Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

mikeJKUR - 2014 black 4 door Rubicon build.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 6/14/2014

I also got my replacement mirrors in this week also. I found a place the OEM mirrors and only paid $60 for a pair.

Since we finally mirrors went ahead and removed all the doors for the weekend. I mounted them to the tube doors.

Next week the relocation brackets should be and will be able to mount the mirrors the A-pillar.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Default 7/1/2014

Time for an update. I few things didn't go my way.
First I got 2 SOLID diff covers. After I bought them I found out that most diff covers with may contact with suspension if the vehicle is not lifted. I contacted the vendor and he assured me that they had corrected that issue. So I went ahead and did a test fit. Sure enough the track bar hits the diff covers. So that was a no go.
Next up were the mirrors. I got a pair of rough trail mirror relocation brackets for the OEM look a like mirrors I purchased hopping I would have the same view. Will that wss not the case. On the passenger side with the doors off I could barely see the mirror and with soft doors on I can't even see the housing. I also felt the driver's side sat to low so both of came off afer a day of use.
Next was the hi-lift mount. I purchased a Rugged Riggs hi-lift mount from anther jeep owner. He stated that it was only a few months old so I thought it was a good deal for $67 shipped. What he didn't inform me that he drilled 3 extra holes in the unit and that it did not include the hardware. I was having trouble finding the right size spacers so I contacted Rugged Riggs to see if I could purchase the items. They informed me that they do not sell the hardware by itself but they did have a unit in the return bin and would send me the complete hardware kit for no charge.

I really like the design. it takes up no space inside the vehicle and it's really convenient and easy to get to when it's needed.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Default 7/1/2014

Now for some good news. I finally took my vehicle out for it's first trail ride at 4500 miles. I was planning on waiting till I had more armor but I was getting impatient. me and my wife had a few days off in the middle the week and it seemed perfect knowing you would have the whole trail from ourselves so on a Thursday we headed up to George Washington National Forest. I am very familiar with a few the trails in the area so I had no concern of just going up there by ourselves. We did it a few times in our previous vehicles as always nice to be alone and by ourselves.

I found a few spots to test the suspension.

I also discovered the areas that need improvement. There were a few spots that I was getting high centered on due to the long wheel base. A small lift maybe in my future.

I have also have heard that the stock gas tank. I can testify that it is not since I was able to put a small dent in it my first outing. So looks like the gas tank skid will be added to my list of armor needs.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Default 8/16/2014

Just a small update. I finally got around to mounting the fire extinguisher. I had a small one left over from my truck and a great spot for it right on the driver's seat frame.

Normally when I got out on the trails it's just me and my wife but in case I do end up wheeling with someone a want a C.B. I went with the Cooltech system since it looks so clean and does not take up any room.

I also added the 3/4 spacer lift. Since I am planning to keep my stock tires as long as possible I didn't want do to high. It's a small change but noticeable to me. For $40 you can't bet that. Plus it only took me 40mins to do.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build. Sounds like you really know what ya want. How do you like the door rack
Old 08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mr.brav90
Awesome build. Sounds like you really know what ya want. How do you like the door rack
After getting it and placing 1 door on it I immediate disliked it. Didn't find it to be secure way to store the doors. Definitely would not move the cart with the doors it.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coming along nicely man... why the spacer lift, but no wheel spacers? you said money better spent on actual wheels that'll stick out wider, but went the suspension spacer route instead of a new actual lift. i ask because I've thought of doing a leveling kit, spacers, and no lift for a while. BUT i was told any spacer lift at all sucks, ride wise.

how do you like yours? difference? i still think ill wait till i get my full suspension later, long arms, all that, all at once. but that leveling kit calls to me sometimes haha

keep the updates coming dude! and damn your great deals! I can't find ANYTHING worth my time or money on CL around here regarding jeeps... sucks.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RacerAV
coming along nicely man... why the spacer lift, but no wheel spacers? you said money better spent on actual wheels that'll stick out wider, but went the suspension spacer route instead of a new actual lift. i ask because I've thought of doing a leveling kit, spacers, and no lift for a while. BUT i was told any spacer lift at all sucks, ride wise.

how do you like yours? difference? i still think ill wait till i get my full suspension later, long arms, all that, all at once. but that leveling kit calls to me sometimes haha

keep the updates coming dude! and damn your great deals! I can't find ANYTHING worth my time or money on CL around here regarding jeeps... sucks.
When it came to the wheels, a good set of wheel spacers would have cost me 200. Half the price of 4 wheels. Plus I knew what I wanted. I knew I wanted it to set wider and for them to be black so for me the difference for 300 dollars is not that big of a difference.

For the spacer lift I installed, I am really don't know what lift I know or how much of a lift. I know I don't want everything thing bigger then 2" since I want to keep a low center of gravity. I don't plan to change the tires till they wear out and if I do move up size hopefully only to 33's but that will be hard since every other JK I see has 35's and look so good.
With all that being said I did want to go up a little but not to much that my stock tires wound look small. the spacer lift gave me about an inch more of hight and for $40 I get to see test things hopefully to help me decide if and how much I would want to go up from there.

As for the ride, it is only slightly stiffer. Only I can notice it and I only it the first 2 times I drove it after the install. Since then I it feels normal. My wife who drive it a few days a week didn't notice a difference.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Speaking of great deals ever since I first saw pictures of the TJM bumper I wanted and Extreme Terrain was have a holiday sale the bumper bring the price from above 700 to under 600 I did want to wait any more.

Got the TJM Rock Krawler Front Bumper on Friday and had it on by night fall. I had to go out of town for the on Saturday so I wired on the the LED lights that comes with the bumper and relocation the vacuum pump on Sunday. Thanks Gobig for answering my questions.
The bumper went on without a problem. everything lines up great. The only thing I had to do that was not in the instructions was to jack up side of the vehicle to install the winch plate. This maybe do to the fact that I am not lifted.

The approach angle is greatly increase with the new bumper.

Love that the bumper has Hi-lift jacking points for recovery. I test lifted both side and the bumper does not flex.

For the vacuum pump, since I don't have a winch I just filled it now.

I am very happy with the bumper and love the way it looks.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Got to test the LED lights that came with my TJM Rock Krawler Front Bumper.

Quick Reply: mikeJKUR - 2014 black 4 door Rubicon build.