Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...

Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waldo_88
I've put a lot of thought into it, but I haven't been able to confirm that it's small enough. I wish I could get my hands on a two door tank to mock up, but they are hard to find!
Is it the tank or the skid that is the issue? The skid isn't very tight to the tank. I can measure my tank next weekend for you if that would help.

I'd be willing to bet that you can solve the issue by trimming the skid.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Is it the tank or the skid that is the issue? The skid isn't very tight to the tank. I can measure my tank next weekend for you if that would help.

hammers, hammers do stuff
Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by awinski
hammers, hammers do stuff
No joke. I've used hammers more than any other tool on this build. I've even opened my lunch with one.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Lol the caps a fair compromise. I may run the fat bitch in honor of abendx when i get there.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

It's hard to be certain at this point. She should be back on her own weight later this week so I will know for sure then.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

A little work before the weekend hits. Finished lengthening the steering shaft. Welded the ends and also drilled and ran some solid stock through each end just in case. Picked up a pump ring for the JK pump that I will use in the new custom tank (thanks to Ringer for the tip on the rings - beats the crap out of spending $200 for a Genright ring).

Also got the final drawing done for the fuel cell. Should go into production next week. The pump/sending unit is currently in surgery to be lengthened for the new tank depth of 14" vs. a stock tank of 8".

Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Woohoo updates!! Haha

Is that triangle notch in the fuel cell for the rear pumpkin clearance?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Woohoo updates!! Haha Is that triangle notch in the fuel cell for the rear pumpkin clearance?
Yes, exactly. It's hard to picture how the tank fits in the Jeep. It will hold 17.5 gallons. The top section will extend into the jeep about 2", but it will be behind the rear seat and I'm just building the floor up around it so will look almost like it came that way. Had to keep it narrow front to back because of the stretch. Originally, I was going to keep it at frame level, but decided to go a couple inches below for the extra volume. I doubt anything will ever hit the skid.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Wow, I just read thru this thread. Can't believe I hadn't done it yet.
Anyway, I feel very stupid after doing so...lol. I'm new to the whole modding thing. I had a total of three wranglers in 15 years and only just did my first lift install in Nov. I'm learning alot but mostly just bolt on mods, I had a shop do the welding I needed done. Would love to learn but just dont have too much free time.
Anyways, hope to learn a lot from you guys. And maybe get a little inspired?!?!
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks!!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Wow, I just read thru this thread. Can't believe I hadn't done it yet. Anyway, I feel very stupid after doing so...lol. I'm new to the whole modding thing. I had a total of three wranglers in 15 years and only just did my first lift install in Nov. I'm learning alot but mostly just bolt on mods, I had a shop do the welding I needed done. Would love to learn but just dont have too much free time. Anyways, hope to learn a lot from you guys. And maybe get a little inspired?!?! Can't wait to see the finished product! Thanks!!!!
Great to hear. That's the point of build threads. Give people ideas and hopefully provide people the confidence to take on projects they didn't think they could do.

Quick Reply: Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...