batteries or optima.

They said my old battery tested fine, but at 25% charge. Tossed the yellow top in and jeep cranked right up. Held RPMs at 2k and tested winch via wireless remote (still not spooled), no issues.

Autozone guy brought up a neat point though. Asked specifically if i had a "fast phone charger" plugged into always hot pot. Yup. Said they are a vector for parasitic drain and pull as much juice whether phone is charging or not. Also said probably just an old turd battery.

Quick Reply: Winch JUST installed and battery wont crank?