Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Windshield mounted lights

Old 07-02-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield mounted lights

Anyone know a good pair of lights that mount on the windshield? Preferably yellow

is HID better than LED?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bullseye15
Anyone know a good pair of lights that mount on the windshield? Preferably yellow

is HID better than LED?
You'll have to study the issue -- or you'll buy something that doesn't suit you.
What do you mean by "on the windshield" ? bottom of A-pillars or above the windshield?

What are the lights for? Function or looks?
Why yellow?

Spot or flood?
For instance, floods, on the A-pillars. will reflect off the hood, which is annoying.

LED lights gradually replace other light sources on vehicles, and in many other uses, for good reasons.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-02-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have all halogens. Now im converting to Leds. Leds use less wattage and are smaller and also throw out a cleaner light in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lights on the top of the windshield OR the bottom, by the mirror, will reflect off the hood and cause you eye fatigue. If you are going with the lower a-pillar mounts, I'd suggest some Rigid Dually D2 in the spot beam pattern. That's what I run and have zero reflection off the hood. For a wider beam pattern, I'd suggest running a light AHEAD of the grill. The yellow lights are used for dusty or foggy conditions to cut down on reflection. Unless you're pre-running or live in a super foggy area, just go with white light. If you do your research, there are different lights for different purposes. A lot of people just slap whatever light they think looks cool on their rig and don't think about proper placement or purpose.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

I agree with purchasing the Rigid Dually D2. I think the spot lights are the way to go to reduce glare on the hood.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Lights on the top of the windshield OR the bottom, by the mirror, will reflect off the hood and cause you eye fatigue. If you are going with the lower a-pillar mounts, I'd suggest some Rigid Dually D2 in the spot beam pattern. That's what I run and have zero reflection off the hood. For a wider beam pattern, I'd suggest running a light AHEAD of the grill. The yellow lights are used for dusty or foggy conditions to cut down on reflection. Unless you're pre-running or live in a super foggy area, just go with white light. If you do your research, there are different lights for different purposes. A lot of people just slap whatever light they think looks cool on their rig and don't think about proper placement or purpose.
Thanks a lot for taking time to respond, and yes I don't want it for looks, I'm a newbie and I was looking for yellow for the snow,
Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bullseye15
Thanks a lot for taking time to respond, and yes I don't want it for looks, I'm a newbie and I was looking for yellow for the snow,
If you are looking for a light for snow, stay away from all the LED bar/cube style lights. They just toss Light everywhere. You don't want lights on your a pillars if you want to use them in snow. YOu will be blind from the light reflecting off the snow. I do ALOT of driving in snow and night. I would never run anything on my windshield area to drive in snow. I had HID retrofitted in my stock headlights for a while and they caused snow blind lighting because of all the light scattered everywhere.

I don't run my hella HID in snow either. Just too much light for snow. I have yellow halogen bulbs in my stock fog lights, that makes a big difference in snow, as well I have a set of hella 450 fog lights with yellow globes and 100w bulbs. They help out in snow and fog as well, but not as much as the stock upgrade did. I have trucklites in my jeep now and they are great for all conditions. HUGE improvement over stock.

Ideally, you want ALL lighting in front of your rig to reduce glare and fatigue. I almost went to the LED side of things. but then I thought, my lights rock, why would I waste money and swap for something not as good? I am adding a set of A pillar hella HID lights to use while camping and slow trail running when my big lights are over kill, but that's a different application than driving in snow.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack

If you are looking for a light for snow, stay away from all the LED bar/cube style lights. They just toss Light everywhere. You don't want lights on your a pillars if you want to use them in snow. YOu will be blind from the light reflecting off the snow. I do ALOT of driving in snow and night. I would never run anything on my windshield area to drive in snow. I had HID retrofitted in my stock headlights for a while and they caused snow blind lighting because of all the light scattered everywhere.

I don't run my hella HID in snow either. Just too much light for snow. I have yellow halogen bulbs in my stock fog lights, that makes a big difference in snow, as well I have a set of hella 450 fog lights with yellow globes and 100w bulbs. They help out in snow and fog as well, but not as much as the stock upgrade did. I have trucklites in my jeep now and they are great for all conditions. HUGE improvement over stock.

Ideally, you want ALL lighting in front of your rig to reduce glare and fatigue. I almost went to the LED side of things. but then I thought, my lights rock, why would I waste money and swap for something not as good? I am adding a set of A pillar hella HID lights to use while camping and slow trail running when my big lights are over kill, but that's a different application than driving in snow.
I have trucklites as well but I took my windshield mounted PIAA 520s and just put in ion yellow bulbs for the snow, I adjusted the lights perfectly with the height of the trucklites. I do get snow reflection cuz their up so high but it's not bad at all and those yellowhalogen bulbs so a great job in the snow especially compared to Ice covered Trucklites!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Move them down to your bumper you will see a huge difference. You don't think its bad, but after a couple of hrs straight with them in your face like that its down right draining. Move them to your bumper, and you will see what I am talking about. As for the TL's, I only had mine Snow up 2 times. That being said, my stockers did the same thing really. Its because of the huge pockets that are in the grill.

Quick Reply: Windshield mounted lights