Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring the sPod to the dash lights

Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
You should be able to as long as you got the independent lower LED switches. Keep us posted on how you make out.
I did. Actually, I'm also wondering if it's possible to have the top row of LED's on the dimmer as well. That way when a switch is on the indicator light won't be ridiculously brighter than the others. My dimmer switch is alway set to the lowest level, I don't like bright lights inside my vehicle, only outside.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwigsv
I did. Actually, I'm also wondering if it's possible to have the top row of LED's on the dimmer as well. That way when a switch is on the indicator light won't be ridiculously brighter than the others. My dimmer switch is alway set to the lowest level, I don't like bright lights inside my vehicle, only outside.
I'm not sure how the upper LED is wired but I believe it is a dependent LED. I did, however, order a sample theater gel book (free with $5.50 shipping) and cut little pieces to put behind my etched switches to subdue the light drastically as I understand where you're coming from. That allowed me to repurpose the pushbutton to a switched feed for some of my switches (lockers) to prevent accidental engagement.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Found the post...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...2/#post4100273
Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I'm not sure how the upper LED is wired but I believe it is a dependent LED. I did, however, order a sample theater gel book (free with $5.50 shipping) and cut little pieces to put behind my etched switches to subdue the light drastically as I understand where you're coming from. That allowed me to repurpose the pushbutton to a switched feed for some of my switches (lockers) to prevent accidental engagement.
Genius! Did you do it parallel to the lower LED circuit to indicate when the switches were hot so to speak? Or did you hardwire the lower LED lights in for constant illumination? Either way, I like that idea way more than I like the idea of an air locker getting actuated at 60 mph by someone trying to adjust their sun visor. I suppose the other option would be to purchase a standard toggle switch from the electric supply store and just run the concerning switches through it first. Depending on how the housing for the sPOD is, it should be pretty easy to drill and mount an additional safety right there.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Genius! Did you do it parallel to the lower LED circuit to indicate when the switches were hot so to speak? Or did you hardwire the lower LED lights in for constant illumination? Either way, I like that idea way more than I like the idea of an air locker getting actuated at 60 mph by someone trying to adjust their sun visor. I suppose the other option would be to purchase a standard toggle switch from the electric supply store and just run the concerning switches through it first. Depending on how the housing for the sPOD is, it should be pretty easy to drill and mount an additional safety right there.
Yes it was pretty easy. If you don't have the pushbutton you can easily add one. Here is the link to the thread I posted about it...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ite-up-324369/

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-24-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Genius! Did you do it parallel to the lower LED circuit to indicate when the switches were hot so to speak?
Sorry the switched power was a separate thing.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ite-up-324463/

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-25-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Perfect. Thanks for all the sPOD pioneering! Should make everything pretty easy. I just need to decide whether I'm going to do the mods before the initial install or run it as designed until I put the lockers in. The dinner mod is the only necessary one right up front I think. I really appreciate the thorough write-ups and I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Perfect. Thanks for all the sPOD pioneering! Should make everything pretty easy. I just need to decide whether I'm going to do the mods before the initial install or run it as designed until I put the lockers in. The dinner mod is the only necessary one right up front I think. I really appreciate the thorough write-ups and I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
No worries. Looking forward to your results.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

You're the man, this is much easier than the other way that run a bunch of jumpers. Thanks much!
Old 09-17-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wjws12
You're the man, this is much easier than the other way that run a bunch of jumpers. Thanks much!
You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Quick Reply: Wiring the sPod to the dash lights