Notices
JK Forum Contest and Giveaways! Featured Jeep of the Month contest plus other giveaway opportunities!

Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"

Old 12-05-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"

How would you like a chance to win a Genesis Off Road dual battery kit with high-amp isolator? Genesis Off Road is giving away a JK dual battery kit with 200-amp isolator to one lucky JK-Forum member show shares the best "dead battery" horror story in this thread.

Has your battery ever left you high and dry, or have you come to the rescue of someone with a dead battery? Share the story here for a chance to win!

This prize is one dual battery kit with the 200-amp isolator upgrade and is valued at $519.

To WIN:
  • You must be a registered member of JK-Forum.com.
  • You need to share your dead battery horror story in this contest registration thread before 12am Pacific Standard Time on December 19, 2014.
  • Only one submission per member will be accepted. Subsequent submissions will be removed.

Complete contest rules: JK-Forum com - Sweepstakes- Genesis_dual_battery_kit Sweepstakes_v2.docx

One winner will be selected by Genesis Off Road and the staff of JK-Forum. The winner will be notified via private message and a post on this thread at 12 noon Pacific Standard Time on December 19, 2014.

For more information about Genesis Off Road's products visit their website at Genesis Offroad

Last edited by sm_rubi; 12-06-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give it a try. A group of us were riding a creek near cooters pond in Alabama . We came a cross a big pine tree laid in a pretty big hole. So we grabbed the chain saws and buddy had a winch. So we cut it and had him winch it out of the way. So people wouldn't keep ripping the exhaust out hopping over it. We are about 4 miles in. Well after getting the tree out we continue to ride my buddy's battery light comes on. Some how his winch shorted out cause it to ground out draining his battery. Well storms moving in and the creek floods from the Alabama river rising. After Jumping it off over and over. We got it back to the paved road and got a new battery and figured out the winch was grounding out. That night on the news several riders were stranded due to the flood waters.They had Jeeps in waters to the roof and had to be rescued. We got out in time. That's it. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my story:

A while back I was in a motorcycle wreck and ever since the repairs were done I've had an electrical gremlin that caused starting issues. Even replacing the battery (when bike wouldn't start at all and Jeep was in the shop leaving me stranded) didn't fix the issue.

I rode to work one day and when I went to leave at the end of the day it wouldn't start at all. I tried to jump it and it took 45 minutes before the bike would start but as soon as cables were disconnected bike died again. After about another 30 minutes on the jumper cables I finally got it to run when disconnected. I take off and 5 minutes into the ride home bike dies on me...while going up a hill on a busy road...with no shoulder...in the middle of a blind curve! After pushing the bike up the hill to get out of the blind curve I made a few calls and find someone that could come help me with another jump. After another 20 minutes on the jumper cables I was able to get it started and my buddy followed me back to work. Luckily I had a battery tender in my saddle bags so I plugged it in, unfortunately my buddy had somewhere to go in the opposite direction and couldn't give me a lift home. After a bit of asking around I find someone willing to go over half hour out of his way to drop me off at home.

The next day I flew out of town for a week so I left the bike charging the whole time. When I got back and tried to start the bike again it lost all power. I had to use a battery from a friend's bike to ride it to where I could get it loaded to ship cross country for a move to Texas and I STILL haven't been able to fix the problem!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor

We hear the question often - why do I need a dual battery kit? Well we want to hear your answers! Would your dog still be alive if you had dual batteries? Would you still be married if you hadn't been stranded that one time? Make us , make us , or make us go - we want to hear your stories!

If the story is good enough, we just might even reenact your tale for a video on our website.

With ALL the wiring done for you out of the box, you can have it installed before the kids wake up on Christmas morning!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Default Rising to the level of my own incompetence

Ok at the request of others I will take a shot and risk total embarrasment.... This is not a story of life or death or a story of harrowing rescue, but more a story of if at first you don't succeed fail and fail again. First of all I have have two batteries, so why would I enter the contest? Glad you asked. I am a tinkerer and so often I find myself trying to remake build or do things on my own, that others have thought out and engineered. Let's call it a personality flaw at this point. In the case of the "Frankenbattery" it turned out to be somethign along the lines of why spend $500 to do it right when you can spend $600 by ordering parts off Amazon (no offense Amazon I still love you) and have it fail on you. On to the rest of the story... Feeling quite good about all I have acomplished my fellow jeeper buddy Mojave and I headded out to the desert for a weekend of product reviews and shooting. He asked me about the mess that was the battery system and I explained in Wikineese how the auto shutoff thingy would protect the starting battery if voltage got to low and I could run the accessories all night not to worry. Aux light, camp radio, air pump no problem all isolated all I got to do is turn the key and it'l start right up in the morning. That was Friday night and we had a blast that weekend literally. Sunday morning rolled around and it was time to pack up getting ready to roll out about 11am I turned that key and No beep, No click, No lights, No sounds what so ever.... Mojave is honking for me to get rolling and I flag him down, I got a problem.... Ok so obviously I made it home thanks to jumper cables. Diagnosis was two count them two dead batteries, one could not be brought back to life either, although if I still had it I probably could save it now. Anyway fast forward to today all fixed right? Wrong! Last week I went to start the beast after not driving it for a week and nothing. The rear battery was reading 8.2 volts, I am not even sure that is possible, anyway suffice to say the rear battery is temporarily disconnected until I can fix the problem the right way, by installing a propper dual battery system. Oh and for your amuzement and validation of my story I took the liberty of shooting some pix of my set up.... Start laughing GO!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141206_105143_resized.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	587014
my magic Amazon control gizmo

Name:	20141206_105213_resized.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	587015
Is it tuperware? Yes so what?

Name:	20141206_105229_resized.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	587016
A wider shot of the hole in the floor. Go on keep laughing.

Name:	20141206_105309_resized.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	587018
Just some 2 ga wire running front to back through the floor.

I hope you like!

I think I will work on my own homemade super charger next those things are pricey! Amazon here I come!

Last edited by Dwikto; 12-06-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off the grid battery woes.......

A couple years ago, my wife, daughter and I decided to take an "Off the Grid" trip, deep into the Appalacphia. While in route to our destination, we decided to keep harmony by having at least some gadgets and gizmos available u till our arrival. We arrived late at night, shut everything down and called it official. We were well off the grid. No phones, no hand held devises, no iPads, no Nook, etc. just us, our gear, a remote, primitive camp and just enough food to get us by in case we caught no fish. Well, the very next day, we jumped in our rig, turn the key and nothing. I quickly realized, the use of all the electronics in route, along with lights and off road lights, completely killed our one and only battery. I had in all my wisodom, passed on packing any mountain bikes. A long, brisk walk back out for approximately 15 miles proved to be a solid moment of reflection. In all, I was pleased I had the opportunity for such an adventure and little did I think of just how heavy that battery would be for e walk back to camp. Once I arrived at the only place in town that sold batteries, they had closed. I was den. No way to recover, no way to call my wife and tell her the news. As shear luck would have it, I'm walking back toward camp and some guy rolled by towing a boat. He offered me a ride. Upon telling him of our intended trip and the recent turn of events, he drove me all the way back to camp and dismounted one of his batteries from his boat. I gave him my battery as he thought it would be a decent add given the situation. We finished out camping week with a great time, good lessons and even greater appreciation for the perfect timing of everything. I now know just how much I do need a dual battery set up.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

This August, my kids and I were driving to Great basin National Park when I decided to take a detour to Marjum Canyon. We turned off the highway onto the dirt road and headed into the canyon. We stopped to see the old hermits cave and did some hiking around. We got back to the Jeep and had some lunch. After we cleaned up and headed down the road we came to a clearing and saw a couple camping right near the road. We weren't driving fast and could see the hood up on their Outback. I slowed way down and asked if they were okay. When they had gotten up to pack up that morning their battery was dead and they hadn't seen anyone at all that day to help them. Cell service in the canyon is non existent. I pulled the jeep in and jumped their battery. The kids and I helped them take down camp and we followed them out of the canyon to the highway to make sure they got closer to civilization.

It's times like that where I wish I had dual batteries so I'm never stranded in the desert just waiting on a kind passerby.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Middle of a cold South Dakota winter day on the highway in the middle of no where on a state highway. Short cell that then caused havoc on the the gauges and ECM/Computer system. Stuck until I could catch a ride and get a new battery
Old 12-07-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default dead battery story

This was when i was a dumb teenager. I was at the local cruise spot with the top off. As I passed a car, a girl in a passing car thru some trash in my car. I was pissed. Next time I saw her she was parked. I pulled up and parked next to her. I took a drag off my cigarette and the flicked it into her car thru the window. I said, "B*tch, don't throw trash in my jeep!".

She replied, "That was my phone number!".

Needless to say i felt like an idiot. I quickly tried to exit the situation. Jumped into the jeep and guess what..... Click, click, click. Dead battery........ she laughed, drove off yelling something about karma.....

Last edited by teejayone; 12-07-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

I took my wife to our local credit union and she goes in for some weekend cash. A she is walking out I tried to start my Jeep. All it did was click.
So, I hop out and open the hood, everything looked good but still no juice. I walk into the credit union and like a old Clint Eastwood movie everyone turned and looked at me. I was wondering what the heck everyone was looking at till I remembered my 45 was hanging on my hip (OOPS can't carry in the credit union). The security guard got up (glad I knew him) as I stepped back outside. I told him my battery was dead and as he laughed he went over and got his Jeep to jump start me. So, I thinking that it could of been worse when a armored car pulls in across from me.
I figured I had better head to the auto store to check on the battery. I back out in front of the armored car as the guard starts to carry in the money. When, guess what, my Jeep dies, so I turn the key and click. So there I am sitting cross ways in front of the armored car with a dead battery. I step out of my Jeep, with the 45 on my hip with a guard carrying money, not really a great move, because his eyes got big as he reaches for his weapon. I am thinking this won't end well when I hear my friend the security guard yell out that everything is cool. He said he knew me and my Jeep had a dead battery. The guards all laughed and said you need to go to Walmart and get a battery. My wife dogs me every time she goes back because all her cashier friends make fun of her bad a** Jeep with her dead battery makes a bad getaway vehicle from a armored car heist.

Quick Reply: Genesis Off Road JK Dual Battery Kit Contest: "What's Your Story?"