Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

08 JKUR I wish I didn't build

Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 JKUR I wish I didn't build

So I grew up in utah, grew up wheeling in moab, and now that I'm a real adult or something I built up a jeep thinking I would get back into wheeling. Instead, I just have a jeep that's not quite as fun to drive on long road trips and takes me on an occasional fire road for camping. Oh well.

I used to wheel this, and I could only find one picture - Click image for larger version

Name:	vEtVP6T.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	679316 http://youtu.be/kdDXwocia-g http://youtu.be/3W4LCFXTu8U The jeep started like this -
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nbs4UqY.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	772.1 KB
ID:	679317

And now it's this. I'm really just posting because I would like to eventually post this for sale in the billboards too, but I'm happy to answer any questions for anyone thinking about doing similar mods.

37" MTR Kevlar Tires w/new spare
Terraflex HD spare tire carrier/back door
Poison Spider rock brawler II rear bumper
Bestop trektop pro
spider shades mesh up front for when you pull the top off
RK 3.5" Long arm lift, installed by Northridge 4x4
Bilstein shocks all around
5:13 Yukon gears, installed by Northridge
HD Ball joints
c gussets
front axle sleeved
lower control arm skid plates
poison spyder diff covers
upgraded track bar and synergy high steer kit.
ten factory chromoly rear shafts
truck light LED headlights
full synthetic oil changes
method wheels
rebuilt door hinges with delrin bushings and rhino lined
aftermarket window tint
smittybilt fender flares

Name:	9iCiBGL.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	595.8 KB
ID:	679318

Name:	cLIUy3m.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	679319

Name:	S1oZnDM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	604.8 KB
ID:	679320

Name:	tKYhGFl.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	679321

Name:	x9xWkuO.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	679322

Name:	WurmJTg.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	679323
Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand what you're saying completely. I would love to go back in time and buy a truck instead. Then find a cheap xj to build where I wouldn't have to worry about the drivability at 70mph.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I understand what you're saying completely. I would love to go back in time and buy a truck instead. Then find a cheap xj to build where I wouldn't have to worry about the drivability at 70mph.

Yeah, if this was my main hobby, I would be totally happy. But it's not. I ski, and camp, and bike, and climb. Those are more important to me than wheeling which it took building this thing to figure out.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

More people should think this through before they get to the point where you are. Most of the folks who drop all of their money into these jeeps will put 10k miles on them and then sell them in three months.

I 'modded' mine very slowly and 5yrs/ 130k miles down the road, it's still comfortable as a DD. That said, it doesn't get the looks that the guys on 37's get.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
More people should think this through before they get to the point where you are. Most of the folks who drop all of their money into these jeeps will put 10k miles on them and then sell them in three months. I 'modded' mine very slowly and 5yrs/ 130k miles down the road, it's still comfortable as a DD. That said, it doesn't get the looks that the guys on 37's get.
Exactly !!!! My jeep is 7 years old come May this year and built over 5 years ..... I'm in Canada so lots of wheeling in the Bobcaygeon, Minden, Ardbeg areas as well as trips to the states to Moab, Rausch Creek and Rocks and Valleys. If your jeep is so bad on the hiway .... You obviously built it wrong!!!! What's holding you guys back from selling your jeeps and buying a truck? Do it if you'll be happier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1278399386.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	642484   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3466196227.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	642485   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-721113279.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	642486  
Old 04-01-2016, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck-the-ripper
i understand what you're saying completely. I would love to go back in time and buy a truck instead. Then find a cheap xj to build where i wouldn't have to worry about the drivability at 70mph.
built wrong !!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
built wrong !!!!!!!
Gtfo here with your opinions. Your jeep is built wrong with its ode to steelers theme. My jeep is built just fine. I daily drive it over 80 miles a day (to Pittsburgh, lol) at speeds 80+ everyday. It drives just fine. My jeep isn't the problem. What I was saying is that I would rather of bought a truck to daily drive/ tow rig and keep it daily stock to retain nice rode manners and comfort. Build an xj where I won't have to worry about bashing into a tree or have to design a suspension that needs to handle highways everyday. It would make building a rig much more simple when you all you have to worry about is off-road driving and not that the tires are perfectly balanced and such.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's too bad the OP overbuilt his Jeep for his needs. There are many directions one can go with their build. It is important to evaluate your needs and build accordingly. As much as I love the look of Jeeps with tall lifts and 35"+ tires I realized this was not going to make sense for me. My Jeep is my daily driver so wheeling wasn't going to be frequently done. It made sense for me to keep the ride close to stock so I went with a 2" AEV spacer lift and 285/70R17 tires. The ride is great. My wife and I enjoy going top down doors off and use the Jeep for everything from our paddle boarding trips, skiing and camping to going out for a night on the town. Jeeps are awesome fun vehicles and I can't see myself in anything else but building it for your needs will go a long way towards fully enjoying it.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost everyone over builds their Jeeps nowdays. Most buy a Jeep and lift it and buy tires before they even go 4 wheeling. Then they never actually go 4 wheeling. lol
Old 04-02-2016, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Yep, "I a new jeep owner and I want to throw on a 4" lift and 37's"

Quick Reply: 08 JKUR I wish I didn't build