Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Official JK-Forum SEMA Show Build Thread!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Official JK-Forum SEMA Show Build Thread!

When Internet Brands approached Desert Jeep (Bill) and I to help represent a sister forum at the SEMA Show we jumped at the opportunity! The SEMA Show is a closed event attracting automotive industries best and showcasing all that the auto industry has to offer. This new subforum is the perfect spot for us to begin by showcasing the two SEMA Show builds but is intended for all members doing jeep builds to share their build. Unlike other subforums this one is to show comprehensive build projects and not just one off additions to your jeep. That said, this SEMA build thread will be open between now and the date we have to get the rigs to Las Vegas (October 31st). So subscribe and check back as we'll be posting up the sponsors contributing to the project, show the process for building up SEMA rigs and provide our fellow members with sort of an "how to" guide from start to finish.

On Facebook? Please join us at our SEMA Build page!
https://www.facebook.com/jkforumsema2014

Last edited by sm_rubi; 08-17-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi

Thumbs up Phase 1: What Have we gotten ourselves into!?

As stated neither Bill (Desert Jeep) or I have any SEMA Show experience. As a matter of fact I would be more than happy to just be attending the show as it's an item on my bucket list. I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that. Anyway this entire process is a definite learning experience which we plan to share with the JK-Forum community. To provide a much more enriched understanding of the process versus merely posting up some pics for members to over.

Over the years both Bill and I have made great contacts some of whom have not only been to the SEMA Show but have participated with show builds. So we contacted them but before doing so we did a little research of our own. Using a simple Google search I stumbled onto this great article which provided an overview.

What Is A Sponsorship Proposal? | Vortech Superchargers' Blog

Then the fun began and we reached out to our network of friends who were in the same position we now find ourselves in. And like sponges we asked question after question about everything from process to where to stay and what to expect. First up was friend and forum member Troy Tertany Admin for JK-Adventure. Over the years Troy has build something like 14 rigs for SEMA culminating in 4 builds he did for SEMA show in 2013. Anyway Troy was very helpful in providing background on what to expect who was helpful in his builds as well as some pitfalls. Thanks for the time and beer Troy we really appreciated the help provided.

Meeting with JK-Adventure

Next up was a trip to one of the forums more active local sponsors and overall bad ass jeep builders Rebel Off Road. Bill met with Jason to discuss our builds, the SEMA Show, build process and again what to expect during the build process. In addition Jason personally helped provide contacts and even helped to introduce Bill to some of the manufacturers we had our eyes on to help out with the build. Feeling pretty good Bill really was chomping at the bit to get this process moving!

Another friend of Bill's was Michael of Dragon Aftermarket who has extensive knowledge of the SEMA Show process and the build process specifically. Last year he built up the Haro rig and he provided us the first look at what a real Marketing Package should look like and boy was it polished! Talk about professional he really does know his stuff and how to market his products and show value to his brand partners.

Haro build by Dragon Aftermarket

Lastly, I reached out to a Facebook friend of mine Dave Doetsch owner of Doetsch Offroad and builder for the OMIX-ADA's SEMA Show 2013 rig. He echoed much of the same that we've been hearing as well as how he felt we need to work our social media plan to build interst in the projects. One thing he mentioned to us was the use of a good artist for the rendering and the importance it plays in the build.

OMIX-ADA artist rendering

So armed with all that knowledge and feeling a bit overwhelmed, before we started, Bill and I began working on the plan when suddenly I realized a comment Troy had made to me was coming through very clearly now. He said expect this project to be like a second job...you can expect to spend at least what will equate to a part time job on this process. It's very time consuming. Boy are we learning that piece of advice now! Anyway thanks to all the help from our network of friends we were able to come up with a Marketing Plan and move forward with the next phase in the process so stay tuned!

JK-Forum SEMA Show proposal

Last edited by sm_rubi; 08-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed! This will be fun to watch and I'll be looking forward to seeing your rigs at SEMA.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks Dave we hope this thread will benefit anyone who's ever wanted to attend the SEMA Show or build a rig up for the show!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by CALIJK
Subscribed! This will be fun to watch and I'll be looking forward to seeing your rigs at SEMA.
Ditto Dave
Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Build Partner: TeraFlex Suspensions

The great folks at TeraFlex have provided an Elite LCG Long Arm Suspension System, a rear Monster Track Bar and Drop Bracket, and an HD Frame Brace and Drag Link Flip Kit. This awesome suspension will be the foundation of El Pig's metamorphosis. We'll have photos of the installation and final look the first week of September after Coin Jar Off Road in San Marcos, CA completes the install at the end of August.

A huge thank you goes out to TeraFlex, longtime friends and sponsors of the forum.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Default New Build Partner: Rebel Off Road

Rebel Off Road is providing a Recon Coilover Conversion for El Pig! We'll be doing a driveway installation of this bolt-on solution in September. Rebel says that if you can use a drill and turn a wrench you can install this kit. Whew, we barely qualify.

Thank you, Rebel, for your great support!

http://www.rebeloffroad.com/category-s/2999.htm

Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I like this kit as a coilover option
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Default New Build Partner: Adams Driveshaft and Off Road

We're very pleased to announce Adams Driveshaft and Off Road as a build partner for our SEMA Show Jeeps, providing us with their proven front and rear 1350 CV driveshafts.

JK Front 1350 Rock Crawler CV Driveshaft - Adams Driveshaft and Off Road

Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DesertJeep
We're very pleased to announce Adams Driveshaft and Off Road as a build partner for our SEMA Show Jeeps, providing us with their proven front and rear 1350 CV driveshafts.
Great. If you are extra nice to Adams maybe they will get you some trail spares!

Quick Reply: Official JK-Forum SEMA Show Build Thread!