Notices
JK Forum Contest and Giveaways! Featured Jeep of the Month contest plus other giveaway opportunities!

Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"

Old 12-10-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my story of my Battery leaving the opposite of high and dry.

Last summer a buddy asked me to take him out wheeling in the afternoon, he has a 2wd Jeep :/ so we went out to an easy area out in tampa to get his feet wet . We go out and do all the little mud and ups and downs. I was getting kind of bored, so i was like come on lets go climb concrete piping in the back and other rock obstacles. He was like idk if i can even make it back there, I was like true. We can just ride in my Jeep and go back there im sure there will be more people out there. So we hop in my jeep along with 2 girls he brought along with him. We head back to the area, there was a Ford 250 stuck in sugar sand, so I offered to help him. I got my winch out to help him and I see my jeep start to lose a little power from the winch moving the heavy truck. I then see another wrangler stuck on a rock i help him out also. We then go on our way, I call up another buddy to come out since I was in his area. Then we see a river crossing and went to the other side of it and see whats over there. Nothing, just more trees and bushes, so we turn around. I head back into the river to cross then i see that the river is pretty low so i decide to see where it goes.

I drive down the river for less than a quarter of mile and i find an exit out to the left. I wasnt really sure about driving into the river where i heard it was a little deeper. I then go why not the girls like what was going on so i went for it. I threw it in 4 low just in case and went ahead. Water splashed onto my hood, i started climbing but i couldnt catch traction so i tried to put in reverse to get more of a running start. once i but in the jeep i got stuck in a whole. I then kept spinning and i wasnt moving, told my buddy to strap my winch to the tree and then i tried the jeep turned off. I thought the jeep Stalled and got hyrdolocked. Water then started coming into the jeep after awhile it started to get dark and the buddy i called before wasnt here yet. I was stuck down there for 2 more hours, the jeep was flooded to above the seat bottoms. My buddy finally came in his tj and it was hard for him to pull my heavy JKU so we had to strap his TJ to a tree and try and it worked. He then straped my jeep behind his I called a tow truck i thought my jeep was done so i just told him to bring it all the way to the front and wait for the tow truck to come.

The jeep went to the jeep dealership and then next day i was ready for the worst of it. saying that I would have to claim insurance on it and having to rebuild the motor. They call me telling me that my Battery died. I go thats all nothing else they were like yea thats all. we might have to jump it before you leave. I was so happy, it was only that.

When all this happened I was planning on using my lockers to stop the wheel spin and i never had a chance. Because i had a dead battery

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3245.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	587472Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3259.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	587471Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3255.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	587473

Last edited by AirecK; 12-11-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't have a dead battery story but, if I win this, I won't ever have a dead battery story
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

I really need this so bad. It has happen to me a few times but the God awful worst happened about a year and a half ago in the winter. I am in the U.S. Coast Guard and I was off duty when my coworkers called me saying they got the government vehicle stuck attempting to get to an ice rescue case. They were about a mile out from the case. I was recalled to help them out with my jeep. After winching and using a lot of power and lighting to get this massive ice rescue gv unstuck it killed my jeep and I needed a jump and was stuck in limp mode. My crew left with out me to go to the case and I was stranded until the case was over. If I would have had the extra juice I could have saved time and maybe even been able to help more with the case itself. The following day my jeep was completely dead with no hopes of driving until I got another battery. I am still currently in the coast guard today is the 8 year and we Coasties will use what ever we have to help so even if it means using our own vehicles to help we will even though it's frowned upon. Thank you for this great offer it would be awesome if I won
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor

I just gotta say WOW, I'm loving all the great stories from you guys! Ha! Keep 'em coming, one week till we pick a winner!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default A dark night....

This story happened to be my Jeep, and my battery... but I did what they say you should never do... I loaned my Jeep out. My Pastor at the time was taking his son bear hunting near Libby, MT. He did not have a 4x4 and my Jeep would work great... they planned on using it for a tent as well, (three days you can endure just about anything). It would be his sons first bear hunt. After contemplating how cool it would be, to be a part of their memory, and also knowing my Jeep would give them the best chance to get in and out of the mountains... I let them take the Jeep. The ride across the state went uneventfull for them, they got to watch the Jeep roll over 100,000 miles... which they had never seen happen before. They headed up to the camp site in the middle of "no-where" (thats where bears are too!) ...20 plus miles of gravel and rutted roads. They had the Jeep in high range in the dark, the fog lights on because of the drizzle and begining of snowfall, and it is cool to drive through the timber at night- creepy but cool! They turned off on a really ugly logging road and were driving it back to get away from the main road to camp. They had went about three miles in and they hit a large stump in the road... (boom!) and lost everything. Engine was dead, lights were dead, the fan was dead, the radio was dead... the Pastor got out to see if a battery cable had disconnected, That would have been great, an easy fix. When he tried to open the hood he noticed it seemed real heavy, and as he tried to lift it up -he heard a crash and the hood came up real fast! The battery strap had broken, and the battery had tried to weld itself to the hood... and now was cracked with all the acid running out. It was a dead battery in every possible way. With the snow falling and the night getting wet, they decied to get in their sleeping bags till morning. As they tried to get settled, his son said he was feeling sick and had a fever, and was having flu symtoms as well. Because he was so sick and it seemed best to just get some rest, pray and see how things are in the morning.
When morning came, he found their world covered in snow, about 4 inches! The water had froze all over the windows, and everything looked like textured glass, except for the front window which was pure white. His son was still having the chills, so they made the best of it just staying near the Jeep that day, they had lots of food, and no one would miss them for a couple days, and they thought maybe they should just stick together, hopefully the teenaged son would be better by the end of the day, and they could try to get back to the main road for help. His son however had a hard time holding food down, and was sick the whole day, and stayed in the Jeep all day trying to stay warm in the sleeping bag. Another night of rest, they had coyotes howling all around through the night.
The next morning after breakfast the son felt a little better, was warm and ate again. By 10am they had decided that his food was staying down, and the Dad made sure he was ok to stay in the Jeep alone, and he would walk to the main road for help. It was warmer that day, by noon the Dad had made it up to the main forest service road, but found no tracks from any other hunters or any forest service vehicles or any thing in the snow! He went down the main road for about an hour and found a 24 inch tree had fallen accross the road, blocking the road off completely, there had been a couple sets of tracks that made it to that point and had turned around. He waited a bit, but was tired from walking and knew that the sun sets early, and it looked like a storm was coming in again. In Montana some of these areas once the snow falls, it can be a week before it melts again. Knowing his son was alone, he walked back so he could get back to him before dark. Cook some more food, and sleep another night... it was snowing again. All the warm weather had got his feet cold and wet, and he was ready for needed sleep as well.
But, sleep was not easy that night, he layed there trying to thing of what they should do... eat the rest of the food in the morning and walk out as far as they can, hoping to find another hunter? Should they start a big fire and try to get attention that way? Should the weather turn bad, before they found other people...could they live though the next night with what they had? As you might imagine, as a Pastor, it occured to him that he should pray. So he did... and he went to sleep sick to his stomach, wondering how this would turn out.
In the darkest of night, it had stopped snowing and it was very late (about 2:30 am). He woke to a sound, he could hear a plane outside, so he started to think about what to do, it was above the clouds and it would never see him... no way the flashlight or even a fire would get any attention. But as he listened he realized... it was not a plane at all... but it was an engine. He got up and saw light up on the ridge of the main road... someone had cut through the tree! He jumped up, put his coat and boots on and ran with his flashlight through the woods! Trying to make it to the main road...but there was no way to get up there before they went past... then what? He ran in his long johns... falling in the snow a couple times... yelling for help. There was no way to catch them... the engine was still whining, but there was not hope. It was going to be a long night.
Then he realized... the truck was getting closer? It had taken the same cut off and was coming right towards him! He ran up to the truck, they were laughing about finding a man in his undies in the middle of the night. They were locals, and they were going up to hunt first light in the morning, but they decided (as most Montana folk would) that a rescue was just as fun! Looking at the option of trying to pull the Jeep out, it seemed like a bad plan. nothing works real well without power. They took both him and his son, and they went back to the nearest town, called the store owner (whom they knew) at 4am... and he opened his store and they got a battery. They drove them both back up the mountain, got there in morning light! They helped them get the Jeep started, then with a wave they took off to go hunt the rest of their day.
The Pastor and his son drove safley home, and with some cleaning and paint under the hood... the Jeep healed up nicley.
I have not loaned my Jeep out again, but I was right that it became a part of their "unforgetable memories" as a father and son! True story!
Yes I would like a chance to win twice batteries!

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 12-12-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't have a colorful horror story yet, I'm hoping to prevent one because I know my time is coming.

As a female offroad photographer and journalist who spends a lot of time in remote desert locations by myself, my biggest fear is getting stranded out there with no one around to help me. Yes I know it's not smart to be out there solo, but sometimes ya gotta do whatever it takes. Lately my (fairly new) battery has given me a few scares around town and I know that switching to a dual battery setup needs to be next on my list before I get stuck someplace where I can't even call for help. Between cell phone, gps/nav system, two different ham radios, a CB radio, lightbar, bumper and winch hoop lights, air compressor, winch, plus the inverter I run for keeping the batteries for all of my photography gear charged, I know I'm pushing my luck. Not to mention that it looks like a rats nest with all the wires I have hooked up to my battery.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Location - ‘Machtesch Ramon’ (Ramon Crater) – the worlds’ largest erosion-collapse crater, 25 x 6 miles, the Negev Desert, Israel.
It was the last day of 4 day offroading with my son.

We were resting, deep and far in the crater, cooking, chatting and joking – real fun.
Such days tend to be transformed into nights… The sky started getting darker, heavy shadow and near darkness engulfed us down there.
We decided it’s time to drive out, up to the nearest town above us, about 10~15 miles drive.
It wouldn’t start... weak battery.
No other vehicle within sight. The mobile or the hand-held CB are useless in such topography.
No air traffic above.

The nights in that desert are pretty cold. We didn’t plan on staying the nights outdoors, so we had no tent or anything.
We did have some wood left, so I started a fire. A pretty small one, surrounded with stones, to make the stones radiate heat and the wood last longer.
The small fire was positioned so it would be reflected from the headlights and seen from far away. We thought this might work, because the air there is very clear, and it was pitch dark, just stars, almost no moon.

It was too cold to sleep. It took the stones a long time to accumulate heat, and even then they warmed us only if we almost touched them.
Blocking the fire light with our bodies blocked the signaling effect... so we approached very near it once in a while, to warm up a little.
We chatted on, and occasionally used a flashlight for signaling and to check for snakes. No snakes, but a few yellow scorpions dropped by to see how we’re doing. None of them happened to have a 12V battery.

There was no guarantee that a vehicle will pass there the next day, so we considered walking in the morning, either to the town above, miles of steep trails, or to the road which crosses the crater, an even longer walk.

At about 3:30 AM, we heard an engine, then saw lights… we signaled at that direction with 2 flashlights. It turned out to be a military HMMWV.
They noticed faint glares from far away, and decided to check what’s going on.
They had a battery… and my next mod was dual battery.

I installed two Optima Yellow Tops and a smart charge solenoid. I’m about to replace the dual battery carrier mainly because I don’t like having nylon straps holding the batteries. Also, the wiring is a mess.
(See Sunnysideup post -- “The battery strap had broken, and the battery had tried to weld itself to the hood...”)

A Genesis Offroad Dual Battery Kit is on the way and due to arrive within a few days -- IMO, the best designed dual battery kit, which I expect to work as well as it looks.

But hey, my son still doesn’t have dual battery on his rig…

Click image for larger version

Name:	מכתש רמון.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	587820

Last edited by GJeep; 12-14-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

This just happened this weekend...
So I was relocated to the Caribbean for work. As a perk, my boss tells me they will ship my Jeep down. When it comes time to actually make the move, he says, "no you don't want to take it down there... Leave it here with us, we will take care of it. We will start it up and and drive it around from time to time". Over the last year, every couple months I ask him if anyone has started it... "Yup, just took it around the block last week!!" So the story goes.
This past Thursday I told him I was coming up and will be taking the Jeep the next day on Friday. $100.00 cab ride from the airport to the hotel.
Well.. I get there on Friday at 7pm (it is parked in a Marriott parking garage). Tell the valet, I am the owner of the jeep that has been there for over a year, "Ok, let me get the keys...
About 30 minutes goes by and the guy comes and says, "do you want to go downstairs with me? I can't get it started". We go down 3 floors into the basement, my jeep is covered in so much shit, cobwebs, dust, leaves... My jeep has not moved an inch since I tossed them the keys last year. The remote won't even unlock the doors, the battery is so dead.
To boot, I noticed my drivers side bumper is dented, moving farther up, the side parking light is broken and even farther up is a 6" scratch down the freaking fender. Someone hit my Jeep. All that is going through my mind is WTF!
The valet was nice enough to hook his honda up to jump, but not budging after another 30 minutes.
So I set off to buy another battery. Took about 40 minutes to get to Advanced Auto Parts. $60.00 cab ride. $200.00 battery. Oh wait, I don't have a 10mm wrench in my Jeep. $30.00 for a new socket set.
So now it is 9pm, the battery is replaced and I am sitting behind the wheel of something that looks like a prop in American Pickers.
I have 2 batteries now, but no dual kit, my boss is a dick, and I could use some cheer!!
Thanks for listening to me vent.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stranded.

So I was on one of my first dates with my now girlfriend of over a year and we wanted to go get ice cream later one night. She was going to a school about an hour and a half away from me and I didn't know anybody up there and she just started school there so she didn't know really anybody either. I was trying to impress her still, so I thought my Jeep would be a big help with that! I was wrong...

I knew I needed a new battery before winter hit because when it got colder out my Jeep would barely start or not start at all. When we got into the Jeep to leave it barely started and I just figured was because it was cold out. After I drive it a little it usually warmed up and I didn't have a problem starting again. When we got to the ice cream place I just wanted to make sure it would start, so I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and it was dead. I couldn't be more embarrassed and I hoped she would still want to be with me after this. We were stranded in a place where we knew nobody and it was about 9:30 at night. I'm looking around and I noticed an AutoZone right across the street, how lucky were we!! But the bad part was we had to cross a four lane highway and try to make it alive. Luckily I have a toolbox in the back of the Jeep and I got the battery out. We got to the highway, looked both ways a made a mad dash for it! People must of thought we were crazy, but we made it! $115 later I bought the battery and we made it back to the Jeep, I put it in and it started right up!

This was a night I'll never forget and I knew I had a true jeep girl. She helped me put it in and she didn't make fun of me for this happening haha long story short we got our ice cream after and I'll always remember this for being the most expensive ice cream date ever! Even when your Jeep can make you spitting mad, it'll make memories you'll never forget.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was in college, a friend of mine called and said her battery was dead and she needed me to come jump her car. When I got there, she told me the battery light even came on before her car died, so that's how she knew it was the battery. As i know now, that light means the battery is not charging bc the ALTERNATOR is dying. So i proceeded to hook her car up to mine with cables and BAM!!! She fired up her car and i fried her electrical system under the hood. Her parents then convinced her it was my fault and made me pay half. Which was about $300+.

Quick Reply: Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"