Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

mikeJKUR - 2014 black 4 door Rubicon build.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well he is the latest update. I was planning to add a winch so but superwinch had a 40% Labor day weekend so I picked up a Tigeshark 9500 with synthetic rope for $350.

I did weigh the winch and the bumper since I had it off.

This is what my bumper weigh minus the winch plate.

In my excitement and lack of of knowledge I did not take measurements to see if the winch would fit my bumper. Due to the fact the solenoid control box is mounted on the side and the shape I couldn't mount he winch since I have a recessed bumper.

Last edited by mikeJKUR; 09-23-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

]Let me start by saying if the control box mounted in the middle or different shape I would have just mount the winch and been happy but now I am glad I had to move it. Very pleased with the results.

After talking to superwinch and looking at it myself the box does little to nothing to protect the solenoid environment so I planed on mounting the solenoid without the box. I believe where I have it mounted it is better protected from water, road slat, and mud then if it was still in the box on the winch.

I originally wanted to mounted it behind the grill but didn't want to take the time to make a mount after taking the bumper off 8 times this month for test fit ideas I decide mounting the solenoid to the battery box was the most straight forward way for me to do.

I removed the control box and solenoid from the winch and ran the wires following the factory harness along the right side of the engine bay. I did removed the air filter box to make it easier to run the wires up.

I then removed the battery and the 1 bolt the mounts the battery box the fender. I ran 2 wires in-between the battery box and the fender and the other 3 wires where the battery box meets the fuse box.

For the solenoid, I wanted it set as low as possible in the box. There is one harness that run along the left side of the box. I detached it from the box and drilled 2 new holes for the mounting clips at a lower spot. I drilled 2 more holes for the solenoid and bolted it directly to the box. As for the plug, there was already one hole on top of the box and I mounted it there.

Here is how it looks with the battery in.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

And here are the end results.

I did not have relocated the vacuum pump. I aso plan to have a plate made to cover the top with only the knob showing.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking rig I enjoy the write up... Keep the updates coming
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice build man, I'll be keeping an eye out for your rig on the streets around town!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Oh I forgot to update this. I went to Red Cloud off road park a few weeks ago. Its great to have a park so close to home. I did get to use my new winch.

http://youtu.be/yrOJgq2TmqY At some point I put a dent in my oil pan on one of the trails. I keep saying that skids are the most important thing but keep putting it off. Time to pick a set and order.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great thread, love all the updates! How is the roof cart? I didn't know we could set the hardtop on rear glass like that? I think I'll have to look into something like that since my top takes up the whole garage!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 AM
JK Super Freak

I just noticed you don't have a front license plate. Have any cops pulled you over for it? or do you normally run with one? I only ask because I had to zip tie mine to the stinger. There was nowhere else to put it.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BWoodJK
Great thread, love all the updates! How is the roof cart? I didn't know we could set the hardtop on rear glass like that? I think I'll have to look into something like that since my top takes up the whole garage!
Its not bad. It dose not set on the glass. It sets on the area above the glass and the 2 lower corners of the roof. There is also strap that goes around the roof to help keep it in place. I use painters tap to hold the glass in when removing.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK505
I just noticed you don't have a front license plate. Have any cops pulled you over for it? or do you normally run with one? I only ask because I had to zip tie mine to the stinger. There was nowhere else to put it.
Oh the tag is always on. On the bumper I have the bracket flips up when the winch is needed.

Quick Reply: mikeJKUR - 2014 black 4 door Rubicon build.