Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

2015 Rubicon Unlimited - Back In a Jeep

Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2015 Rubicon Unlimited - Back In a Jeep

On 4th April 2013 at approximately 14:00hrs I was on my way back from The Shane Company, a local jeweler here in St. Louis. I was making a payment on my future wife’s engagement ring. As I crossed an intersection I had a head on collision at speeds of over 40mph with a Dodge Ram pickup. The impact spun my JK a full 360 degrees causing my two rear tires to impact a curb. The rear passenger side tire bounced cleanly over the cub but the driver’s side caught, pulling the axle clear of the sleeve to be left in the intersection like a toppled tetherball pole. Both of us were completely unharmed but the damage to my 2008 JKU Rubicon was catastrophic. The insurance company elected to total out the vehicle.

This left me with my Mini Cooper that was already being sold. My original plan, before the accident, was to sell my Mini which had acted as my daily driver, use the proceeds to pay off the $5K I owed on the JK, and replace the Mini with a 2014 Subaru BRZ. I ended up selling the Mini, using the proceeds to pay the insurance deductible, and bought the BRZ. I used the money I got from the totaled out JK to pay for my wife’s engagement ring, her wedding ring, and as part of the down payment on the house we now currently live in. I decided to drive the BRZ and resolved to get back to a Jeep someday.

My wife went through a year and a half of watching me sacrifice to make sure our wedding went off without a hitch, our new house was everything we wanted, that she was taken care of, and that we were responsible with our money. She also went through a year and a half of me commenting on every modified Wrangler I saw. Finally she admitted she missed the JK as much as I did and she knew deep down I was always a Jeep man having owned four Jeeps in the past, two YJ's, a XJ, and a JKU. She agreed selling the BRZ and getting a JKU was the best thing for our family and our future kids, if we have any.

So, on 29th July 2015 I signed the papers on my new Rubicon!

2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Anvil w/ Black Interior
Automatic w/ 3.73's
Heated Cloth Seats
Automatic Temperature Controls
Remote Start
3 Piece Freedom Hard Top

Since I've taken delivery I've only done a few minor modifications.

Rugged Ridge Grab Handles (Front and Rear)
Rugged Ridge Floor Mats (Front and Rear)
MOPAR Trunk Mat
MOPAR Door Sills
AntennaX 21" Antenna

I do have a rather extensive set of mods I want to do however. Since this is my new daily driver I'm going to focus on a few comfort things first like and upgraded stereo. I've been working on a wiring diagram for it and this is what I've come up with.

Wrangler Stereo by skippman, on Flickr

Last edited by Skippman; 08-11-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited - Back In a Jeep