Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Do you mind reviewing my build plan?

Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Do you mind reviewing my build plan?

Hi All!

I bought a 15 JKU Sport, 6 speed, about 4 months ago. I've had this jeep built in my head for a long time now and I just want to make sure that 1. I'm not over looking something and 2. that I'm building in the right order. I don't want to have to do rework. This is my daily driver, but I do go back into the woods for hunting and some mudding fun! I live on the east coast, so not too hilly. I plan to run 35s for now, but I'd like to build it so I can cut my fenders and run 37s if I choose to later.

So here's what I've got done so far:
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumper w/ tire carrier
XRC rocker rails
drilled drain holes in mirrors
quadratec mirrors so I can take the doors off
spider web shade
stubby radio antenna
plasti-dipped rims

Here's my vision:

OME 2" HD lift
35's
4.88 gears (not 100% sure on size yet)
wheel spacers (depending on if I stay with stock rims)
winch
fog lights on bumper
a light bar on the windshield
Banks air intake, programmer, and exhaust
Rear pinch seem trim

My questions:
I have the Dana 30 up front. To run 35's do I need to sleeve and/or gusset?
Is 4.88 the right gear for 35/37s in a not too hilly area? I've read the chart but I'd still like some real world feedback.
Is it worth adding a locker to a Dana 30?
What brand of gears are recommended? I've seen G2 and Yukon.

I'm sure that I'll think of more questions later! I've search a lot on this and other sites, there is just soooo much information out there, it's a bit overwhelming!

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 35's and an un-gusseted or sleeved D30 for a few years now and haven't had any problems. Gussets would be good cheap insurance but most people advise against spending much money on a D30 because of their ring and pinion weakness. My personal plan is to save up for a 44 and then add gussets and a truss. It all just depends on how you drive. Do you tend to floor it in mud holes? Drive it easy and you'll be alright. If not, there's an EBay seller with D44's for around $1800.
If you have 3.21 gears currently, you'll need to purchase a new carrier if you plan to switch to 4.88. As for brand names, I've heard that Yukon is good, but so are most other brands. Apparently, most are manufactured by the same people and different companies slap their sticker on them.
Most people advise against locking a D30 because the ring and pinion are on the weak side. Yet, many people do so and have no issues (once again, it depends on how you drive).
Enjoy your jeep at its current state and go wheeling to find out what your jeep needs for the next time!
Edited

Last edited by TreyJK; 07-31-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you mind reviewing my build plan?