Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

2015 JKUR-HR Build Thread - Bright White - Mudmutt

Old 05-19-2015, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I just ordered it. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Racor Hard Top lift

Since my previous hard top hoist (from the TJ) wouldn't work with the JK roof, I did some research and found that the options had definitely changed since my last purchase. Prior to the past 5-6 years, the predominant solution for lifting and (suspended) storing your roof was from one of the two big brands of Jeep specific products. They were never cheap, but they were effective. Now it appears there are other (and better) options which are just common products that have been adapted for this purpose. I went with the Racor lift:

Amazon.com: Racor PHL-1R Pro HeavyLift 4-by-4-Foot Cable-Lifted Storage Rack: Home Improvement

It was not a difficult install and I was able to easily do it by myself. I am considering buying another for the other side of the garage to get some of the other large items off the floor and out of the way.

With 10' ceilings, the cabling was just long enough to reach the roof sitting on the floor. Since I had taken the rood off last week, this was nice as it allowed me to connect and lift the top without any help. And I will easily be able remove/install the top on the Jeep by myself.

I ran two sets of straps this way (see below) to initially attach the roof to the basket. They do not hold the top tight against the basket, so I did not use the pool noodle or any other product between the exposed screws and the top. I may revisit that over time.

I like this as it's seems very secure and allowed for the rear window to close. I also think this will be the easy way to strap the roof to the lift when it's on the Jeep. However I wasn't comfortable with this being the only connections, so I added more straps across the front and under the rear of the top. Ultimately either "set" of straps could fail and it should remain safely connected to the lift.

With the freedom panels on top, and at it's highest point, the lift still hangs about a foot below the ceiling. The top itself hangs a few (3-4) inches below the basket and I have plenty of room to park the Jeep and/or move around the garage without running into the hanging top.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you have to order an additional harness, my radio don't have a place to plug in the RCA connection?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	613363  
Old 06-02-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any tire rub with the 315/70/17 duratracs and the AEV 2" spacer kit?
Old 06-03-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crash n Burn
Did you have to order an additional harness, my radio don't have a place to plug in the RCA connection?
Sorry I thought that was mentioned above. Here is the link to the wiring harness. Definitely look at the 430N backup camera install thread, it has a lot of instructions and info on the whole setup.

This is the harness: Amazon.com: PAC CHYRVD Rear Video Retention Cable For Select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles 2008-2012: Car Electronics

And I purchased this to connect the RCAs: Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 29507 75-Ohm RCA Video Coupler: Electronics
Old 06-03-2015, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
Any tire rub with the 315/70/17 duratracs and the AEV 2" spacer kit?
Without adding longer bump stops, yes they will rub when stuffed. Since I'm going to add a spring lift and I just did the spacers to clear the tires, I'm chancing it right now. Hope to make it through the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival next weekend without any issues.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I just placed an order for the harness. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

I just fixed up something in my garage last night like this. I couldn't justify the price tag of some of those hardtop hoists though so I rigged up one myself. What you did looks like a clever option too though - I like it.

Quick Reply: 2015 JKUR-HR Build Thread - Bright White - Mudmutt