Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...

Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed they can be nice but normally eliminates the use of slugs.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ringer
If you need crazy driveline angles, look at the offset u joints from Tom Woods. I have run them on a YJ that we had binding issues with and it solved them.
Yeah, I could get away with one on the front. However, if I have an issue, it will be the rear and the offset u-joint is not for the street. I'd lose the t-case out the side before I hit 40 mph, haha.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Cranked away over the last week. Control arms are done. 2" x .250" wall DOM and MetalCloak Duroflex joints.

I've been concerned that the lower control arms may be too weak, so I picked up some 5.5" schedule 40 tube to test fit as lower control arms.

Installed (the front upper is out in the picture as I still have to weld it up).

Finished welding all the brackets. Also welded the tube to the cast. Used a special MIG wire made by Crown Alloy. The stuff works really well, but man was it an erratic arc.

Got the front suspension done and towers welded in. Thankfully, I don't need to cut open the hood. I mounted them high to keep the lift height low and uptravel high. At full bump, my lower arms nearly touch the frame, my upper arm is nearly hitting a motor mount, and the third link tower is more than half way up the height of the engine. Still need to add a strut tower brace over the engine.

The rear is not quite done, but a lot further than it looks. I would have it all welded in, but working on a solution for the rear seat belts. Due to the location of the tower and having to cut so far into the frame, I had to cut the seat belt bolts out. I have the fix, but didn't have time for the fab work. Full bump for the rear is when the upper link on the truss are about 1/4" from going through the floor.

And yes, for those with a good eye, you can see my greatest mod regret. Dynamat... Don't ask. Just know that it will ruin your life when you need to remove it. Thankfully, I am bed lining the interior so I won't have to touch up the paint (if anyone has a great tip to get that crap out, let me know as I have a lot left to go).

Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome man!!

www.overlandoff-road.com
Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

The yj we built had dynomat also. Royal pain in the ass.... Looks good sir!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. When you coming to help with mine. Lol
Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
The yj we built had dynomat also. Royal pain in the ass.... Looks good sir!
Thanks man.

I think what makes it worse for me is knowing that I was the idiot that put it in...
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Looks good. When you coming to help with mine. Lol
Haha. Never again on a JK. If you want to start with a tube chassis, I'll be happy to help.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Haha. Never again on a JK. If you want to start with a tube chassis, I'll be happy to help.
Ahhh but now you know how to do everything so it should be like putting on a regular lift. Lol.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do i feel as though i've seen that pic of your new arm next to the stock arm on face book?

Quick Reply: Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...