Notices
JK Forum Contest and Giveaways! Featured Jeep of the Month contest plus other giveaway opportunities!

Announcement: Winner of the Genesis OffRoad "What's your Story?" contest!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Announcement: Winner of the Genesis OffRoad "What's your Story?" contest!

We have to apologize for taking a while to announce the winner but this was a real close contest that came down to our first tie breaker! First, we have to say thanks to all the participants for taking the time to share their stories! And thanks for our sponsor Genesis OffRoad for making awesome products and coming up with a truly unique contest. Now time to announce the winner of the JK Dual Battery Kit from Genesis OffRoad.

Dwikto post #5 you've been selected as the winner in the Genesis OffRoad "What's your Story?" JK Dual Battery Kit contest!

We'd love to see some install pics and hear your impressions of the kit when you get it installed! Genesis OffRoad will be contacting you shortly for your shipping information. Congratulation again and Happy Holidays to all our members!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats. Wish it could have been me but hope you use it well.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratz!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Dwitko!

Here's the winning story in all it's glory!

Originally Posted by Dwikto
Ok at the request of others I will take a shot and risk total embarrasment.... This is not a story of life or death or a story of harrowing rescue, but more a story of if at first you don't succeed fail and fail again. First of all I have have two batteries, so why would I enter the contest? Glad you asked. I am a tinkerer and so often I find myself trying to remake build or do things on my own, that others have thought out and engineered. Let's call it a personality flaw at this point. In the case of the "Frankenbattery" it turned out to be somethign along the lines of why spend $500 to do it right when you can spend $600 by ordering parts off Amazon (no offense Amazon I still love you) and have it fail on you. On to the rest of the story... Feeling quite good about all I have acomplished my fellow jeeper buddy Mojave and I headded out to the desert for a weekend of product reviews and shooting. He asked me about the mess that was the battery system and I explained in Wikineese how the auto shutoff thingy would protect the starting battery if voltage got to low and I could run the accessories all night not to worry. Aux light, camp radio, air pump no problem all isolated all I got to do is turn the key and it'l start right up in the morning. That was Friday night and we had a blast that weekend literally. Sunday morning rolled around and it was time to pack up getting ready to roll out about 11am I turned that key and No beep, No click, No lights, No sounds what so ever.... Mojave is honking for me to get rolling and I flag him down, I got a problem.... Ok so obviously I made it home thanks to jumper cables. Diagnosis was two count them two dead batteries, one could not be brought back to life either, although if I still had it I probably could save it now. Anyway fast forward to today all fixed right? Wrong! Last week I went to start the beast after not driving it for a week and nothing. The rear battery was reading 8.2 volts, I am not even sure that is possible, anyway suffice to say the rear battery is temporarily disconnected until I can fix the problem the right way, by installing a propper dual battery system. Oh and for your amuzement and validation of my story I took the liberty of shooting some pix of my set up.... Start laughing GO!
Attachment 587014
my magic Amazon control gizmo
Attachment 587015
Is it tuperware? Yes so what?
Attachment 587016
A wider shot of the hole in the floor. Go on keep laughing.
Attachment 587018
Just some 2 ga wire running front to back through the floor.

I hope you like!

I think I will work on my own homemade super charger next those things are pricey! Amazon here I come!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

congrats!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

well deserved. Frankenbattery does deserve a better set up for sure. Congrats.

<------ Jealous.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor

We're so glad Dwitko won! We'd feel somehow personally responsible for the tupperware sticking out of the rear storage area if Dwitko hadn't won!

Thanks for being willing to share your humbling story of failure! We laugh, but it really is a great example of how trying to save a buck can cost you more in the end. It sounds like you have the DIY spirit, and gave it a valiant effort, and we gotta respect the effort of someone willing to learn and try, and admit when things don't go as planned. We do get comments occasionally about how it is probably easy to build your own dual battery kit, but stories like this shed light on how things aren't always as simple as they seem at first. Genesis Offroad spent a ton of time building prototype battery trays, and throwing them into the garbage can, and starting over, and repeating, to finally get to the refined version you see today.

My original goal was to have the most complete, and easiest to install dual battery kit on the market. I think Dwitko is in a unique place to be able to fully appreciate the benefits of our kit, and we can't wait to see his 'after' pictures!

Thanks Dwitko, and Merry Christmas from your friends at Genesis Offroad!

-Shane
Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Default Wow!!!

First of all thank you!!!! I almost did not enter, one out of embarrassment and two because I thought well technically I have two batteries even if they do not work. I am VERY excited to get it installed and yeah a bit excited to get my space back and maybe rid of that small risk of fire Pics will be happening, but if I have questions I will call you all and resist the temptation to "figure it out".

PSA:

A dual battery system is a worthwhile upgrade, but for Pete's sakes do it right! I have gotten a few things right in my life, but the "Frankenbattery" was not one! Hey I am going to have an Amazon battery thingy for sale! It doesn't work will kill your battery but it looks cool! PM me
Old 12-19-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on Dwikto congrats!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

thanks all!!!

Quick Reply: Announcement: Winner of the Genesis OffRoad "What's your Story?" contest!