Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring aftermarket radio

Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring aftermarket radio

I have a bone stock 2008 JK. No infinity system, no steering wheel controls.

I bought a Sony head unit and all required harnesses etc. I have wired it up and now nothing. I attached the red accessory wire from the Sony harness that came with the radio to the red wire on the XSVI-6522-NAV Harness I was told to buy.

Ive read several threads here that say to wire to the drivers side cigarette lighter. What wire do I use to tap into the cig lighter? The yellow main power wire of the Sony harness? The red accessory wire of the Sony harness? As it is currently wired, I know I'm getting power to it due the head unit CD player making the usual whirring noise when I turn the key, however, there is no display and zero sound.

in addition, please explain why I must wire to the cig lighter. I dont understand why if the XSVI-6522-NAV harness plugs directly into the jeeps harness, then into the Sony, why doesn't it work? Why must it draw from a different source.

I hope my post is understandable. If anyone has a solution to this problem I'm having, please pm or reply to this thread.

much appreciated!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Crutchfield would be my source if I needed direction on wiring in an aftermarket radio as far as which wires to connect where. I had a Pioneer radio in my 10 (same as your 08 as far as wiring is concerned) and the only "extra" wire I had to run was a ground coming out of the harness. There was definitely no line going to the cig lighter.

Just read the directions on that adapter from Crutchfield- it doesn't mention connecting anything to the cig lighter. You should plug into the jeeps harness and those wires will then feed the Sony harness.

Last edited by karls10jk; 10-15-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep... this ^^^^

I've put stereos into two jeeps (2011 and 2014) and used Crutchfield for both... worked perfectly and was easy.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ what they said
If you already don't have one, purchase the adapter harness that plugs into the stock jeep radio harness. You'll then connect all the wires coming off your new aftermarket radio that the adapter wires coming off the Jeep's harness.
One of two things is likely happened.
A. You have some wires crossed, also check you fuses.
B. You have a bad aftermarket radio rite out of the box but this is probably not the issue, chances are it's the wiring.

2015 Hydro Blue JKU

Quick Reply: Wiring aftermarket radio