Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod

Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Two wires feeding one light just reduces the amount of current that each wire carries. Won't harm the lights as JC said.

Just wire the aux backup lights using the sPod like you would normally do. Then add a jumper from the OEM reverse wire to the same pin in the sPod that the switch is wired to. The diode prevents the OEM reverse lights from coming on when you flick the aux switch. If you want OEM reverse lights to come on with the aux lights via the switch you can leave the diode out but everything needs to be rated to handle the additional load.

You could use this schematic for all 3 scenarios except tapping the high beam wire for "a" and the dome light wire for "b" instead of the reverse wire.

You could also do it using dual relays instead of soldering in a diode. You would only have to add one relay since the sPod already has the other in the circuit.
This is an old thread but I'm hoping perhaps someone can help and I'm desperate. (I'm not electrically inclined.) I'm looking to do basically the same thing but I've read a few places that it is possible to use the sPOD with a DPDT switch (ON-OFF-ON) that eliminates the need for the diode.

1. The top ON position should turn on the backup/reverse LEDs regardless of the OEM reverse lights or transmission gear. Forced on if you will.
  2. The middle OFF position should turnoff the LED backup/reverse lights completely.
  3. The bottom ON position should allow the LED backup/reverse lights on come on with the OEM backup lights when I switch into reverse.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to do that or know what model of DPDT switch I need?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is how to do it with a 3 way (on-off-on) switch. You would want a 3 way contura switch for the spod.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

This is how to do it with a 3 way (on-off-on) switch. You would want a 3 way contura switch for the spod.

I thought there was a way to wire it using a DPDT switch in the sPOD and without an external relay. Is that not the case?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

The sPod already has the relay. You would just use that. You would have to remove the sPod switch and replace it with an on/off/on switch and then tap the reverse circuit to feed the new switch along with the wires that are already at the switch. I don't even know if they have Contura 3 way switches but if they do, you could use a SPDT one as well as long as it's 3 way, namely has an off position in the center.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-09-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AristotleJK
I currently have three scenarios where I want to use rigid led lights in different ways

i have an spod and love it

scenario a : I have a set of du ally's on the front bumper. I want them to come on when the high beams are on and I want to be able to switch them on without high beams on. I thought I could wire them to 2 spod switches , one that uses the high beam capability and the other just on or off. But I worry that I will accidentally turn both switches on and cause damage to the light?

scenario b: rock lights to come on when the door opens or when I push an spod switch. What happens if I do both, door open and the spod switch is on

scenario c: similar to rock lights but instead I have lights in the rear that should come on when in reverse or when I switch them on with an Spod.

I guess the question is if i run 2 12v lines to each light what will that do to the light and if it damages it how would you run the wires to prevent such an issue given the scenarios above

many thanks in advance
Make sure you have a diode on each 12v source. This will prevent backfeeding. Very important to add a $2 part just in case.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

The sPod already has the relay. You would just use that. You would have to remove the sPod switch and replace it with an on/off/on switch and then tap the reverse circuit to feed the new switch along with the wires that are already at the switch. I don't even know if they have Contura 3 way switches but if they do, you could use a SPDT one as well as long as it's 3 way, namely has an off position in the center.
I think that makes sense. This is totally new to me so I appreciate your help. So if I take OTRATTW's wiring diagram for a SPDT switch, does this look right? (ignoring the lights for now) #3 looks like it would normally be the output from when the switch is in the down ON position. So if I reverse that so it becomes the input from the OEM reverse light circuit, it will feed the the sPOD relay when in reverse and turn on the new LEDs that are connected to the sPOD?

Click image for larger version

Name:	spod-backup-v1.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	640104
Old 03-09-2016, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

Unless it has a center off position then one or the other will always be active. Meaning it will always come on with the reverse lights or always be on depending on the switch position. You will not be able to shut them off so they don't come on with the reverse lights. Is that what you want? If so, post the schematic for your current switch and I will tell you what wires need to go where. The switch schematic you posted above is not how you would do it unless you reversed the 1 and 2 wires and pin 1 is normally open. You basically want to use the pins in reverse meaning the incoming pin 2 becomes the output to the relay, the reverse light tap connects to the normally closed output pin (whether it's 1 or 3), and the current spod to relay wire connects to the normally open output pin (whether it's 1 or 3). Normally closed simply means this is the pin that is connected when the switch is off. Normally open is the pin that will be connected when the switch is on.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-09-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Unless it has a center off position then one or the other will always be active. Meaning it will always come on with the reverse lights or always be on depending on the switch position. You will not be able to shut them off so they don't come on with the reverse lights. Is that what you want? If so, post the schematic for your current switch and I will tell you what wires need to go where. The switch schematic you posted above is not how you would do it unless you reversed the 1 and 2 wires and pin 1 is normally open. You basically want to use the pins in reverse meaning the incoming pin 2 becomes the output to the relay, the reverse light tap connects to the normally closed output pin (whether it's 1 or 3), and the current spod to relay wire connects to the normally open output pin (whether it's 1 or 3). Normally closed simply means this is the pin that is connected when the switch is off. Normally open is the pin that will be connected when the switch is on.
Here are two diagrams, albeit very simplified, of what I was thinking based on what I've read and various input. I'm thinking to need to make sure this level is right before I think about the actual pins on the new switch. The first diagram is the standard sPOD setup with only the sPOD controlling the aux lights.

The second diagram is what I think I need to do to accomplish what I want.
1. Replace the stock sPOD switch with an ON-OFF-ON SPDT.
2. Run one wire from the OEM reverse lights circuit to the sPOD switches. (I don't think the diode is really needed but might be a safety net.)
2. Use the one input/common terminal as an output instead running it to the sPOD source box and relay. This is really already done by the stock sPOD wiring so I just need to move from input to output at the switch.
3. Use the two output/dedicated terminals as inputs instead with one from the sPOD and the other from the OEM reverse circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD-Normal.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	640184 Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD-ON-OFF-ON.jpg
Views:	1994
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	640185
Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MontelG
Here are two diagrams, albeit very simplified, of what I was thinking based on what I've read and various input. I'm thinking to need to make sure this level is right before I think about the actual pins on the new switch. The first diagram is the standard sPOD setup with only the sPOD controlling the aux lights.

The second diagram is what I think I need to do to accomplish what I want.
1. Replace the stock sPOD switch with an ON-OFF-ON SPDT.
2. Run one wire from the OEM reverse lights circuit to the sPOD switches. (I don't think the diode is really needed but might be a safety net.)
2. Use the one input/common terminal as an output instead running it to the sPOD source box and relay. This is really already done by the stock sPOD wiring so I just need to move from input to output at the switch.
3. Use the two output/dedicated terminals as inputs instead with one from the sPOD and the other from the OEM reverse circuit.

Attachment 640184 Attachment 640185
You got it. You don't need the diode.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

You got it. You don't need the diode.
Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod