Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Alignment

Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

Good Afternoon everyone. I have a 2012 Rubicon with 35" tires and a 4" terraflex lift. I am having alignment issues the jeep pulls to the left and the steering wheel is at an angle to compensate. I have had it wheeling but never experienced anything like this. The dealership says its a tire issue not a mechanical one, however I find that hard to believe. I had an 11 JK with 33" tires and a 2" left and wheeled all the time and never once had an issue. Is there a home remedy or do I need to take it back in and force their hand?
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this same issue after i installed my lift and tires a week ago and found out it was one of my tires pulling.
Try swapping the two front tires and see if the pulling stops or if it changes direction.

You can easily recenter your steering wheel in 5 minutes yourself if you need to.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

We just experienced the exact same issue- a pull to the left after the install of a 3" lift on a 2013 JK Sport. What we were told (and it could be bogus) was that the Jeep wasn't built square and that the welding in the rear wasn't flush and was pushing the alignment off. The fix is supposedly putting adjustable rear control arms to compensate for the pull and allow the Jeep to be aligned properly. Allegedly the welding issue doesn't impact the Jeep as built with the standard tires and only becomes an issue when lifted. The shop we went to (that does a lot of lifts) told us they've only seen the issue on 3-4 other Jeeps. Lucky us...
Old 01-17-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 3" with Nitto Trail (35's) and it pulls as well. I blame the tires, although, I installed the lift, the shop I took my jeep to for an alignment check told me and suggested to have them install an offset ball joint on one side and it eliminates the issue. I didn't do it, bit, it was interesting they called the issue before I drove off. Interesting as in, I think these guys knew their s**t. I don't know of anyone who has swapped the ball joints.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

My '12 is doing the same thing. I'm going to try swapping the tires around this weekend
Old 01-17-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Ours are Nitto Trail 35's on a 3" lift as well. We're going to get the adjustable control arms next week. We were planning on going that route eventually anyway. I'll repost once they're in to update if that solved the issue.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 AM
JK Newbie

Following up on this thread- we did get the adjustable control arms installed and that fixed the problem. That being said, it wasn't cheap since I have very little skill at doing the work myself. Jeep rides great now, though.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by mdcrim
We just experienced the exact same issue- a pull to the left after the install of a 3" lift on a 2013 JK Sport. What we were told (and it could be bogus) was that the Jeep wasn't built square and that the welding in the rear wasn't flush and was pushing the alignment off. The fix is supposedly putting adjustable rear control arms to compensate for the pull and allow the Jeep to be aligned properly. Allegedly the welding issue doesn't impact the Jeep as built with the standard tires and only becomes an issue when lifted. The shop we went to (that does a lot of lifts) told us they've only seen the issue on 3-4 other Jeeps. Lucky us...
"the Jeep wasn't built square and that the welding in the rear wasn't flush and was pushing the alignment off"
Now I have to change my shorts and clean the pee off the carpet
You should be honored that you had a conversation with a rocket scientist. Don't walk but rather RUN away from that dude. OMG...do they still bring home a pay check to feed their kids?
The frames are built on a robotic weld line and never see a human except the millwrights that ensure strict dimensional tolerances are adhered to. Even if the frame was out of spec the Jeep is assembled with adjustable suspension parts that are installed and verified prior to rolling off the assembly line.
OK now go back there and tell the EXPERT that you know he pulled that answer out of his ass and you now want to talk to the service manager.
File this one under 'now I've heard it all' Honey
Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
"the Jeep wasn't built square and that the welding in the rear wasn't flush and was pushing the alignment off" Now I have to change my shorts and clean the pee off the carpet You should be honored that you had a conversation with a rocket scientist. Don't walk but rather RUN away from that dude. OMG...do they still bring home a pay check to feed their kids? The frames are built on a robotic weld line and never see a human except the millwrights that ensure strict dimensional tolerances are adhered to. Even if the frame was out of spec the Jeep is assembled with adjustable suspension parts that are installed and verified prior to rolling off the assembly line. OK now go back there and tell the EXPERT that you know he pulled that answer out of his ass and you now want to talk to the service manager. File this one under 'now I've heard it all' Honey
it's still possible to have welds and holes off. Working in manufacturing myself, you'd be surprised at how often production machines need calibration......
Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdcrim
Following up on this thread- we did get the adjustable control arms installed and that fixed the problem. That being said, it wasn't cheap since I have very little skill at doing the work myself. Jeep rides great now, though.
What was your caster before the arms and what are they now?

Quick Reply: Alignment