Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod

Old 03-10-2016, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MontelG
Thanks!!
You're welcome. Let me know if you find an on/off/on contura switch. I may pick one up myself if it has dual LEDs.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
You're welcome. Let me know if you find an on/off/on contura switch. I may pick one up myself if it has dual LEDs.
I talked with someone at OTRATTW about what I wanted to do. He wasn't able to help with a wiring diagram for the bigger picture but he did point me toward two options for their switch bodies. I want blue LEDs on top and bottom so that limited my options he said. The only options with blue LEDs had independent lights on top and bottom. But, according to him I just need to jumper the switches correctly to make them work like dependent lights. VJD2 and V6D2 were the two models he pointed me toward. One being a DPST and the other being DPDT. Since I need to jumper the lights anyway he suggested I use the V6D2UXXB-00000-000 to make things easier.

OTRATTW :: Switch Body :: SPDT ON/OFF/ON :: V-SERIES SEALED ROCKER SWITCH, BODY ONLY, NO ROCKER
Old 03-10-2016, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Oh that's perfect. Thanks. I use the white LEDs and tint the switch rockers the colors I want. I bookmarked that for later. I want and have independent lights. My lower light is controlled by my dash lights. The upper light comes on when the switch is activated. That's the way I like it. You could jump the two LED ground pins together. You could also jump the top LED positive to the lower LED positive pin and make them dependent if that is what you prefer.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-10-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help - aux lights on with switch and reverse = good; apply brakes and they come on to

Could use some wiring help guys. I have the ace engineering bumper and the lifetime leds in the bumper. Want them to come on when in reverse AND switched to the Contura Rocker switch to be able to turn on manually (unloading camping gear at night).

Wired the rocker switch like i've seen and with the accessory lead from pin 3 into 85 on the relay. So switch lights work. To get into reverse I pulled the left rear light found the white/green and black ground going to the reverse bulb and tapped both. Ran the wire tap from white/green also into pin 85 on the relay and wire tapped the black ground on the reverse and ran to pin 86 of the relay.

It works. flip switch = light on. Put in reverse = lights on.

Hit the brakes and the damn lights lit up blinding everyone behind me last night driving home = WTF?

Any ideas? I'm wondering is it the grounding?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Switched reverse aux lights.png
Views:	797
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	656741  
Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

You need to change your font color. I have a black background and can't see it well.

Disconnect the ground wire from the tail light to the relay. Pin 86 should go directly to ground. You just need the positive tap from the reverse wire. If you're using an on/off/on switch you don't need the diode but otherwise you do.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-14-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Problem solved with proper ground. diodes added.

Thanks for the quick response as it was greatly appreciated.

Jeep on
Old 09-14-2016, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by craic
Problem solved with proper ground. diodes added.

Thanks for the quick response as it was greatly appreciated.

Jeep on
Glad you got it sorted. Nice work.

Quick Reply: Wiring rigid lights for multiple options with spod