Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran part of Hells Revenge yesterday, it was unreal.

I went into the Escalator, did trail work with great people from Tread Lightly then turned around and came back out.
I was told my Jeep would have gone right through, doing all the drive arounds obviously.

AEV 2.5", stock Rubicon 32" tires, jeep didn't scrape once.

I'm extremely happy to have gotten the Rubicon now, the crawl speed of low range 1st gear is impressive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wjQJN30.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	679394

-Dan
Old 03-24-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're getting know the new jeep. That is a great picture.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

I had an awesome time at EJS in Moab, it really is a Jeep addicts dream.
I'm in Michigan now, getting closer to the coast to ship the Jeep over the Atlantic.

Living in the Jeep for a few weeks has promoted me to make all kinds of minor tweaks and adjustments for living convenience.

Space has always been at a premium, so I made a cutlery/tool holder on my Trailgator Tailgate Table, so I can leave often-used items there when the table is closed.

Let me know if you would like me to write up a HOW-TO article so you can make your own.

-Dan
Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Just a suggestion... if you are going to be alone its best to use beadlocks and carry spare inner tubes. The environment there can eat up tires quickly.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Just a suggestion... if you are going to be alone its best to use beadlocks and carry spare inner tubes. The environment there can eat up tires quickly.
Of the hundreds (thousands?) of Overlanders out there driving around the world, I know of very, very few running beadlocks.

I've got a spare stems and valves, a plug kit and an ARB compressor.
Hopefully they'll limp me to the next town which is guaranteed to have a tire place.

-Dan
Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grecy
Of the hundreds (thousands?) of Overlanders out there driving around the world, I know of very, very few running beadlocks. I've got a spare stems and valves, a plug kit and an ARB compressor. Hopefully they'll limp me to the next town which is guaranteed to have a tire place. -Dan
Nothing in life is guaranteed. Ask me how I know
Old 04-04-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Nothing in life is guaranteed. Ask me how I know
Oh, I agree 100%.

I would never have driven 40k miles from Alaska->Argentina if I thought it was.

I certainly wouldn't be setting out to drive 80k miles around Africa if I thought everything was going to run according to plan.

Unexpected events are expected, and I always like to say problems are just opportunities to make new friends.
Some of my best adventures on my last trip where when things went "wrong", like running out of gas in Argentina, or getting lost most of the time

-Dan
Old 04-05-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I lived in Africa for a combined 7 years. We always carried two spares on short trips into the jungle or desert. You sir are embarking on an excellent adventure, I am just giving you my experiences to keep it excellent. Odds are you will be good. But Murphy's law is a bitch.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 04-06-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I lived in Africa for a combined 7 years. We always carried two spares on short trips into the jungle or desert. You sir are embarking on an excellent adventure, I am just giving you my experiences to keep it excellent. Odds are you will be good. But Murphy's law is a bitch.
Awesome man, you must have some stories!

Yeah, if I break something major (driveshaft, alternator, starter) I'll be sticking my thumb up and figuring it out from there.
Same goes for multiple flat tires I can't patch myself, or other major failures.

I can't carry spares for everything, so it is what it is

-Dan
Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Agree... slow and steady! Use the winch when it doubt.

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me