Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

TPMS is it worth keeping

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS is it worth keeping

Hey everyone I have a 08 2dr jk x. I am going to be putting on a set of 35s with new rims. Is it worth buying a new set of TPMS sensors or should I just run the regular rubber stems. Also if I run rubber stems what issues will I have as far as the jeep trying to look for the sensor. Thanks every. P.s. selling the old rims and mounted tires with the sensors to a friend
Old 11-12-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Recently I realized my TPMS lagged when reporting to my instrument panel, so when airing back up I would be at 40 PSI and not know it. I thought it was taking longer than normal to air up, and I was right in the end.

I have also heard people with bigger tires running them at lower PSIs than the alarm allows for, so it is always in alarm. The FlashPaqs are able to override this tho, so you would want to get one of those to turn the alarm off either way.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I just went up to 35's. I got new TPMS. The other day my front driver was going flat, I looked at it, it appeared normal. The 35's are stiffer and don't sag as much. When I got in the jeep it told me it was down to 20psi and falling. If I hadn't had the sensor I would have ended up changing it out on the side of the road rather than in the garage.

I have a flashcal, and they now have a free extension you can download to turn off the warning, or knock it down to 25psi, so it won't go off all the time running lower pressure.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Also, just as warning in case you were looking at ordering tires online, while Tirerack.com may be cheaper than others, what they don't tell you is their road hazard and warranty does not apply to any LT tire.

I will never purchase anything from them ever again.

I'll be going through Discount Tire or directly through Goodyear from now on. I learned my lesson.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

A dealer can change it to whatever pressure u want if u don't have a programmer. Idk if all will do it for free but mine did and I didn't buy the jeep from them. I have 35s and had them set mine to 30 psi. If I remember correctly. The low pressure light doesn't come on until ur 2 lbs below the pressure u set it at. I run my tires at 31.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely NOT worth it.

Think about it. When you add a TMPS sensor, you're adding weight. That weight has to be offset when balancing. And people wonder why they have such a hard time balancing their 35's on aftermarket rims.

Save the money and put it towards an AEV ProCal
Old 11-12-2015, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
Definitely NOT worth it.

Think about it. When you add a TMPS sensor, you're adding weight. That weight has to be offset when balancing. And people wonder why they have such a hard time balancing their 35's on aftermarket rims.

Save the money and put it towards an AEV ProCal
The sensor is too light to pose a balancing problem. Balance weights typically weigh much more than the sensor.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-13-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
Hey everyone I have a 08 2dr jk x. I am going to be putting on a set of 35s with new rims. Is it worth buying a new set of TPMS sensors or should I just run the regular rubber stems. Also if I run rubber stems what issues will I have as far as the jeep trying to look for the sensor. Thanks every. P.s. selling the old rims and mounted tires with the sensors to a friend
If you plan to have your tire shop do repairs, rotations and future balancing you need to see if they will do that without TPMS sensors. The shop I use will not mount without TPMS sensors in TPMS equipped vehicles, saying it's the law or something.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although they can sometimes be a pain, I love them.

My wife and kids drive my Jeep. I like knowing the minute there is a problem with one of my tires. Preventing a roadside flat that could result in injury, accident, or some other tragic event makes it all worth it.

I disagree with the balancing idea. There are millions of perfectly balanced tires on the road everyday that have sensors without issues,
Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

When I changed wheels and tires I ditched the TPMS. More of a headache to me.

Quick Reply: TPMS is it worth keeping