Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wire Routing for a 2015 Wrangler

Old 11-15-2016, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire Routing for a 2015 Wrangler

I need some help. I cannot find the "pass thru" the firewall to the cabin to mount my driving light switch. Everything appears sealed. I am 70 and need pictures and words to get me thru this. General help on overall wiring of the driving lights would be very helpful as well. I am not a beginner, but newer machines have me scratching my hairless head.
Old Military Retired Guy
Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPT Mike
I need some help. I cannot find the "pass thru" the firewall to the cabin to mount my driving light switch. Everything appears sealed. I am 70 and need pictures and words to get me thru this. General help on overall wiring of the driving lights would be very helpful as well. I am not a beginner, but newer machines have me scratching my hairless head.
Old Military Retired Guy
CAPT,

First off thank you for your service.

Second there are a couple of ways to get wires into the cabin of your JK. Where are you planning on putting the switches? If you are going to put lights on the drivers side A pillar (by the windshield) there is a foam plug that can be accessed by removing the side dash panel. Using a metal coat hanger you can pull the wires through there. I will get you some pictures in and post them up. I have used two different places to route wires. Will post both pictures.

R/
Will
Old 11-15-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

On the driver's side it's not too bad. look for this rubber grommet in the engine bay, and then pull off the side panel of the dash and you'll see where it comes through. You will probably need to use a coat hanger or the like to make a hole or pull the wires through. These are are just pics from google so not my writing on the 2nd one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	660930 Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	660929

You can do the same on the passenger side, but it's a decent bit more tricky as the battery is in the way. Once you get the wires inside, there are a lot of different locations you could use to mount a switch.

Oh, and to reiterate Canvas's statement.....thanks for your service!

Last edited by resharp001; 11-15-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both sides have the access hole behind the dash side trim panels.

It comes out under the hood but not in the actual engine compartment.

Spod shows some under the dash but harder to access...

If not using a relay...

If using a relay...

Another place to grab power...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/

Thank you for your service!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sPod Firewall Access Points.png
Views:	1429
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	660931  
Old 11-15-2016, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
CAPT,

First off thank you for your service.

Second there are a couple of ways to get wires into the cabin of your JK. Where are you planning on putting the switches? If you are going to put lights on the drivers side A pillar (by the windshield) there is a foam plug that can be accessed by removing the side dash panel. Using a metal coat hanger you can pull the wires through there. I will get you some pictures in and post them up. I have used two different places to route wires. Will post both pictures.

R/
Will
Two replies from TX! Had a great tour thru NAS Corpus Christi many years ago. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
On the driver's side it's not too bad. look for this rubber grommet in the engine bay, and then pull off the side panel of the dash and you'll see where it comes through. You will probably need to use a coat hanger or the like to make a hole or pull the wires through. These are are just pics from google so not my writing on the 2nd one.

Attachment 660930 Attachment 660929

You can do the same on the passenger side, but it's a decent bit more tricky as the battery is in the way. Once you get the wires inside, there are a lot of different locations you could use to mount a switch.

Oh, and to reiterate Canvas's statement.....thanks for your service!
Thank you also for your assist. The pics are a great help. And thank you and Canvas regarding my service as it was my honor to serve this great country.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Both sides have the access hole behind the dash side trim panels.

It comes out under the hood but not in the actual engine compartment.

Spod shows some under the dash but harder to access...

If not using a relay...

If using a relay...

Another place to grab power...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/

Thank you for your service!

It was my honor to serve this great country. And thank you for your assist with the wire diagrams; using the relay and switch.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

CAPT there is one more option for routing wires and it is on the passenger side, which I prefer. If you look behind the batter on the firewall you will see a wire bundle that runs on the bottom lip of the rear hood. Pull the wire loom off the retaining post and the insulation you will see a hole that will drop in behind the glove box. I used this to run the power wire for my DIY relay system. You can use a metal coat hanger to get the wire down to grab it. Here is the location of the hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	relay3.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	660953
Old 11-16-2016, 01:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CAPT there is one more option for routing wires and it is on the passenger side, which I prefer. If you look behind the batter on the firewall you will see a wire bundle that runs on the bottom lip of the rear hood. Pull the wire loom off the retaining post and the insulation you will see a hole that will drop in behind the glove box. I used this to run the power wire for my DIY relay system. You can use a metal coat hanger to get the wire down to grab it. Here is the location of the hole.

Attachment 660953
Never saw that one before!
Old 11-16-2016, 01:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Attachment 660953
Yeah, that's a new one to me, too. I'm going to have to check it out! Oh, and that picture above with the writing on it is mine. All of that particular wiring and more has been supplanted by an sPOD though. But the passenger side is rather full, so having a second option there is good to know about.

Quick Reply: Wire Routing for a 2015 Wrangler