Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Yellow Headlights

Old 03-15-2017, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Headlights

2009 Jeep JK 4-door Headlight Question - I have tried multiple headlights to replace my stock ones - I've tried the canbus adapters with no results - the results I usually get are either one headlight is on and the other is off or no lights at all - luckily Amazon allows returns - the only upgrade I've been able to do to upgrade the stock lights is the Hella H4 conversion - they work great on bright but they appear "yellow" or like they are not getting enough voltage on dim - I've checked the voltage and it appears to be right on - does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Stumpy89
2009 Jeep JK 4-door Headlight Question - I have tried multiple headlights to replace my stock ones - I've tried the canbus adapters with no results - the results I usually get are either one headlight is on and the other is off or no lights at all - luckily Amazon allows returns - the only upgrade I've been able to do to upgrade the stock lights is the Hella H4 conversion - they work great on bright but they appear "yellow" or like they are not getting enough voltage on dim - I've checked the voltage and it appears to be right on - does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
what voltage are you getting?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
what voltage are you getting?
Getting 12 volts at light socket when Jeep is not running - when Jeep is running I get 13.8 across the battery terminals - will check tonight for voltage at light socket when engine is running - thanks for your reply
Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy some good LED headlights and be done with it . Your just wasting your time and money buying other bulbs they all suck compared to LED And the voltage your getting is all your going to get it's a 12 volt system you might get a small improvement if you used an aftermarket wireing harness but it would hardly be noticeable.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cidd
Just buy some good LED headlights and be done with it . Your just wasting your time and money buying other bulbs they all suck compared to LED And the voltage your getting is all your going to get it's a 12 volt system you might get a small improvement if you used an aftermarket wireing harness but it would hardly be noticeable.
As stated above, have bought several sets and types of lights including LEDs - all with the same result. Was at a swap meet on Saturday and came across a light vendor that was selling LEDs - claimed he owned a Jeep and knew all about the stock piss-poor lights - showed me what he recommended - bought them, go them home and installed, nothing lit up - back to square one. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stumpy89
As stated above, have bought several sets and types of lights including LEDs - all with the same result. Was at a swap meet on Saturday and came across a light vendor that was selling LEDs - claimed he owned a Jeep and knew all about the stock piss-poor lights - showed me what he recommended - bought them, go them home and installed, nothing lit up - back to square one. Thanks for the reply.
Is he buying LED plug in bulbs for the factory housing (this is my bet, and they ALL suck ass), or actually buying complete LED 7" headlight assemblies?

You are guessing that you understand what he never actually said. The devil is in the details.

There are reputable LED headlight assemblies, and then there are not. When your finished playing games to see how much compromise on quality and performance you can choose to live with.... go and get the reputable ones that have a company that stands behind the design and function of the lights. Then your done and not thinking about this any longer.

I thought I recalled someone saying that the canbus system allows around 8V (clipped square wave?) to the headlights when not on high beam?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

"the results I usually get are either one headlight is on and the other is off or no lights at all ..."

Who made the CANBUS adapter you used? What you describe is two of the three symptoms (the other being the flickering that can occur) that PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) can produce.

Did you try a different adapter?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=jedg;4283484]"the results I usually get are either one headlight is on and the other is off or no lights at all ..."

Who made the CANBUS adapter you used? What you describe is two of the three symptoms (the other being the flickering that can occur) that PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) can produce.

Did you try a different adapter?[/QUOTe

I have tried complete headlight assemblies, one being Sunpie - put one in my '13 Streetglide and it was amazing - ordered two more and used a set of canbus adapters as they recommend- neither lows or highs would work - took one out and installed in Streetglide and it worked great - I do have another set of canbus adapters I'll try when I get home - thanks for the reply
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the jwspeaker headlights just plug them in and go takes 20 minutes and haven't had any problems with them. The reason is I played the cheap headlight game when I had my TJ and figured I had 3 to 4 hundred dollars in it without any real improvement so this time I went for it and have been very happy with them.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cidd
I bought the jwspeaker headlights just plug them in and go takes 20 minutes and haven't had any problems with them. The reason is I played the cheap headlight game when I had my TJ and figured I had 3 to 4 hundred dollars in it without any real improvement so this time I went for it and have been very happy with them.
Here's an update - when I got home I substituted another set of canbus adapters for the ones tried previously - nothing - while unhooking the adapters on one side, I thought what the hell and hooked the LEDs up without adapters and tried the lights - bright, white light, both of them on dim, hit the high beams and bright, white light again - started the Jeep and cannot see any pulsating but its not that dark in my garage yet --- not much difference between high and low beams but we'll see a little later if pulsating.

Quick Reply: Yellow Headlights