Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wire connection question

Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
... Guess I'm old school... cable ties at equal intervals. (Broadcast Television Engineering will do that to a guy) ...
I guess I'm older school, LOL ...

I agree about soldering in this case, though in my background (27-1/2 years avionics maintenance) soldering was generally avoided for wiring runs. But that's because the vibration of aircraft is rather hard on single strand wire (which is what multi-strand wire becomes when you solder a connection).
Old 06-23-2015, 01:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave L
So you can have multiple wires on one end of a crimp connector
Yes. You can see in my avatar where I have two wires going into one crimp.

Multiple wires in a crimp, should be fine, you might need to size the crimp to accept x amount of cables based on their wire gauge I would suspect.
^ This. Depending on the wire gauge, you may have to step up on terminal capacity.

And as Mark stated, voltage drop is an important consideration. Most guys use a 5% drop since auto accessories are designed for 12V and the alternator puts out 13.8V. I have always used a 2% drop because I tend to over-engineer for safety when it comes to electrical and 2% is the non-automotive standard I believe.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens when the pigtail on the lights are of a smaller gauge than desired and then are in a sealed housing?
Old 06-23-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What happens when the pigtail on the lights are of a smaller gauge than desired and then are in a sealed housing?
There's not much you can do about that other than run the proper gauge wire up to the pigtail. The pigtail is usually quite small and capable of handling the draw capacity of the component for the short length. I have never had it become an issue. But you are right in the sense that when that wire is extended the gauge should also be increased.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Since you'd be wiring the lights up in parallel, and not in series, then that wire would presumably be sufficiently sized to carry the current for the one light assembly. It doesn't need to carry the current for the other lights (but the interconnecting wire would). As for voltage drop, as 14Sport alludes, it isn't only the size of the wire that affects voltage drop. It's also how far that smaller wire runs. Since it's just a short pigtail, it will have a negligible effect on the voltage reaching the LEDs.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I guess I'm older school, LOL ... I agree about soldering in this case, though in my background (27-1/2 years avionics maintenance) soldering was generally avoided for wiring runs. But that's because the vibration of aircraft is rather hard on single strand wire (which is what multi-strand wire becomes when you solder a connection).
Wow. Cool, lacing!

There's a few guys at work that will only lace, I sure do respect the craft that goes into this work. That's putting love into your work.

Most others it's release-able cable ties done.

See if I can dig up some photos of what a 1026 x 1026 router looks like all wired in nice and neat.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Wow. Cool, lacing!

There's a few guys at work that will only lace, I sure do respect the craft that goes into this work. That's putting love into your work.

Most others it's release-able cable ties done.

See if I can dig up some photos of what a 1026 x 1026 router looks like all wired in nice and neat.
That wasn't actually my work in the image, though it is how I used to do lacing on ... C-47s. Yeah, I'm that old. ART-13 transmitter and BC-348 receivers. Vacuum tubes. Discrete components. Air dielectric variable capacitors the size of an egg carton. Miss those days.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
That wasn't actually my work in the image, though it is how I used to do lacing on ... C-47s. Yeah, I'm that old. ART-13 transmitter and BC-348 receivers. Vacuum tubes. Discrete components. Air dielectric variable capacitors the size of an egg carton. Miss those days.
Ahh fellow RF guy!

I'm on the SATCOM side .....fleet of 17Ghz 2 kW single and multi stage collector klystron tubes. Yes, tubes still in today's world of smaller. When you need brute force power in a narrow band nothing beats it, oh and taken care of they last years.

Dig the avionics...never made it past broadcast lol
Old 06-23-2015, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

P1TBU11. Check out this link http://www.bulkwire.com/wireresistance.asp it will tell you what size wire to use. Simply put in the total length of cable (including the length of ground wire) and enter amps (watts/voltage) and voltage.
So, do I just take the advertised watts and divide by 12 to get amps, or do i need to use 13.85?
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P1TBU11
So, do I just take the advertised watts and divide by 12 to get amps, or do i need to use 13.85?
I use 12 for the ease and to be on the safe side. Better to account for more amps than you are actually going to run for wiring.

Quick Reply: Wire connection question