Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod

Old 09-14-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod

I currently have three scenarios where I want to use rigid led lights in different ways

i have an spod and love it

scenario a : I have a set of du ally's on the front bumper. I want them to come on when the high beams are on and I want to be able to switch them on without high beams on. I thought I could wire them to 2 spod switches , one that uses the high beam capability and the other just on or off. But I worry that I will accidentally turn both switches on and cause damage to the light?

scenario b: rock lights to come on when the door opens or when I push an spod switch. What happens if I do both, door open and the spod switch is on

scenario c: similar to rock lights but instead I have lights in the rear that should come on when in reverse or when I switch them on with an Spod.

I guess the question is if i run 2 12v lines to each light what will that do to the light and if it damages it how would you run the wires to prevent such an issue given the scenarios above

many thanks in advance
Old 09-14-2015, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AristotleJK
I currently have three scenarios where I want to use rigid led lights in different ways

scenario a : I have a set of du ally's on the front bumper. I want them to come on when the high beams are on and I want to be able to switch them on without high beams on. I thought I could wire them to 2 spod switches , one that uses the high beam capability and the other just on or off. But I worry that I will accidentally turn both switches on and cause damage to the light?

scenario b: rock lights to come on when the door opens or when I push an spod switch. What happens if I do both, door open and the spod switch is on

scenario c: similar to rock lights but instead I have lights in the rear that should come on when in reverse or when I switch them on with an Spod.

I guess the question is if i run 2 12v lines to each light what will that do to the light and if it damages it how would you run the wires to prevent such an issue given the scenarios above

many thanks in advance
Edit b/c my italics didn't show up in the quote. Even if both switches were turned on you're not going to damage the light, think of it like electricity isn't bing pushed, it's drawn by the device you're running. Also, you can accomplish a switched and auto-reverse light set up using relays or diodes to control directional flow of the electricity. 14Sport has a post somewhere describing exactly how to do it via electrical diagram.

Last edited by JCDriller; 09-14-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this would be what your talking about....I wanted to run my duallys bumper mount and windshield mount using sPOD switches...but I also wanted a strobe...I used a flasher module activated by one of the switches on the sPOD...then used rectifier diodes to keep the voltage flowing one way...and wired all my lights into the strobe...the diodes prevent backfeeding... So I can turn the individual lights on using the corresponding switch...or I can strobe them all using my Zombie Apocalypse switch :-)....if the lights are already switched on...they will not strobe if the ZA switch is thrown...so if I'm driving down road with headlights on or hitting my brakes...they wouldn't start strobing or wig wagging if someone accidentally hit the switch...
Old 09-16-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would just have to use the diode where you splice into the stock harness so you don't backfeed the stock wiring when you manually activate the lights...
Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AristotleJK

many thanks in advance
Originally Posted by JCDriller
Edit b/c my italics didn't show up in the quote. Even if both switches were turned on you're not going to damage the light, think of it like electricity isn't bing pushed, it's drawn by the device you're running. Also, you can accomplish a switched and auto-reverse light set up using relays or diodes to control directional flow of the electricity. 14Sport has a post somewhere describing exactly how to do it via electrical diagram.

Two wires feeding one light just reduces the amount of current that each wire carries. Won't harm the lights as JC said.

Just wire the aux backup lights using the sPod like you would normally do. Then add a jumper from the OEM reverse wire to the same pin in the sPod that the switch is wired to. The diode prevents the OEM reverse lights from coming on when you flick the aux switch. If you want OEM reverse lights to come on with the aux lights via the switch you can leave the diode out but everything needs to be rated to handle the additional load.

You could use this schematic for all 3 scenarios except tapping the high beam wire for "a" and the dome light wire for "b" instead of the reverse wire.

You could also do it using dual relays instead of soldering in a diode. You would only have to add one relay since the sPod already has the other in the circuit.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-22-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help! Extremely valuable. Will be pulling wire this weekend
Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Looking at the diagram running the oem wire to the spod is very clever. Would never have thought of that. Thanks again
Old 09-22-2015, 02:22 AM
JK Junkie

You're welcome...and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Two wires feeding one light just reduces the amount of current that each wire carries. Won't harm the lights as JC said.

Just wire the aux backup lights using the sPod like you would normally do. Then add a jumper from the OEM reverse wire to the same pin in the sPod that the switch is wired to. The diode prevents the OEM reverse lights from coming on when you flick the aux switch. If you want OEM reverse lights to come on with the aux lights via the switch you can leave the diode out but everything needs to be rated to handle the additional load.

You could use this schematic for all 3 scenarios except tapping the high beam wire for "a" and the dome light wire for "b" instead of the reverse wire.

You could also do it using dual relays instead of soldering in a diode. You would only have to add one relay since the sPod already has the other in the circuit.

Ok... was going to try and accomplish this over the weekend, but got tied up. Question about attaching the wire to the relay in the sPOD, how do you get to it? I believe this is a circuit board, so would i need to tap into that or is there anther way to do it?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by grabidou
Ok... was going to try and accomplish this over the weekend, but got tied up. Question about attaching the wire to the relay in the sPOD, how do you get to it? I believe this is a circuit board, so would i need to tap into that or is there anther way to do it?
I have never done it so I have no idea how the sPod is physically wired. You could look for the wire that comes from the switch and possibly tap into that if it is stout enough. Maybe add a fuse if it's not. Or you may have to pull the circuit board and attach to the bottom of the connection. I don't know to be honest and am just guessing.

Maybe someone who has done it will chime in.

Quick Reply: Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod