Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Gen V LS Install

Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CSM19Z5M
Just my opinion. If your swap was half the cost you didn't buy all new OEM parts to do it. The LS is lighter, has more HP per cubic inch stock, get's better MPG, no mod of the engine compartment was required whatsoever, and the RPM Extreme wiring harness is plug and play and I have tap shift and "tow/haul" with it. The LS3 crate engine is cheaper than the comparable Hemi equal. Other than that ........................
Let's just say we agree to disagree though and leave it at that.
You did not have to change the engine mounts? I did not use a crate motor or trans. I used a truck motor. 400HP has been sufficient. Everything else was brand new lol. One thing is for sure is that both of our Jeeps are much more fun with the V8's.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da20captain
You did not have to change the engine mounts? I did not use a crate motor or trans. I used a truck motor. 400HP has been sufficient. Everything else was brand new lol. One thing is for sure is that both of our Jeeps are much more fun with the V8's.
Yeah, the engine mounts are a given no matter what you put in them. My bad. Other than that, it's too bad MOPAR cares more about their over all manufacturers safety rating than they do about keeping JK buyers happy. They sell so many JK's I guess they are happy with the numbers. There is sure no comparison between driving a 3.8L JK and a big block JK. If I was younger I would do the conversions for a hobby on the side.
Enjoy your JK before the politicians decide we are having to much fun and decide regulate or tax us out of business.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CSM19Z5M
Need some help. Was planning to put a Gen IV 5.3 in my 2008 JKU. Motech has a great kit available to do so. Looking for an engine I found a Gen V 2014 5.3 L83 and 6L80E transmission from a Silverado with 12K on it at a can't pass it up price. Unfortunately, none of the conversion company's support the Gen V motors as yet. The primary differences between the Gen V and earlier Gen IV is in the front accessory drive arrangement and the PCM programing. Motech tells me they are not fielding a Gen V kit until late this year. I could sell the engine and buy a Gen IV crate engine but really want to try to make this work first. Has anyone out there installed one in their JK as yet? If so I would appreciate talking to you. Thanks.
We should be supporting the Gen V engines very soon, I'll be driving an L86 next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxgLCVZNdY8
Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Former Vendor

I take it your cross country trip went well. I have to tell you I was a little nervous when you said you were going to drive across the country, install our LS kit in your son's garage and drive back in a few weeks time.

Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your epic build.

Quick Reply: Gen V LS Install