Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring Driving Lights on Night Guard

Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Driving Lights on Night Guard

I bought a set of ORA Night Guard LED headlights. The driving lights in the housing of the new lights are activated by a completely separate wire than the rest, which use the harness. My question is - since I have a Procal that I've used to activate driving lights (and from what I understand, the driving lights are just the high beams on a lower power setting), would I then be able to just splice the driving light wire into the high beam wire of the light harness to continue with my driving lights working automatically, like they were with the stock housing. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by TN_Vol_Jeeper; 04-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Getting ready to pull trigger on a set of these also. Like your idea. Will see if someone answers. If you have them installed, how about a a review?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CLOTAGAMES
Getting ready to pull trigger on a set of these also. Like your idea. Will see if someone answers. If you have them installed, how about a a review?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...talled-316685/
Somebody already put one up. I'll post some pics and impressions though.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well what I would do is test that you have voltage on the high beam wire when the driving lights are on. If so, I would just run a jumper wire to the new lights to see if the voltage is sufficient to illuminate it. If it is, I would wire it up permanently.

On my JK, the high beam wire on the passenger side is white/gray. I believe the driver side is white/light green.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

OK...so if you jumper or connect the "running lights" built into the ORA Nightguards to your high beams, then they will only come on when your high beams are on. If you high beams act as your DRL's, then you'll get both the high beams and the upper and lower strip running lights.

If the high beams act as DRL's at reduced voltage the lights may not come on at all. LED's are not like incandescent bulbs; they are ON or OFF within a voltage range. dimming is usually done through pulse width modulation (turning the proper voltage on and off VERY quickly to achieve desired brightness)...which is why an anti-flicker harness is required to eliminate the visual flicker of the PWM used to extend the life of the incandescent bulbs on the stock headlight circuit. I can't verify how these lights work with the factory DRL setting though, because I am not using it.

I had already run an extra wire for other DRL's I had previously added and used that, connected to an accessory power in the cabin, to operate the running light strips in the Nightguards. I also have a switch so I can turn them off manually if I so desire. If you want them as true DRL's all the time when the engine is running, find a fuse in the engine bay fuse box that only gets power when the vehicle is running, tap into that and then you'll have DRL's and you can disable the highbeam DRL.

Ultimately, I wouldn't just jumper them to the high beams. They provide some nice fill when the low beams are on...just my .02
Old 04-20-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by R0B0CON
OK...so if you jumper or connect the "running lights" built into the ORA Nightguards to your high beams, then they will only come on when your high beams are on. If you high beams act as your DRL's, then you'll get both the high beams and the upper and lower strip running lights.

If the high beams act as DRL's at reduced voltage the lights may not come on at all. LED's are not like incandescent bulbs; they are ON or OFF within a voltage range. dimming is usually done through pulse width modulation (turning the proper voltage on and off VERY quickly to achieve desired brightness)...which is why an anti-flicker harness is required to eliminate the visual flicker of the PWM used to extend the life of the incandescent bulbs on the stock headlight circuit. I can't verify how these lights work with the factory DRL setting though, because I am not using it.

I had already run an extra wire for other DRL's I had previously added and used that, connected to an accessory power in the cabin, to operate the running light strips in the Nightguards. I also have a switch so I can turn them off manually if I so desire. If you want them as true DRL's all the time when the engine is running, find a fuse in the engine bay fuse box that only gets power when the vehicle is running, tap into that and then you'll have DRL's and you can disable the highbeam DRL.

Ultimately, I wouldn't just jumper them to the high beams. They provide some nice fill when the low beams are on...just my .02
Thanks for the input. Some of the stuff I wasn't sure about, you just answered for me. Anybody have any suggestions for which fuse to tap into? I can think of plenty, but which one should "theoretically" not cause any unwanted side effects?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

I just googled labeled fuse block for my 09 to see what was what and what got power when the key is set to acc and run. Went to local parts store to buy a wired fuse and then pulled an unnecessary fuse. I pulled the heated seats because mine was not equipped from the factory that way and used that slot to insert my new wired fuse to run to the drls. Now the drls are powered when the key is set to acc and run. No issues and have been that way for a few months.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JAM85
I just googled labeled fuse block for my 09 to see what was what and what got power when the key is set to acc and run. Went to local parts store to buy a wired fuse and then pulled an unnecessary fuse. I pulled the heated seats because mine was not equipped from the factory that way and used that slot to insert my new wired fuse to run to the drls. Now the drls are powered when the key is set to acc and run. No issues and have been that way for a few months.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I put these in on Thursday.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just used a multimeter to find which empty fuse slot had switched power and ran a tap-a-fuse off that.

Quick Reply: Wiring Driving Lights on Night Guard