Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...

Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ade
Looks like your going to have fun this winter, will be watching the progress.

Why the 10.5 over a 14 bolt or D80 in the rear, except that they came in a set.

I like the idea of struts and their tunability, the only disadvantage I have seen is if you blow a seal you have one collapsed corner.
Which D80 are you referring to? If a dynatrac then the answer is obvious why not.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ade
Looks like your going to have fun this winter, will be watching the progress. Why the 10.5 over a 14 bolt or D80 in the rear, except that they came in a set. I like the idea of struts and their tunability, the only disadvantage I have seen is if you blow a seal you have one collapsed corner.
Going to keep a spare coilover in the event a strut blows. It is rare and most of the instances stem from a manufacturing issue a while back that was resolved.

The 10.5 has as much or more clearance than a shaved 14 bolt (about 1.5" over a stock 14 bolt). It's pure beef. I wanted the WMS to WMS to match. Hard to find a 14 bolt that is 72" wide. Already has disc brakes that hook up to the stock lines. The 2011 comes with tone rings, so for very little money I can get them and press them on and all my electronics will work. Basically, it's a strong axle with good ground clearance and that requires very little work to put under a JK. I think the reason you don't see more of them on JKs is that the diff is slightly offset passenger and can have clearance issues with the fuel tank. I won't have that issue.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where exactly can you relocate that bulky gas tank? Not a lot of room under there. It won't fit where the muffler is unless you get an aftermarket tank right? Interested to see what you come up with
Old 11-06-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
Where exactly can you relocate that bulky gas tank? Not a lot of room under there. It won't fit where the muffler is unless you get an aftermarket tank right? Interested to see what you come up with
I'm relocating it to my local recycling location. I posted a CAD image above that gave away the secret location, haha. I'll be using the Genright TJ Crawler tank. Nice and thin with a cutout for diff clearence. I'll be building the floor up in the rear so the tank doesn't sit below frame level. Leaves me enough room for a 7" stretch and a rear seat.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Got some parts in today. Too bad they're for my rear D44. The lower CA brackets were trashed and had a lot cut off, so I'm welding these super beefy Artec brackets on for the new owner. Artec makes some nice stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3796811335.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	583223
Old 11-06-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get a chance make some room in your inbox.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
When you get a chance make some room in your inbox.
Done. For as little storage as email takes, you'd think they could up the capacity just a bit. I like to file emails that are relevant. The 150 max makes that really hard. Wonder if they have an export feature? Hmm.....
Old 11-06-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Going to keep a spare coilover in the event a strut blows.
Might even want to just get an air shock if you are carrying a spare. Cheaper and less tuning than a coilover. Will let you run the day at least. Smaller if you are carrying on the jeep too.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ringer
Might even want to just get an air shock if you are carrying a spare. Cheaper and less tuning than a coilover. Will let you run the day at least. Smaller if you are carrying on the jeep too.
I'll look into it. I was just going to look for something used floating around. I'll see what pops up. Thanks for the idea. I'm starting to realize that saving $25 here and $50 there actually adds up to a crap ton by the time a build is done.

Using short circuit saves a lot though. I was going to buy 90/10 or 98/2. Glad I asked. That said, there is something magical about spray arc. I was hooked the first time I saw the cone. I guess 1/2" skids are overkill - I'll have to find another project.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Which D80 are you referring to? If a dynatrac then the answer is obvious why not.
1995-200? Chevy/Dodge 3500 dually are 72" I believe.

Quick Reply: Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles...