Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring in a 50" light bar - where to run the wiring??

Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring in a 50" light bar - where to run the wiring??

So I finally pulled the trigger on a 50 inch light bar, and expect it to arrive within the next couple of weeks. However I'm curious as to how people are wiring these in. I'm running Trailskinz pillar mounts (same as Poison Spyder, and most of the others out there), and they're fairly tight to the A Pillar, so I highly doubt I could fit the wiring behind the pillar mount. The only other option I see is to run it into the cab between the freedom panel and window frame. Once inside, I can just run it behind the paneling into the engine bay to my sPOD. However this doesn't exactly seem like a good idea. Especially as we get winter up here, where temps from Nov-Mar are always below 30f/0c. I fear ice making it's way into the cab with this option - however if I can't come up with anything else, I might just try it.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

That's exactly where I went, I drilled right under the overhang of the gasket ran my wires then when I was all set I sealed everything up with silicone been six months and no water issues
Old 11-29-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
So I finally pulled the trigger on a 50 inch light bar, and expect it to arrive within the next couple of weeks. However I'm curious as to how people are wiring these in. I'm running Trailskinz pillar mounts (same as Poison Spyder, and most of the others out there), and they're fairly tight to the A Pillar, so I highly doubt I could fit the wiring behind the pillar mount. The only other option I see is to run it into the cab between the freedom panel and window frame. Once inside, I can just run it behind the paneling into the engine bay to my sPOD. However this doesn't exactly seem like a good idea. Especially as we get winter up here, where temps from Nov-Mar are always below 30f/0c. I fear ice making it's way into the cab with this option - however if I can't come up with anything else, I might just try it.
This is a good excuse to get a snorkel, I have the PSC mount and it's tight but u ran next to my snorkel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141129_193300.jpg
Views:	3075
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	586073  
Old 11-29-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody please post a close up pic so we can see exactly what you are talking about. I have PSC and lightbar on the Christmas list and I am interested in options for wiring...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I talked to my buddy who designed the mount I'm going to be using. He said to run it down the inside of the guard (between A pillar mount and window frame), then into the engine bay. He said just put the bolts in but don't tighten them up at all until the wire is run. It'll apparently be tight, but it will fit. This would be a lot more attractive them pulling all the trim pieces inside.

I should be doing the wiring later this week... will take some pictures.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 lightbar wires.jpg
Views:	7725
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	586853

These are with the PSC mounts. The wire fits underneath it for half of the distance then it has to pop out.

I also used some plastic cable clamps, put them around the wre in 3-4 places and simply slid them under the mounts to hold the wire in place. Been like that for over a year and still holding up nicely. No drilling needed.

I've seen others on the forums drill a couple holes in the side of the mount and use small black zip ties to hold the wire in place.

Please don't run the wire into your cab, you'll f*ck up your weather seal.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran mine under the mount the entire way, I have the HMF mount.

Its in the bend portion of the mount, you can kind of see it in the above image where the mount ends at the bottom, there is a small gap.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the tangent, but how long is a 50 inch bar? On the ridged site they show dimensions of 51.5 overall. I hear about 50's and 52's so I am curious what you guys are using. Mine is 51.5 and I want to use different mounts but don't know which mounts to order.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Sorry for the tangent, but how long is a 50 inch bar? On the ridged site they show dimensions of 51.5 overall. I hear about 50's and 52's so I am curious what you guys are using. Mine is 51.5 and I want to use different mounts but don't know which mounts to order.
Mine is 51.25 I believe - lifetime led
Old 12-06-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Check the actual wire size. Generally the actual wiring is smaller than light coming out of light. My case. Therefore i downsized wire at light and lubed wire with something slippery and poked wire in windshield gap and behind cowl. Only seen in small section directly below windshield. The mount actually moves quite a bit when mounted and i would be concerned with it rubbing wire mounted below it and shorting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3603002317.jpg
Views:	6033
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	587036   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1660138701.jpg
Views:	3158
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	587037  

Quick Reply: Wiring in a 50" light bar - where to run the wiring??