Notices
JK Forum Contest and Giveaways! Featured Jeep of the Month contest plus other giveaway opportunities!

Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"

Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a great story but it's mine.

Probably about 10 years ago many a 8 hour drive on a super hot day. Made a stop to use the bathroom. Went to turn the key after 5 mins and nothing. Never had any issues or signs prior to stopping. I was stuck there for anther 2 hours.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's my sorry, it's not much.

Don't have a good story, have had a dead battery in my sandrail because the charge light was not wired in, jeep to the rescue. Have been researching your dual battery system (which is on my Xmas list) when wheeling like to play the radio and run other accessories while taking a break, however always scared to drain the battery. Really like how your system will only drain 1 battery and keep enough to start the vehicle. Also want to get the 4x4 sPods with the battery monitor. Looks like a great setup. Also since this in my wife's Jeep I like the feature that you can jump start your own vehicle, added safety for my wife.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a sad story or even much of one, over the years I have had many of dead batteries all at the worst time. isn't that always the case, when is there ever a good time to have a battery die..... My story is I am new to the Jeep world and have been totally sucked in, my wish list grows everyday. As I slowly built my dream Jeep what better story of a dead battery is not to have one at all, and that awesome duel battery set up you have to make that happen, when your on the trail, heading to work, picking up you date knowing you have the peace of mind of your kit.... This addition to my dream Jeep would be another line drawn through my wish list and I would be honored to rock this in my JK.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Default Papabear's Dead Battery Story

November 18, 1982 started out cold and snowy in the wee morning hours. I worked a double shift and was pretty tired when I arrived home at 600 am. Wife was expecting any day and the plan was to take her to the Clinic in Frisco, Colorado when she went into labor and transfer her to the hospital in Vail, Colorado via Ambulance. Anyway all was quiet at home so I laid down and began to get some sleep needed to be at work in 8 hours, my batteries were low . At 715 in the morning my wife woke me to tell me her water had broke, well I did the fatherly thing started my 77 Scout up and rushed her to the clinic normally 20 minutes away, took 45 minutes roads were horrible and visibility even worse. Arrived at the clinic, wife went into an examination room to await the ambulance, Doctor arrived with a grin, I am a nervous wreck, first child jitters. I asked the Nurse if the ambulance was going to make it to Vail, "sure they do it all the time" she assured me. I went into the examination room and my baby daughter was not waiting for no steakin ambulance, she was coming and NOW!!! I Passed out at the site, really did. Anyway when I came too the doctor was checking me for a concussion, the nurse was cleaning my daughter, my wife was crying......... My Daughter was the very first Baby to be born at the Clinic in Frisco, Colorado!!!!!!! Well the Doctor told my wife to rest, I held my daughter she is gorgeous. Doctor suggested I go home and and get some rest, no concussion . Got home made phone calls to families, inlaws, Sheriffs Department to announce my daughters birth, worked in the Jail in Summit County. Laid down on the couch, fell asleep. Around 2:00pm I woke up, took a shower and got dressed, woooooooo hooooo I'm going to see my bestes girls in the world. Well this tired father had 1) Left Scout II running when I got home. 2) Locked the doors on said Scout II. 3) Ran out of Gas in said Scout II. 4) Drained Battery on said Scout II. Well now what was I suppose to do........ Nice thing about being a Deputy Sheriff is help is a phone call away, My buddies took me to the clinic, came back and put 5 gallons of gas in the Scout II, Jumped my battery, and brought my Scout II to the Clinic. Not married to that woman anymore but Love my Daughter to this very day.

Last edited by papabear; 12-08-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a nightmare. It was my mother's bmw x5 battery. The truck was dead inside the garage. The only thing that was open was the drivers door, and the hood, nothing else was able to open since the door lock actuators are electronic and no way to unlock them. I tried switching the transmission into neutral so i can push the truck out and jump it but no luck. I couldn't even get into the glovebox, which the owners manual was in. After some good info digging online, I found out there's a tool in the trunk that is to make the transmission go into neutral. I had to climb through the inside of the truck to the trunk and find it. After i found it I was able to stick the tool in its slot (removing the front drivers side cup holder, exposes it) I was able to push the truck out and jump start it. I hate cars that require so many electronics.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A few years back we were running the sand dunes and the battery came loose during a jump and shorted out against the hood. We were checking the damage when he battery tops exploded in our face. After rinsing the acid off in a puddle of nasty water we took that same nasty water and filled the battery back up and we ran it for the next few days before driving home on the same battery.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

I had just got a promotion and we relocated to New Mexico at the time. All of our stuff was packed and ready to go, except my Jeep would not load onto the "company provides" vehicle transport.

We ended up taking my Jeep 800 miles. When we arrived into New Mexico, it was snowing up north. The drivers on the road were clearly frightened by a few snowflakes

As we moved along towards Albuquerque, I came upon a woman in an audi, driving in the fast lane at 30 miles per hour. The right lane was blocked by big rigs going even slower. It was foggy and snowing harder now- so I turned on my spot lights to signal her to politely move over.

The woman wouldn't move, so I fell back and waited. I noticed that she started speeding up so I followed as the snow cleared. I passed her and she flipped us the bird.

Fast forward 100 miles... all of a sudden my jeeps dash lights start flickering and then BAM, at 55 mph it turns off and everything dies. Pulled over and it turns out the wiring from my spots had a short and it was wired directly to the battery. I am not an electrical genius, but I assume the water shorted something out.

My family is angry, hungry and tired. My then 2 year old son poops and we forgot we ran out of diapers. (New daddy oops)

1 hour later as I try to be super dad and fix the problem- a problem I still have no idea occured, a woman in a black audi pulls up behind us. It is the same woman the threw us the bird.

She gets out and starts chatting with my wife as I continue to dig under the hood.

It turns out that this woman is the Vice President of the company I work for and was travelling from Denver. My wife ends up somehow talking about our relocation and what company I work for. My wife said that once she mentioned my company, she just smiled and told her good luck "sweety" and left.

The woman left and I was just frustrated. We had no idea who she was yet. About 20 minutes later I get a phone call from my VP and she says, " Hi, your wife was nice and a truck will be there soon to help you. See you when you get to work on Thursday."

Game over now and I am so confused. To this day it is still akward with her and she has never mentioned anything.

If I had a dual battery setup, I would probably have wired things the right way and my future career aspirations would not rely on me waiting for this woman to leave the company!!

Last edited by JKRescue08; 12-08-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't really have a dead battery story for my Jeep yet but hoping i dont have to deal with that because i won a dual battery kit. Still worth a shot.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Haven't owned my jeep long enough to get a dead battery but my first car was a 1968 mustang. I was driving home from my ex girlfriend's dorm my senior year of high school during December when a police officer pulls behind me and turns his lights on. So I move over to let him pass and I noticed he moved over with me. I look down and I'm only going about 45 mph on I-495 (it was snowing) so I pull over and roll down my window as he walks up. He asks me if I know why he pulled me over and I told him that I did not. He says because I didn't have my head lights on. I tried to explain that they were, in fact, on and this car, which seemed to be about double his age, didn't have the same quality headlights that cars do now. He goes up front to look and says that he's still giving me a ticket because they aren't bright enough and need to be "checked". Frustrated, I once again try to explain that it is an old car but it was to no avail. He turns around and walks off to his cruiser. Being a poor high school kid that just spent everything he ever earned to rebuild a '68 mustang, I then turn the engine off to "save gas" and when he comes back, he hands me the ticket, goes back the cruiser and leaves. Utterly defeated by this police officer, I turn the key... nothing...... turn on the lights.... lights come on. Confused, I start looking around for the reason my car won't turn over. I look at EVERYTHING. Eventually, I call a tow truck to drag my butt home and after sitting in the mustang for about 20 minutes, I look down... "what the heck?... IM NOT IN PARK!"

Put the car in park, it fired right up. So not a dead battery story, but it made me learn the easy way. A dead battery will only make a day ruined by a jerk of a LEO, even worse.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a dead battery from this because I disconnect my battery when I leave for more than a couple of weeks, but being in an F-18 squadron in the Marine Corps, a lot of the new guys don't disconnect their batteries when we go out on these month long detachments or longer deployments. It's gotten to the point where I take a jumper cable and all of my tools with me every where I go. Every time we come home I end up jumping at least 10-15 people's cars to at least get them to AutoZone or helping them change an alternator.

Quick Reply: Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"