Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

paulMACK's jku build

Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking start to the build. Any reason for going 4.88s not 4.56s for the 35s?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ade
Nice looking start to the build. Any reason for going 4.88s not 4.56s for the 35s?
Thanks! And yeah during my research I found that there is a premium price for 4.56. Not too sure why but 4.56 is 60 bucks more than 4.88 in the brand I was looking at. Also the 4.88's give me room to grow if I ever get envious of bigger tires. Do you think 4.56 would be better? If so why?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

4.56 would give you better daily driving performance, but 4.88 will give you better low-end torque, but you will find your engine running higher RPM at normal highway speeds, resulting in poorer fuel efficiency. If you haven't already seen it, this chart is a good guide for axle ratio selection:

Tire & Gear Ratio Chart at Morris 4x4 Center
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

That chart is gospel as far as I am concerned, but if you have an auto go with a step higher gear than the green section. Also, keep in mind this is an estimate of many factors. Sure the bigger the tire, the heavier it is but km2s weigh 20lbs less than mud grapplers for example. That's a lot of variance in rotational mass. I'm not sure where MT2s lie on that spectrum. How is your gas mileage now with the 35s? Where are your rpms when on the highway?

Also, OP in my opinion, if you truly think you may want bigger tires later on then I would go with 4.88s like you said. I have the 6 speed and am picking up my 35s next week. I already snagged a set of 4.88s so I will run a little high rpm wise, but I don't mind the loss of fuel economy for the added low-end. I won't have them done yet so it will be fun driving around with my 3.21s trying to push 100lbs at each corner (wheels and tires together).

I have a dirt bike that I carry around so I do tow (albeit not much weight). And like you, OP the bigger tire envy is a real struggle haha. So 4.88s are the right choice in my mind.

All that aside, the jeep looks great! I like the progress you've made. We are on a similar path with our builds except mine didn't have the tow package so I needed to buy a new carrier when swapping gears.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love the color, same as mine. Can you take a picture of the rain guards down along side the body to show how far they stick out. Also what is your opinion on them. Most I have seen stick out a mile and look real flimsy. I also when 4.88. They do well with my good years dt it is definitely high for a 35 but I hope to move to a 37 next.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cpeterso87
4.56 would give you better daily driving performance, but 4.88 will give you better low-end torque, but you will find your engine running higher RPM at normal highway speeds, resulting in poorer fuel efficiency. If you haven't already seen it, this chart is a good guide for axle ratio selection:

Tire & Gear Ratio Chart at Morris 4x4 Center
I've never seen that chart. But after looking at it the jeeps stock gears are way under par for the size tires it comes with (32's I think). I wish I could test drive the gears so I can better decide!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blizz
That chart is gospel as far as I am concerned, but if you have an auto go with a step higher gear than the green section. Also, keep in mind this is an estimate of many factors. Sure the bigger the tire, the heavier it is but km2s weigh 20lbs less than mud grapplers for example. That's a lot of variance in rotational mass. I'm not sure where MT2s lie on that spectrum. How is your gas mileage now with the 35s? Where are your rpms when on the highway?

Also, OP in my opinion, if you truly think you may want bigger tires later on then I would go with 4.88s like you said. I have the 6 speed and am picking up my 35s next week. I already snagged a set of 4.88s so I will run a little high rpm wise, but I don't mind the loss of fuel economy for the added low-end. I won't have them done yet so it will be fun driving around with my 3.21s trying to push 100lbs at each corner (wheels and tires together).

I have a dirt bike that I carry around so I do tow (albeit not much weight). And like you, OP the bigger tire envy is a real struggle haha. So 4.88s are the right choice in my mind.

All that aside, the jeep looks great! I like the progress you've made. We are on a similar path with our builds except mine didn't have the tow package so I needed to buy a new carrier when swapping gears.
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it! Right now my jeep says it gets 15mpg but I have not reprogrammed for the larger tires so that's not completely accurate. And I'm glad you like the jeep I'm very happy with it so far. Just need to get the bumpers upgraded and ill be set. For a little bit at least.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr.brav90
Love the color, same as mine. Can you take a picture of the rain guards down along side the body to show how far they stick out. Also what is your opinion on them. Most I have seen stick out a mile and look real flimsy. I also when 4.88. They do well with my good years dt it is definitely high for a 35 but I hope to move to a 37 next.
I'll take a picture next time I get a chance when it's light out. I like the rain guards a lot. They stick out maybe an inch and are very sturdy. You don't even notice them looking down the jeep. What's your mpg with the 4.88 and 35's?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	591696

Views:	117
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	591697

Views:	119
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	591698

I installed the Lod side rails over the weekend. I like the side rails a lot. They seem very sturdy and look great. The only thing that was a pain was the install. If you plan to install something of the like, make sure you spend some extra money on a good tap. It will save you loads of time. Also buy the tap and drill in advance. It took me 3 stops and 100 dollars to finally get the tap and drill. But completely satisfied with the product. Just needs better installation instructions. I can write better instructions up if anyone needs them
Old 01-13-2015, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome I would appreciate that. If I am babying it and not speeding on highway I can get mid 19 on highway and 16 ish in the city. I say on average it is high 16 or low 17. But I don't really have to do long daily commutes. I use the AEV procal but some people say the super chip flashpaq does more with the tunes. I know it did wonders for the older engine but can't say for the pennstar.

Quick Reply: paulMACK's jku build