Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Terflex Build Show Off Thread - Happy with it!!! How about your's?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 JKU Rebuild - How Teraflex and Lockers restored excitement for my JKU

I am so excited about the rebuild I have just completed on my 2011 JKU Sport. Here's my story:

I got to a point where I think many of us do. I had to ask myself, "do I keep investing in this 3.8L box of rocks or do I buy a 3.6L?" Given how Chrysler has increased their prices on the JK, I couldn't stomach the thought of paying their premiums. I'd love to have the 3.6L engine but not that bad. I really did not want to rebuy all the upgrades I have done so far nor reinstall them. So with that, I embarked on a MAJOR upgrade and Teraflex is the foundation of the new platform.

It was easy for me to make a decision to go with Teraflex. I am already running their 3.5" lift with their monster track bar, front LCA's, and rear tire carrier. I have been really pleased with the comfort and stability of my driving experience and how reliable (and rust free) their products had been for the past 2 years. Their prices always seem to be competitive and their customer service dept is the best. They always have been over the top helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. I cannot say enough good things about their dedication to their customers and products.

I was ready to step up to 37's and knew that although my D30 was trussed and gusseted, I was running the risk of bending it on the trails, with the much heavier 37" tires. I also knew that my 3.7 gears weren't going to cut it any longer, as they were already struggling with my 35's. I wanted to go with 5.13's and read enough and talked to a number of shops to learn that they don't run well in the D30. (I also wanted lockers now) So as I considered the cost of sleeving the axle and regearing, it just made more sense, for me, to sell the D30 and upgrade to a D44... It really wasn't that much more of an investment to go that route once I found a buyer for my D30. I now had the Terra 44 1/2" axle in my cross hairs.

I know, I know, you're gonna say, "why would you do all that, just to go with 37's and lockers?" or "D30's can run 37's just fine and you could have gotten away with 4.88's...you spent all this money when you could have sleeved it for $500...what a bonehead move!" Trust me, I hear you and my wife probably said all those things and more, to me. I did a lot of reading and research that could have persuaded me down a couple different paths. But at the end of the day, I wasn't trying to cut corners or just get by... I wanted to wheel with confidence and mitigate the risk of breaking things on the trail (note: I said mitigate not eliminate ). I felt that I would pay for it later, if I did just sleeve the D30, and would be one of those write ups that cursed the D30. I would have regretted going to 4.88's. I've finally accepted the "buy once, cry once" saying. I've spent enough money, over the past 4 years on this jeep, cutting corners or going small...only to regret not going big the first time, and ended up costing myself more money in the process of continuous upgrades.

So to that end, here is the list of Teraflex parts that have reinvented my JK and left me grinning from ear to ear.
- Terra 44 1/2" tube axle
- Teraflex front Epic bumper w/ hoop
- Teraflex adjustable control arms all 8 arms
- Teraflex drag link and tie rod
- Teraflex Big Brake Kit + Master Cylinder
- Teraflex Single Rate Sway Bar
- Teraflex Ball Joints
- Teraflex Rear Dif Cover
- Teraflex tuned Fox 2.0 Shocks w/ Reservoirs

Non Teraflex parts to complete the build and perpetuate this grin
- Eaton E-Lockers front and rear
- Nitro 5.13 Gears
- 10 Factory Chromoly Axle Shafts #front and rear#
- 17" Spyderlock wheels
- 37" NITTO Trail Grapplers
- Factor 55 ProLink

I cannot tell you how cool and convenient it is, for a non rubicon driver, to disconnect the sway bar with the twist of a button. I had JKS quicker discos before and it was such a greasy/ muddy experience, as well as difficult to get on level ground, to reinstall them for the drive home. This sway bar disconnects and reconnects in less than 3 seconds.

The 5.13's have put some umph back into this ol' 3.8L. I'm getting 17 MPG when driving a constant 70 MPH on the freeways. The 37's have taken some getting used to but the heavy duty front Terra 44, drag link, tie rod, and control arms, have brought a solid foundation and steering stability for these heavy beasts.

The big brake kit...wow! I'm no longer scared about inadequate braking. This thing stops on a dime. I have nothing but great things to say about this front brake kit and a new sense of safety I feel while driving.

Wheelin' with lockers opened my eyes and caused me to see the light. #Hallelujah! Why did I wait so long to do this upgrade? I cannot even begin to explain how much better and how much more confidence lockers give a driver. All you Rubicon guys/ gals...I get it now...I get it. Thanks for not rubbin' it in when I saw you just roll up obstacles with ease and it took me a good 3 times to do it or I couldn't' do it at all.

I always get lots of looks and compliments on the front bumper. I'm pleased with how Teraflex designed it. It definitely compliments the jeep.

So there you have it. It's taken a number of months to get this put together, dialed in, and performing. It has been well worth the time. I spent less to rebuild than it would have been to rebuy a newer jeep.

There are many things that bring happiness to our lives...family, faith, friends, good health, employment, the trails....and oh ya, a successful Jeep build!

Happy Jeeping. Stay safe out there!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151001_08_48_23_Pro.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	635867   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151001_08_49_25_Pro.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	635868   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151001_08_49_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	635869   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151001_08_48_10_Pro.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	635870   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150922_09_59_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	635871  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150930_18_46_45_Pro 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	635872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slade, KY (Creek).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	635873   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151127_11_56_54_Pro.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	635874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slade 02.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	635875   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151127_15_41_39_Pro.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	635876  

Last edited by JC's Unlimited; 02-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:20 AM
JK Junkie

Beautiful build !!!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Beautiful build !!!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Terflex Build Show Off Thread - Happy with it!!! How about your's?